Leverguns for Self Defence

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Leverguns for Self Defence

Post by KCSO »

Shooting USA had a real good one last night on why a lever gun is a good choice for a patrol rifle or a self defence gun.
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Leverguns for Self Defence

Post by BlueStateSaint »

For those of us who didn't see it, could you provide a synopsis?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

From what I understand...

"Leverguns: Good. Defeats badguys, doesn't scare the Muggles" ;)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Ironsights wrote:From what I understand...

"Leverguns: Good. Defeats badguys, doesn't scare the Muggles" ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Have all of you seen the youtube posting of 86er shooting at that moving target listed as Fast86er by RKRODLE? Rossi Puma in .480 Ruger, 325 grain bullets moving about 1400 fps, and he was hitting that target fast enough to make it sound almost like a semi-auto. I can't say that I have ever seen anyone else do better with a rifle, and that was only a little better than the video of him with his 1886 in .45-70. He is proof that a leveraction is plenty in the hands of an experienced man. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uGICBfDFdQ
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Upshot was that the lever gun is just as good as anything for home defence and as was said doesn't scare the sheeple. Thhey went through some room clearinng exercises and covered barrel signature and tactic. The did show one fellow who used a short stoke 73 in 44-40 and I sure wouldn't want to exchange shots with that guy, even if I had a Thompson!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

piller wrote:Have all of you seen the youtube posting of 86er shooting at that moving target listed as Fast86er by RKRODLE? Rossi Puma in .480 Ruger, 325 grain bullets moving about 1400 fps, and he was hitting that target fast enough to make it sound almost like a semi-auto. I can't say that I have ever seen anyone else do better with a rifle, and that was only a little better than the video of him with his 1886 in .45-70. He is proof that a leveraction is plenty in the hands of an experienced man. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uGICBfDFdQ
I've got to try that sometime..... 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
huntershooter
Levergunner

Post by huntershooter »

Back in "the day", Jeff Cooper was a proponent of the 94 Win. in .30/30 as a "patrol rifle".
He was argueably eccentric and certainly outspoken; but one can't deny his opinion carried some weight.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

would be hard to beat a 16" trapper chambered in .357 s&w magnum for this purpose.
brokenhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brokenhand »

I thought the one with the tactical rail system and flashlight was kinda neat looking. Who would have thought ?
Jim
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I'm thinkin the marlin 1894 CB-L I'm getting cut to 16.25" will be a decent 'house-clearer'. 33" OAL, 10+1 of .45 caliber, short stroked for rate of fire AND EASY CYCLING. What's not to like ;)
Certified gun nut
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

To me when you say "home defense" you mean at the door, or in the door. A 30-30 is for sure not needed there, in fact the 357 from a rifle, might be too much. To me a 357 rifle loaded with 38 specials, and a FAST expanding bullet would be the ticket. Not too much penetration, and plenty of damage to the recipient, plus a few more in the magazine.

Just saw some show the other day and they tested all sorts of calibers for over penetration, and believe it or not he shotgun loaded with bird shot was the one least likely to go through walls, and the 223 with a varmint type bullet was next.

The pistol loads, 357, 9mm, 45 colt, and 45 ACP all went through about 3 additional walls.