truck gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

truck gun

Post by mescalero1 »

Thinking about getting a H&R handi rifle to keep in a backpack in the truck, .223 caliber.
Would like to get .22LR & .22Mag chamber inserts for it as well.
Anybody have any experience with how the .223 barrels do with adapters & .22LR?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: truck gun

Post by J Miller »

m1,

Just for my curiosity, why a single shot?

I under stand the chamber inserts, those would add versatility to the unit. I've never used any so I can't say anything about them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

My guesses are: Simple, Rugged and Inexpensive.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

It is just a always in the truck gun,with some other essentials in the backpack.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Yeah, well, I'm still with Joe. Why limit yourself to a single shot? An old lever action would give you a lot more versatility.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My only experience with .22LR through .223 is using a Ceiner Kit in an M16.

Works pretty well actually.

Don't know how the sleeves work, but the accuracy should be decent.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My truck gun is a Rossi 44 "Car-Bean".

My Emergency FA platform is the Handi-Rifle with three barrels, 44 mag, .308, & a 12 ga. W/ 3 1/2" chamber. I bought the H & R travel case, the barrels & stock fit in the case and is less than 2 feet in length and paks in a small space. Behind the Drivers seat of my Chevy Tahoe. Ammo carried for all includes, 100 44mag. 240 gr., 100 .308 165 gr. BTS, 1 box of 12 ga.Winchester Super X BB's., 1 box of 12 ga. Winchester Super X # 5's. 5 5/paks of 00 buck, 5 5/ paks of # 2 buck & one box of # 7 1/2 shot heavy game load.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Lefty Dude,
I think you have the idea.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have used a conversion kit in a colt Ar-15 and had great results. If you do it, post a range report on it.

I personally use a NKJ 92 in .357 for my truck gun and multpurpose weapon. I wish it was a takedown.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I do not live where leaving a gun in the truck all the time is a wise thing. I do carry a gun in the truck. It might be anything but most often it has been the Marlin 1894C .357 Mag.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

It's no big deal in New Mexico, in the rural parts at least.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

mescalero1 wrote:Thinking about getting a H&R handi rifle to keep in a backpack in the truck, .223 caliber.
Would like to get .22LR & .22Mag chamber inserts for it as well.
Anybody have any experience with how the .223 barrels do with adapters & .22LR?
We live in the same neighborhood and a truck rifle is a good idea. And a truck rifle that's cheap and easy to replace when stolen is an even better idea. Personally, I wouldn't waste time on the rimfire inserts. The .223 Remington is a good cartridge for the application, but the rimfires are too weak. And the Handi Rifle is too heavy to justify rimfire use. Wal-Mart sells bulk Federal .223 Remington at a good price.

I like the cheap surplus rifles for truck guns. They work well and can be replaced when stolen.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

cnjarvis wrote:My guesses are: Simple, Rugged and Inexpensive.
So is my #4 Mk2 SMLE. Great truck gun.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Lefty has a pretty good idea right there. The only thing is I would have to substitute in the .45lc for the .44.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

When I found my Handi at my favorite toy store two years ago, it was on the used rack in 44 mag. in almost new condition. I paid $150.00 for the piece. I found the barrel accessory program, did some research and selected the two additional barrels. I chose the .308 barrel because it will stop & put down any Man or Beast in the USA. Ammo availability was of primary concern, also it is a current US army cartridge. (The 223 is not an all purpose round). The .308 barrel, I ordered with iron sights. This added $45.00 to the barrel price. I have a 2-6 power compact Scope installed, however the iron sights are back-up and are sighted in for 100 yards. The Scope mounts are Weaver style and can be removed quickly. For the Shotgun barrel I selected the Turkey barrel, with replacement choke tubes. The 3 1/2" chamber allows all 12 ga. shells to be used. I have other 12 ga. guns, however I would never consider throwing any of them in the trash, canal, river or lake if need be.

For my purpose the Handi-Rifle platform is disposable, unlike my Rossi 92 44 car-bean.

My go-to guns are my Rossi 44, and my Ruger stainless Single Six 22 W/ 22 dual cylinders.
No Automatics for me, thank you. Manual is the only way to go.
I own a nice Browing HP in 40 S&W. I choose to carry a Charter Bulldog Pug in 44 special. I shoot wheel guns for Cowboy Action and put a lot of rounds down range. My comfort zone is revolver's & Lever Rifles.

If one were to buy a Handi Rifle and have only one barrel, the best all-around barrel selection in my opinion would be the 30-30, or .308 or the 44 mag. :wink:
SASS# 51223

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Andrew wrote:Lefty has a pretty good idea right there. The only thing is I would have to substitute in the .45lc for the .44.
45Lc can not be found as easily as 44 mag.

44 mag. is the better choice.

Walk in a Sporting Goods store, small town Hardware Store and ask for a box of 45Lc's, then 44 mag.
90% of the time if you ask for 45Lc, you will walk out empty handed. Not so with 44 mag., you may not have the best selection but you will find ammo.

A empty un-loaded Firearm has the same use as a club. :roll:
Last edited by Lefty Dude on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SASS# 51223

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Original purchase will be one of the rifle calibers, so the frame will qualify for any barrel in the barrel program, the .50 cal. blackpowder being the first one.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

If you are pondering upon an H&R Handi-Rifle as a Truck Gun, here are links to three articles by the notorious Mr A. K. Church on the subject.

Mr. Church has spent an inordinate amount of time studying, researching, and experimenting on Truck Guns and you will find his musings invaluable.

http://milesfortis.us/church/akc02.htm

http://milesfortis.us/church/akc08.htm

http://milesfortis.us/church/akc03.htm

I have a phobia about leaving guns in an unattended automobile. It is far too easy to break in and steal them. But when I'm out and about, there is often a Rossi M-92 SRC in .357 Magnum behind the seat.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I've accumulated a lot of "truck guns" over the years. My conclusion is: I might need more trucks!

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
JJ_Miller
Shootist

Post by JJ_Miller »

I am rather fond of a Russian M 44 Carbine in 7.62,54R. I killed several nuisance bears, road damaged whitetail and groundhogs before I retired from the State Police and never found it lacking.................................JJ
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mescalero1 wrote:It's no big deal in New Mexico, in the rural parts at least.
Not a big deal here to have the gun but thefts from vehicles are so common...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I have occasion to want to carry a long gun when out and about, but the idea of losing bothers me. I find my MAS Model 36 in 7.5X54 French is a durable handy rifle, even has a bayonet for tires. I got the ammo in stripper clips, loads fast and easy. If something happened to it it wouldn't be a big lose. It is an ugly rifle as well. ATB
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

mescalero1 wrote:....
Would like to get .22LR & .22Mag chamber inserts for it as well....
I would skip the adapters and just load some light .223 loads instead.
A cast bullet over a pinch of powder would be as cheap and handier than the adapter and ammo for it.

Jack
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Wonder, how low can you go with a .223; you might be on to something here.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I don't think you can do much better than a 30/30.

I believe a truck gun should be one that is reliable in function, both quick and easy to shoulder/fire, and one you can easily find ammo for.

A well used perfectly functional Marlin 30-30 can be found on most used gun racks for cheaper than the Handy rifles go for new.

I picked up an early 80s 30AW for $110 last year that had a thoroughly pitted mag tube and barrel (none inside the bore though).

I replaced the mag tube and spring for $15. Did a little judicious sanding on the barrel and reblued it.

It'll put all 7 shots into less than 2" at 100yds and into less than 4" at 200yds. It will shoot MOA when I want to hunker down and get serious with it.

It's my goto deer rifle when longer shots are expected, and rides in my Jeep alot of the time.

Not bad for $125 and I won't be out that much money should it end up missing.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

mescalero1 wrote:Wonder, how low can you go with a .223; you might be on to something here.
My old Lyman 46th manual shows loads down around 1700 fps.
I've heard a lot of talk from folks developing loads for Trailboss powder in bottlenecked rifle cases. The manufacturer does not approve of this application but I have heard a lot of positive comments and no mention of problems. The velocities quoted seem to run right around 1100-1200 fps.
I think that 4759 is also frequently used for light loads.
You might want to join up at the CBA forum and look up Ed Harris. He has done a lot of work with light loads in many calibers. He has had many articles published on the subject and seems more than willing to share his results.
I've also seen many references to using 'single digit' loadings of some of the faster burning shotshell powders to make small game and plinking loads.

You will find many references to subsonic or catsneeze loads if you look around a bit.

Jack
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

rjohns94 wrote:I have used a conversion kit in a colt Ar-15 and had great results. If you do it, post a range report on it.

I personally use a NKJ 92 in .357 for my truck gun and multpurpose weapon. I wish it was a takedown.
Give Nate a credit card number and a call; I'm sure it can be !
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm with Rjohns... someday I'll get another SS 92... in takedown. 8)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Taylor's has a case colored one I need 3 or 4 of. .......one to carry horseback and in the truck, one to shoot, one to fondle and polish, and one as backup!

Actually, I kinda prefer to only have one of each. When I only had one Vaquero, and two on layaway,(one to match the one I had, the other, a Sheriff's model) the one I had seemed really neat, and got polished frequently. Once I got the others, it kinda cheapened the ownership "experience".
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

NKJ won't do a takedown, I asked when I ordered this rifle. I'm trying to get Wild West Guns to do it. If they say yes, I will ship the 92 straight to them and commence dumping all my other rifles except the .22lr. I'd even give up my beloved 45-70 if this 92 was a takedown.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjohns94 wrote:NKJ won't do a takedown, I asked when I ordered this rifle. I'm trying to get Wild West Guns to do it. If they say yes, I will ship the 92 straight to them and commence dumping all my other rifles except the .22lr. I'd even give up my beloved 45-70 if this 92 was a takedown.
What about Mic? I thought he did TDs... ?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Since the heading was "truck gun" rather than "truck rifle" or "truck carbine" - what about a handgun?

I don't travel in wilderness areas, and my main concern would be self-defense - if my vehicle were to break down or be disabled, I'd not necessarily want to have to openly carry a long gun, but might want a .357, or .45 ACP, or even a .22, or in some circumstances (bear country) a .44 Magnum (I'd rather have to shoot a bear with a 44 Magnum than a .223 if it came down to it). All those could be carried discretely along with anything else I needed to carry to wherever I was going. If a .45 ACP and six loaded magazines wouldn't suffice for some nightmarish urban survival scenario, I'm not so sure an M1A would have helped either, to be honest...

For those who CCW routinely, and would already have the .357 or .45 or whatever, perhaps even the .22LR or .22 Mag handgun would be a good firearm to dispatch a wounded animal, signal someone, or take a pot-shot at a feral dog in livestock country. How about the Ruger 10/22 handguns they have now...? I'll bet they're plenty accurate to hit a feral dog or coyote out to at least 75 yards easily.

Just musing...

(Actually, the 'truck gun' I'd like is the one I posted on the other thread... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrbsYn5hpd4 :mrgreen: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

When I first saw the "Charger" handguns, my first thought was about killing coyotes across a pickup hood.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

My "Truck gun" is a used Marlin 336W in 30-30.Cheap to replace if stolen.50 rds 30-30 on board along with 50 rds for the CCW in 45 LC. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

My truck gun is an "EL TIGRE" 44-40 with a sling. I can't think of a better one for me.

"That'll Be The Day"
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

For the urbanites, the truck gun might be a car gun.
Easily concealable is good.
Secure storage is mandatory:

My choice would probably be a 3" or 4" stainless .357 revolver.

Used ones frequently sell for $300 or less. The locking box is about $30 and comes with a steel cable to lock it to your car seat frame. Yes, I would lock it up inside the passenger compartment so that it would not be necessary to exit the vehicle to retrieve it. I've been downtown in the big city after dark. :wink:
A cheap Uncle Mikes clip on IWB holster and a couple of loaded speedloaders would likely go unnoticed in the bottom of the glove box.

Jack
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mike,
Check with Hunter Restorations; I spoke with Mike about making my son's Win94 a TD about a year ago... I'm still undecided. If WWG could do the same type of TD mechanism as they do on the Marlins (TD with a loaded mag), that would be neat. I think Mike does the traditional method.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks, I will give them a call. WWG wont do any takedowns other than on Marlins, I just got a confirmation on that.
Mike Johnson,

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There's .22 rimfire chamber inserts, and there's .22 rimfire chamber inserts.

Having used both kinds, I prefer the ones that don't need their own little firing pin/block, inserted behind the rimfire cartridge, ready to get itself dropped/lost/whatever - which means the .223 parent rifle needs to be a T/C Contender Carbine, because it has a CF/RF firing pin switch on the hammer, ILO a Handi.

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Well, you COULD have a switch pin hammer made relatively cheap. Of course, for the price of the inserts and/or the hammer, you could just buy another gun or two.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

1911a1 .45acp. :D
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

rangerider7 wrote:My truck gun is an "EL TIGRE" 44-40 with a sling. I can't think of a better one for me.

You shouldn't have to shoot that import! ............send it over here! :P
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

jhrosier wrote:For the urbanites, the truck gun might be a car gun.
Easily concealable is good.
Secure storage is mandatory:

My choice would probably be a 3" or 4" stainless .357 revolver.

Used ones frequently sell for $300 or less. The locking box is about $30 and comes with a steel cable to lock it to your car seat frame. Yes, I would lock it up inside the passenger compartment so that it would not be necessary to exit the vehicle to retrieve it. I've been downtown in the big city after dark. :wink:
A cheap Uncle Mikes clip on IWB holster and a couple of loaded speedloaders would likely go unnoticed in the bottom of the glove box.

Jack

Where'd you get that locking box Jack? I like that.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

They make some one-gun pistol safes which have special 'backing plates' that allow you to secure the gun to your car interior, but working the combination allows you to move the safe off the plate if you want to mount it elsewhere. We don't do that, because we actually own two guns :o - so one stays in the vehicle in that safe, and the other one stays in the house or on our person.

(...someday I've thought about getting a third gun, but that's probably more than one family should be allowed to have... :lol: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I got one from Wally world that'll hold about five handguns that has a digital keypad lock for about $25. I plan to bolt it to the floor.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

my favorite truck gun is my old Interarms, .45 Colt Rossi Trapper. Loaded with 8 rounds of 8 gr. Unique under 250 Gr. XTP's. This gun goes with me everywhere. It fits in a depression in my Jeep floor behind the seats. It's getting beat up, but it's never missed a beat. We have wild Hogs, and Bobcats within 100 yds of the house, so it always stays handy. I can't imagine a better gun for the purpose.
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com