OT= Dogs attacked by Cougar

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

OT= Dogs attacked by Cougar

Post by Bigahh »

I got an unbelievable email today from my brother in Montana. It seems a Rancher and his wife ride their Mules quite often out there, and on one ordinary night they took a ride while their 2 dogs followed as they always do. After riding awhile the rancher looked back, and discovered a Cougar sneaking up behind the dogs. He had a camera with him. He stopped his Mule, and jumped off to try and scare away the cat. The cat attacked the dogs, before he could do anything his Mule came in to help the dogs. Look at the outcome..Note the dog in the back ground. After the Mule killed the cat he walked back over to the other Mule as if to say"Lets finish our ride"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: OT= Dogs attacked by Cougar

Post by piller »

Remind me to never tick off a mule.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I hate doing this to a "I wish it were true" story, but...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/mulelion.asp

"Status: Real Pictures, Innacurate Discription"
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Even so, that mule had some strength to pick something that weighs about what I weigh and swing it around. I'm not going to make one mad.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Oh yah... mules are tough. I tend to not argue with critters that can take a 2x4 to the noggin and still give you grief...

But the fact remains... Live Cougar + Live Mule = Draw... at best (for the mule).
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

This story was on the old forum in late 2004 or early 2005, and was hotly debated. I found a quote from The American Donkey and Mule Society, yes there is such a thing, that said, without commenting on this particular incident, that mules will fight cougars and can kill them in this manner.

Take it for what it's worth.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I never saw the old forum, but I saw this on email a long time ago, it said the incident happend in Wyoming?
I remember thinking, that sure looks like Apache country.
So a question for forum members from that part of the world, do you have Spanish Dagger cactus in Wyoming?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mules & donkeys are great livestock guards due to their willingness to fight. But, like OI said, true pics, inaccurate description.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Those photos and a version of the story appeared in this forum a few months ago.

The general consensus was that even if not true, the photos were really impressive.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

If sheep ranchers use donkeys to protect the sheep from coyotes, it stands to reason a big Jack or a mule would be a handful for a cat. When I retire, if I get back into a rural area, I think mules, or a big Jack, are going to be on my short list if I decide to be a slave to animals again.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Rexster wrote:If sheep ranchers use donkeys to protect the sheep from coyotes, it stands to reason a big Jack or a mule would be a handful for a cat. When I retire, if I get back into a rural area, I think mules, or a big Jack, are going to be on my short list if I decide to be a slave to animals again.

Some of my old insurance customers tried using a couple of donkeys to ward of the local coyote and feral dog population. It didn't work out too well. The donkeys killed more goats than the coyotes did. So they disposed of the donkeys and bought a pair of Great Pyrenees dogs.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

From what I've heard, mules will fight predators, and apparently they get ornery.

If I recall the story from this series of photos, the people involved had shot the cougar and it was already dead. When the mule got close enough it attacked and worked the dead critter over a little more.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.