OT - Yet another Gun Safe Post

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

OT - Yet another Gun Safe Post

Post by cnjarvis »

I'm thinking very seriously about getting the B6036 safe shown here.http://www.bearsafes.com/products.html

I'm Curious to know what you guys think.

It's not the prettiest safe on the market but it has a 2 hour rating, a recessed lock that is difficult to access or damage with tools and costs about $1600. The disadvantages I see are that I have to fool with a key and that it doesn't come in colors other than black. I could however panel it and make it look like an armoire.
B36open1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: OT - Yet another Gun Safe Post

Post by Griff »

It appears to only have one "hasp" that are engaged with the lock. This seems a lot less secure IMO than having the "wheel" and several ¾" hardened steel pins that engage into holes cut into the jamb. And hardened pins that have a "rotating" outer layer are even better.

But, it's better than a slip case under the bed. :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Griff +1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Over-priced and your guns will be under-protected.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

IMNSHO, ALL of the safes I've looked at so far have been overpriced.

The array of safes out there is dizzying. I have a limited amount of $$ to spend (don't we all?) and need to get a safe that will hold what I have with room for expansion, offer adequate fire and theft protection and is priced reasonably. Does this even exist?
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

cnjarvis wrote:... and need to get a safe that will hold what I have with room for expansion, offer adequate fire and theft protection and is priced reasonably. Does this even exist?
No, it doesn't. I bought a Fort Knox Titan 6637 quite a few years ago in the 22 long gun configuration thinking that it would be all that I'd ever need. After all, handguns can be stored on the shelves ... right?

Well, for one, if you don't have more guns than your safe will hold ... you soon will. I don't know the name of the phenomena but I'm sure you're afflicted by it if you're on this board.

And two, your wife will think it's really a great place to store her jewelry, tax returns, kid's birth certs, passports, backup tapes, etc. She will require several shelves of her own.

The safe in your pictures looks like it has outside hinges. Hard to tell from the photos. I haven't shopped for safes for a while so I'm not in a position to judge the price versus the features. I do recall being shocked back when I bought mine though so I think it's a universal feeling.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
dkillough
Levergunner

Post by dkillough »

I bought one of these in the protector model and have been very satisfied.

http://www.patriotsafe.com/
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
cnjarvis wrote:... and need to get a safe that will hold what I have with room for expansion, offer adequate fire and theft protection and is priced reasonably. Does this even exist?
Well, for one, if you don't have more guns than your safe will hold ... you soon will. I don't know the name of the phenomena but I'm sure you're afflicted by it if you're on this board.

And two, your wife will think it's really a great place to store her jewelry, tax returns, kid's birth certs, passports, backup tapes, etc. She will require several shelves of her own.
McNutjob, That must be a phenomena as well because my wife has pulled the same on me here. My Rossi's dont know what to think of it all. :)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

As a restoration contractor I've seen a LOT of the aftermath from house fires.

If it's been burning for two hours it's going to be in the basement and full of water. Unless of course you're on a concrete slab.

My experience ( 20 plus years) in residential fires ( single family and multi family under 20) most fires are put out in 30 mn. to an hour. Depending on professional and vol. fire depts. ( response time)
In most fires the fire department and water does just as much, if not more, damage than the fire.

just an observation.

But i think that safe is over priced anyway.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

cnjarvis wrote:IMNSHO, ALL of the safes I've looked at so far have been overpriced.

The array of safes out there is dizzying. I have a limited amount of $$ to spend (don't we all?) and need to get a safe that will hold what I have with room for expansion, offer adequate fire and theft protection and is priced reasonably. Does this even exist?
No.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have a Liberty safe that is already too full , so the overflow must be stored elsewhere. Luckily, we have three such safes at the ranch. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

But wait! There's more! as they say on TV.

I had the same problem - finding a reasonably priced safe to protect my stuff. Here is my suggestion:
1) Forget about fireproofing, for the reasons mentioned above. If you are dying to go that way, get a reasonably priced safe and then surround it with a fireproof cabinet - simple metal frame, add the clading yourself. I believe that is how it is spelled, despite my spellchecker's complaining.

2) Fireproofing skyrockets the cost of the safe, and it makes a monster so heavy that you can't drag it up any stairs, if you are putting it in a house, without two young body builders and a Clydesdale. Get a strong metal safe with the locking lugs like Griff is talking about, and then bolt the safe into a wall so that it cannot be carried away. It will be safe enough, and the metal will hold out against a small fire, anyway!

3) The G5241-2LG model of the Sentry safe is apparently discontinued. But I still see it for sale at various Home Depot stores throughout California for $370.00 - yes, $370.00. That's what I paid for my 14 long gun safe, with its internal lockbox, bottom ammo storage, small upper shelf and adequate combination lock.
See it, marked "Discontinued" but still listed at the Sentry site, at:
http://www.sentrysafe.com/products/prod ... p=CartView

I'm extremely happy with mine. But since it only weighs a couple hundred pounds instead of several hundred pounds as found in the fireproof safes, I took advantage of the holes predrilled in the back of the safe (there are also some in the bottom).

First, I installed a stout sheet of lumber on a wall, and used heavy screw bolts to secure it to two studs.
Then, I placed the safe against the wall and used some more heavy screw bolts to secure the back of the safe to the heavy wallboard. It ain't going nowhere, unless either the thieves destroy the wall with power equipment or else I open the safe and unscrew the bolts for transfer to a new house.

In case you no longer find this excellent, inexpensive little safe online, here's a photo. These are not my guns, but from the Internet photo:

As for my little sweetie now wanting some storage - yes, that immediately happened to me. So I purchased another Sentry product for my handguns and for general keepsake storage - a Sentry V360 home storage safe with touch keypad and emergency bypass four-bitted key. It is apparently unpickable by any but a true expert locksmith. I couldn't do it, and I'm trained in the techniques and have a full set of tools. I purchased the safe at a reasonable price at an Office Depot store. Again, this was a discontinued model, so I got a great deal.

My experience is to look to the Sentry line, but definitely stay away from any cheap plastic lined models and insist on the models with the internal hinges and multiple locking crossbolts. I've found more than a few of the cheap models with external hinges in a canal bank, having been lifted from homes and opened with minimal pry bar work!

As for my smaller safe, I installed it against a wall on a shelf in the manner described for the gun safe - very secure. Nothing is foolproof, but the average thug would give up rather than chance being heard by a neighbor.

Finally, a relative has quite a few firearms. I won't identify the person or number; bad advertising! That person purchased a safe that holds twice as many guns as mine, or more, at a very reasonable price, with moderate fireproofing, at Costco. It was a name brand safe, made here (not China), although I don't recall exactly - Winchester? - I don't remember.

Look around at your discount superstores, and don't depend upon finding a great deal by Internet. For one thing, shipping is a bear, and one way or another you will foot that bill. But if you search locally, you might be very pleasantly surprised.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Take a look at your local Craig's List. I see some great bargains on safes that will save you tons of money. I've purchased two safes off the list, and one new one that was discounted because the door was scratched where it rubbed on the frame of the safe. I simply asked the store manager how much I could get the display model for, and pointed out the cosmetic damage. He cut the price in half!
I've probably got less into my three safes than most people paid for one!-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I purchased a new safe a couple/few years ago, after having seriously exceeded the maximum my first safe could hold. That one now belongs to Y2K for his budding collection. The new one is a Champion, and I am very pleased with it.

http://www.championsafe.com/sport.html

I wanted a no-frills exterior - it is not a piece of furniture to me, and I try to keep it hidden. I traded fancy finish for more size - getting the largest one they had. As noted before, you start to fill it fast, and it is sure nice to be able to get things out without having to move so much around or just create more "safe dings"!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Take a gander at Cannon Safes, they have many good features, including a traditional twist numerical dial with key lock, plus fire ratings up to 90min, etc. And are available from a vareity of dealers. the link above is to their Traditional Series, but... they have several others.

It's not what I have, but if I were to buy another without a trip back to CA to pick up another Hall's Safe, the Cannon is probably the way I'll go.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Griff wrote:Take a gander at Cannon Safes, they have many good features, including a traditional twist numerical dial with key lock, plus fire ratings up to 90min, etc. And are available from a vareity of dealers. the link above is to their Traditional Series, but... they have several others.

It's not what I have, but if I were to buy another without a trip back to CA to pick up another Hall's Safe, the Cannon is probably the way I'll go.

The word is that Cannon does not stand behind their safes under warranty.
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I have a Liberty Safe , 60 tall , 30 wide, 22 deep. 14 long guns 7 handguns ,. and documents galour . Not counting 1500 or rds of .45 LC , 500 rds45acp ,500 each of 357 + 38sp, and good many rds 380, .25 auto, several bricks .22 ,4boxes 12 gage , and at least a 100 rds .30-30. And some of my lovely young wife's pretties. And some items I've forgotten probably.
It has 5 locking bolts , combination lock + a key whitch I don't ever use .I don't think 5 men could move it. Took 3 to place it and it was empty . 1200 degrees for 30 min. The hinges are on the inside, but HARD to get too , to oil . On a truck sale about 8 years back for 900dollars and 75 dollars to place it. I keep four boxes desacant and 1 Golden Rod .With a German shepard that dosen't like strangers when we aren't around.......................... Works for me ............Mutt
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Update -

I've decided to get a Liberty Safe, Lincoln model. It's a 1.5 hour rated safe with a mechanical lock and comes with a "free" upgrade: display door panel, dehumidifier, lights and a jewelry drawer. I'll place the order today but won't pick it up until March when they go on sale with a $200 factory rebate which the gunshop will match on the spot. Considering the rebate and match from the shop, I think the cost is somewhat reasonable. The front will look similar to that pictured.
DSC05356.JPG
safe_presidential_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cnjarvis on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Nice looking unit. The internal lights and jewelry drawer, etc, are nice to have.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

But where do the rifles go?
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

The first shelf down has fabric covered sheet metal plates that cover the slots for the long guns.
DSC053561.jpg
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I see....I mean, I understand. :)
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville