OT but 'guns' - Mausers, 1903's, and peep sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT but 'guns' - Mausers, 1903's, and peep sights

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd shoot my old bolt guns more often if I could mount a Williams FP on them; I don't want to 'sporterize' them, but I just can't see the open sights they have. Anyone here use a Williams or similar after-market peep on those type guns?

It looks like they'd be easy to install, but the Williams on-line catalog has few decent illustrations.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT but 'guns' - Mausers, 1903's, and peep sights

Post by Wind »

Hey there - Peep sights on both the Mauser and Springfield are a great way to go. A consideration is whether or not some wood modification will be necessary, and how this would relate to collectability. On both rifles, the peep mounts on the bolt handle side of the action, on the receiver, just ahead of the bolt handle. Some times stock wood needs to be removed to allow the sight staff to move up and down. Lyman sights had both long and short staffs. A little drilling and tapping will prolly be necessary, and again if it's a "shooter", nothing to get worked up over. I've found having good peep sights helps a whole bunch with shooting accuracy. Hope this helps. Watch yer top knot. Wind
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have an old Lyman peep for a Mauser, you guys are giving me ideas.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Try taking a look at some of the Mojo sights. Replaces the rear sight with a peep and is a drop in, so no permanent modifications.

Chris
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I used fixture for the Mausers, my Swede has an FP but they aren't D&T.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chris83716 wrote:Try taking a look at some of the Mojo sights. Replaces the rear sight with a peep and is a drop in, so no permanent modifications.

Chris
I have one on a 7.62 and it seems decent. Do you have one on a Mauser or '03?

As far as 'collectibility' goes, mine are 'shooters' - or at least I'd like them to be - rather than stuck in the gun safe because they're no fun to shoot since I can't see the sights worth a darn!

(Only problem is - if I fix the sights, I won't have any excuse to miss...)

I assume it isn't a big deal to drill into that big outer ring on the Mauser or '03 to put in a Williams or Lyman, since it isn't the barrel or any super-stressed part...? (Of course it is a given I'll scratch it up some and bust a tap or two... :oops: )
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Well that is one advantage with receiver mounted peep sights, the sight base will prolly cover up most of those pesky scratches from broken tap extraction(s) and other "oooops issues". Here are a couple of pictures (I hope) of a Lyman on a Springfield. It will reach out and touch stuff a long way away (1000 yards) with the longer staff. Hope this helps. Watch yer top knot. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

In the days of yore, when I started rifle shooting receiver/peep sights were still very common for hunting and target shooting. I learned to shoot with them and still prefer them to barrel sights or scopes. The front sight has started to get fuzzy and a Merit disc can just do so much. Right now, my eye doctor is grinding me a special set of lenses to shoot rifles with receiver/peep sights. All of this is to say, that my experience with such sights is long and deep and I still prefer them to all others.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Charles,
Can you elaborate on the lenses?
How is that going to assist you?
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Here's some info on diopter sighting aids.. Works great with handguns too! http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/20 ... -old-eyes/
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I actually have the merit system, why it is I never tried it with a rifle; is beyond my ability to explain.
I never considered it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wind wrote:Well that is one advantage with receiver mounted peep sights, the sight base will prolly cover up most of those pesky scratches from broken tap extraction(s) and other "oooops issues". Here are a couple of pictures (I hope) of a Lyman on a Springfield. It will reach out and touch stuff a long way away (1000 yards) with the longer staff. Hope this helps. Watch yer top knot. Wind
THAT is really nice wood on that gun! Refinished, new, or what?

Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

The stock (and the whole rifle for that matter) is essentially new. This was a rifle my dad started building for me in the 60's. He specialized in Mausers and Springfields. He died before it was finished. I had Jim Cloward (a Palma Rifle builder out of Machias, Washington) sort out a few things, install a ramp front sight, and blue it. While he did that, I finished the stock. Dad had started it with a stock blank that prolly came from Herters. I'm partial to oiled stocks, and usually strip the glossy off most rifles I buy and refinish in a satin oil. My dad had a kinda trademark bolt bend on his rifles, and Jim changed it to the one in the picture. Something of his African hunting influences. It is a very fast bolt, and I do like it, and I'm sure he wasn't aware of the sentiment involved. I do have a couple of Mauser based rifles with dad's bend. I have longish arms and a rifle with a custom stock is sure a pleasure to shoot. Every time I look at this rifle, I want to go whack a moose!! Here are a few more pix. Thanks for the compliment on the stock. Watch yer top knot. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool pics - I appreciate the added info.

Now, anyone know offhand if the "98 Mauser" Williams FP's install on the rear receiver bridge like the "Springfield 03" ones?

I think I'll get the 98 one and fiddle with it first, as the rear sight area on the Springfield is so thick/high that it seems like I'd have to have the Williams set really high, or take off lots of 'stuff' and I don't want to alter the '03 more than I have to (the Mauser is a rebuild one and not 'authentic' anyway).

I might look at the Mojo for the '03.

(...and yes, I'll post pics...! 8) )

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AJMD429 wrote:Cool pics - I appreciate the added info.

Now, anyone know offhand if the "98 Mauser" Williams FP's install on the rear receiver bridge like the "Springfield 03" ones?

I think I'll get the 98 one and fiddle with it first, as the rear sight area on the Springfield is so thick/high that it seems like I'd have to have the Williams set really high, or take off lots of 'stuff' and I don't want to alter the '03 more than I have to (the Mauser is a rebuild one and not 'authentic' anyway).

I might look at the Mojo for the '03.

(...and yes, I'll post pics...! 8) )
I think the bases are different for the 98s and the 03s. Different thickness and/or width. I'm pretty sure they both mount to the right on the rear receiver ring (as shown in the photos). Hole spacing might be different, too, but I'm not sure on that. I had a jig from Brownells but I gave it to a gunsmith friend of mine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Hobie,
The peep for my Husqvarna .243 mounts on the right side.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hi again. Here is a Mauser receiver showing the sight mounting holes. Here are two sights, the one on the left is a Williams with a thinnner base than the Lyman on the right. The Williams sight is NOT for this rifle (opposite hand). The sight base thickness will determine whether relieving the stock to allow the staff to move up and down will be necessary. I don't have many Williams sights for bolt guns (I'm a Lyman guy) so my information is alittle weak. Might check with Williams directly and see what they have to offer on the base dimension before you purchase one for your rifle. Hope this helps. Watch yer top knot. Wind
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Wind,
My .243 is a Lyman
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Mescalero1 - It's obvious then that your folks were married and you are a man of fine upbringing and good taste!!! Best regards and keep an eye on yer top knot. Wind.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Thank you sir, same to you.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

This is a Williams 5D on a .30-06 Mauser I've reworked.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just ordered the Mauser sight - I'll post pics after I scratch it up good doing the install... :lol:

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Man, I would not d&t a 1903. Whatcha need to do is get you a 1903-A3 which is set up with aperture sights already. Save that 1903 in untouched condition for your kids or sell it to finance the 1903-A3.

And what about a No.4 Enfield with aperture sight? Another great rifle already equiped for old eyes.

Sell the mauser and get an enfield if you don't have one.

That's what I'd do...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

O.S.A.K.
I recently traded for an Enfield for just that reason, came set up that way with a nice walnut aftermarket stock set... fits like a glove.