OT: First stupid human trick of the year

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

OT: First stupid human trick of the year

Post by JReed »

Well I did it, my first stupid human trick of 2009.
Took the kids to a park in town that we heard had a nice sledding hill. Someone had built up a ramp on one of the runs and after watching my kids launch them selves a few times I thought ( first mistake) why not. So here I am sitting on the sled going down the run when it dawns on me that this was not one of my better ideas when I hit the jump. I hit the jump and get good air and think hey this is a cool jump when with out warning gravity kicks back in and I am slammed to the ground right on my tail :o where I am rewarded by the feeling of most of the vertibra in my lower back smashing together. I layed there balled up for a few minutes while my wife and kids stood over the top of me. Lucky for me there was another family there and the Dad was able to help me to the car. The Doc at the ER had me X-rayed but couldnt tell if I had sustained a compression fracture or not so he druged me up and told me to follow up with my Doc in a couple of days for an MRI if things dont improve.

The leason to learn from this once you get over 30 you just dont bounce like you used to. Now it is time for me to take my vicodin. :twisted:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: First stupid human trick of the year

Post by El Chivo »

heal up Jeremy. At least you made it through a whole month; some people do theirs by 12:01 the first day.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Dude,
What were you thinking?
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

mescalero1 wrote:Dude,
What were you thinking?
Thats what the problem was, I was thinking. :oops:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

I did that once when I was about 10, and the result wasn't much better!
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
brionic
Levergunner 1.0

Post by brionic »

Ouch! No good. Even just a fall on my rear - on carpet, no less - took a month or longer to recover from. I'm no spring chicken, that's for sure.

A buddy was sledding on a golf course this winter, and decided to impress the kids by going down the hill, head first, with his legs hanging off the back. Bad idea! The rocks and ice tore and smashed his knees badly, and he still is limping six weeks later.

Sorry about your ordeal and hope you heal soon.
--
Brian
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Can't blame you...

Looked like fun...

Your kids were having fun...

And it is hard to accept that we just can't do everything we used to be able to do.

Heal up my friend!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jeremy,
Heal well...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

When I was about 10, living in Ohio, there was this neat hill about 1/2 mile from home. Some old abandoned house was at the top of the hill. There was a path straight down the hill for about 30yds, that had a slight upwards angle at the last 4-5 feet, yep a jump. :D. At the landing point was a path. The path was about 4-5 feet wide, and about 20-30yds long. No biggie, EXCEPT on either side of the path was a mix of bushes, grass and thorns about 3 feet tall. You had best make your launch while being correctly lined up. Actually you were jumping whether you were lined up or not, sincethere was NO ALTERNATIVE once you launched. We were real smart huh?

Soooo, 10 year olds being 10 years olds, we thought this was the ultimate sled run. It gets better!

After the correct landing, you zipped down the trail another 20 yds or so, still going downhill. Near the end of the trail it forked (now this is the interesting part). The left fork took you to, and over a set of railroad tracks, very active railroad tracks!!

The right fork veered sharply to the right, but otherwise seemed OK to me.

So watching all the other kids go over the tracks, I thought OK that's where I'll go too. I went down the jump first time, perfect. Flying along, apporaching the left fork, I see a TRAIN coming, and start dragging my feet. No trying to make tunnels is more like it, and come to a stop about 20 feet short of the tracks. Stood there, heart racing like crazy, and hauled the sled back to the top.

Run two.

Missed the takeoff just a little bit, but found the bushes and thorns on the right side just fine, than you (still thinking of the train). Feeling like I just lost a fight with a Bobcat, I got up to hear the cheers and howls from the rest of the group. :o :oops:

Getting back to the top of the hill just in time to see my older brother, zip over the tracks, about 15 feet in front of a train he didn't even see. :o :o . That did it, from now on I'm going to the right.

This time I carefully lined the old sled up, for the jump. Off I go, make the jump and landing, perfect. Going faster than even the first run I approach the fork at what, too me, seems like breakneck speed. I was more right than I thought.

Ten feet down the right path, there is this little stump sticking about 7-8 inches up. Just enough to catch the sled and launch it's rider into the trees, thorns and rocks along the side of the trail. Luckily I hit head first where all my padding was. :D Sure wish the sled would have stopped that fast on run number one!

Yea, I guess I'm lucky to make it to adulthood.

Jreed hope you heal quickly.

Oh, by the way, I went home after the third run.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I hope everything heals up well. about 1983, I managed to crack my tailbone, don't ask how, but snow was not involved. The worst part was that we were nearly 500 miles from home. Thankfully we had a van and I was able to lie on a sofa-bed all the way home. Unfortunately more than 25 years later, my tailbone will still get pretty painful if I sit in the wrong kind of chair very long.

I hope you have better luck. But if you think the landing gear has deteriorated after 30, just wait until you see how much it deteruiorates after age 50.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Gun Runner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gun Runner »

Back in the early 40's lived next to the Cow Palace in SFran. Behind it was the San Bruno hills. Couple of us found an old model "A",trunk lid. We hauled it half way up the hil and another older guy and myself deceided we would ride it down the hill. The grass was dry (summer time) and about 2 ft tall. Great Idea. :shock:
All went well till we came to the barbed wire fence, we somehow managed to lay back far enough to get under that and continue on. Next came MRS> (what ever her name was) 3 ft high picket fence and flowers. (Both sides of her yard). Then the couple of foot drop in to the street and into a vacant lot with a whole bunch of thisle's. Did I mention that I had to stand up for supper that night because dad had to go fix her fence and plant new flowers? And the time we built a coaster and forgot about putting brakes on it.

Gun Runner
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

You know, you might not think it but that body armor in your avitar probably had a part to play in it. After all of the jumps I made, the road marches and the body armor, with plates, I wore nearly daily for a year and a half took a toll and weakend me. The slightest jar now or standing up or sitting in the wrong position remind me of great but hard times and I haven't hit 40 yet. I dread the following years.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Heal well Jeremy :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

JReed wrote:Well I did it
As soon as I read those words I knew it was going to involve snow or ice! I hope your recovery is rapid!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Sorry to hear that. Let's seeeeeeeeee -- Maybe this is where the term "Jarhead" comes from. :) That obstacle course isn't going to be so easy anymore.
ED
Yer never too old
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

If it's not fractured, you know the routine. Get rid of the swelling and then strech the ligaments, muscles and tendons that have shortened due to inactivity.

Ice every two hours for two days
alternate heat and ice every two hours after that
take ibuprofin to reduce swelling if it is ok with the docs meds - 6-800mg a whack (read the PDR)
Drink plenty of fluid to flush out the decomposing tissue and pus

Heal well sir.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

There's a REASON they keep most Marines on the ground...

You didn't go to Flight School... You were operating outside of your MOS... what did you expect? :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

JReed wrote:...The lesson to learn from this once you get over 30 you just don't bounce like you used to. Now it is time for me to take my vicodin. :twisted:
Sorry, Jeremy.

If it's a consolation, I've learned that even after 30, we all still fall as quickly as we used to!

Prayers up for your tender bum and recovery.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Tycer wrote:If it's not fractured, you know the routine. Get rid of the swelling and then strech the ligaments, muscles and tendons that have shortened due to inactivity.

Ice every two hours for two days
alternate heat and ice every two hours after that
take ibuprofin to reduce swelling if it is ok with the docs meds - 6-800mg a whack (read the PDR)
Drink plenty of fluid to flush out the decomposing tissue and pus

Heal well sir.
They have me on Vicodin and Orphenadrine ( muscle relaxer) I love drugs. :D The bad thing is I dont have time to recoup they way the Doc wants I have one of those jobs that even if you are bleeding from your eyes you still arent getting out of work.
I got the same advice as you gave from my sister she is a pharmacy tech for Walgreens. I will have to sweet talk the wife into finding the heating pad.

Thanks all for your kind thoughts.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Ironsights wrote:There's a REASON they keep most Marines on the ground...

You didn't go to Flight School... You were operating outside of your MOS... what did you expect? :twisted:
Yea, sounds like he was trying to be a "ground" pounder> :mrgreen: Heal well there, Marine. you have many rears er years ahead of you.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Well Jeremy, some of the posts above have beat you up pretty well... :D

So here's hoping you are back on track real soon!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

heal well
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I hope you recover fully from this. And I hope it ends better than a similar episode I had about 8 years ago.

Although there is no snow or sledding here in Florida, we do have water parks with our version of a sled jump, a water slide. My son's 8 year old baseball team was on a trip to Louisiana when we took them to a water park. My son convinced me to ride what was the equivalent of a sled down a water slide. Bad idea. I had a hard landing and compressed a vertebrae. My son's team stayed in the tournament for a week and I suffered mightily. After months of pain, I finally convinced my insurance company that I needed surgery. I finally got relief.

I should have known better, but I let my son talk me into it. I am older than his friends dads, so there was some pressure to show my 8 year old son that his 52 year old dad wasn't an old man.

Now that he is 16, I am struggling to convince him that his 60 year old dad is not an old man, but it is not working! :shock:
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Jeremy, with all those posts of us guys hitting the ground off our horses and not bouncing very well, that didn't kinda ring a bell? To funny. Hope you're feeling better in a couple of days.
Old Law Dawg
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

JReed,
Don't feel bad, I was on ski's when I was a kid, and Rufus Von Dufus here manages to collide with the only tree at the bottom of the hill........ Go figure.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

kimwcook wrote:Jeremy, with all those posts of us guys hitting the ground off our horses and not bouncing very well, that didn't kinda ring a bell? To funny. Hope you're feeling better in a couple of days.
Yeah well I am one of those got to try it for myself types. :)

I am doing better thanks all for your support.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Always remember kids need bad examples in their lives too so they know what NOT to do.

I hope you heal fast. I've learned two things after driving a truck for 30 years.

1) Ibuprofen + aspirin works better than either one taken by it's self.

2) No mater who writes the scrip, drugs show up in a DOT whiz quiz for up to 30 days afterwards while alcohol doesn't. Even though it may be legal it's easier not to have to answer stupid questions.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Try living with the FAA whiz quiz.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

That's exactly how I broke my tail bone when I was in high school. It still makes a difference on what I can sit on.
plinkin pete
Levergunner 1.0

Post by plinkin pete »

Go for it!!!!!! .............Its just sometimes you have to pay the fiddler:)
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Glad you are on the mend!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I am wondering if the story shouldn't have started with "Hey ya'll hold my beer and watch this"

All kidding aside I hope you heal well. I broke my tail bone when I was eleven while riding wheelies on my bike. It took almost 2 weeks before I could walk on my own. I still feel the effects to his day.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.