THANKS MARLIN!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

THANKS MARLIN!!!

Post by centershot »

I;m so P-O'd I could absolutely SCREAM!!! :twisted: I picked up my new Marlin 39 last night. I looked it over at the gun shop, cycled it a few times, put it back in the box and took it home. I took it out of the gun cabinet this morning to clean the bore before going to the range. I opened the action to check that it was empty, closed the action and dry-fired it with the safety on. Nothing happened. :shock: The trigger and hammer were not engaged. Hmmm, must not have cycled it all the way back. Cycled the action again. Hammer follows the bolt home! Cycle again. Hammer follows the bolt home again. Thumb the hammer back manually. Hammer locks at full cock. Pull trigger, hammer falls. Cycle action, hammer follows bolt home! Again and again and again! :!: Put gun back in box, put paperwork and gun lock in box, return to gun shop. After a brief (and somewhat colorful, if I do say so myself!) description of what it was doing, Bruce said "Patrick, calm down, I'll have a new one for you next week." I apologized to him for being so abrupt and acknowledged to him that it wasn't his fault. :oops: But, dang it! There's no way that rifle should have left the factory! THANKS MARLIN!!! GRRRRRRR!!!
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Re: THANKS MARLIN!!!

Post by bsaride »

darn, I feel for ya
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Back before the worthless, useless, and dangerously counterproductive "gun law" of 1968, it wouldn't have been as much an issue; you could have swapped it out easily and had the dealer return the defective one, just like if you'd bought a toaster over that failed. Granted, he didn't happen to have another in inventory, but it still irks me that even if he DID, the paperwork and hassle and B.S. would have made a 'simple' solution impossible...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Not owning anything Marlin but a Marlin 375, a 336 and a 1898 pump shotgun. The pump and 336 were acquired used, and the 375 new. The 336 and 375 function flawlessly, the pump gun needs a forend, and the stock fitted. I purchased it as a parts gun, and haven't done much with it. I bought a new, old stock barrel for it and had a forend, but it split... so now it sits in the safe. If your dealer is willing to make the deal right by you, he knows, as do most folks here, that Marlin will stand behind everything but their 1898 pump shotguns. :P It could be worse... you mighta bought a now, discontinued Winchester lever... with no HOPE of getting it replaced!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

AJMD429 wrote:Back before the worthless, useless, and dangerously counterproductive "gun law" of 1968, it wouldn't have been as much an issue; you could have swapped it out easily and had the dealer return the defective one, just like if you'd bought a toaster over that failed. Granted, he didn't happen to have another in inventory, but it still irks me that even if he DID, the paperwork and hassle and B.S. would have made a 'simple' solution impossible...
Yes, but back then this would never have happened either! I keep hearing horror stories about new Marlins with obvious flaws that should have never gotten out the door. I don't think there's anyone doing a final inspection at Marlin anymore!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

I now own four Marlins and several over the years.It seems to me that QC has erroded in the last several years(even more so with the Remington stepping in).Firstly the walnut stocks aren't as fine grained or figured as were in the last decade.Mostly quarter sawed cut.The stock fit n finish has slipped also.My youngest is a 2008 336SS.The stock is not as fine fitted as my earlier rifles.The grip cap has a gap on 0ne side(filled in with finish?).No bullseye either.The top of the receiver is high polished as opposed to matte(guess they figure nobody uses open sights anymore).I had a new in the box 2007 308 MXLR.It lasted a week upon inspecting the barrel.On the exterior left side of the barrel I found a flatten radius rough metal chip.When I removed it with my fingernail I exposed a rough concave gouge above the chamber portion of the barrel.Made me worry about the machine quality of the barrel threads.It was returned to the dealer un fired.Like Marlinman93 I also have heard of many complaints of late.I just hope it is just the economic signs of the times. :cry:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Yeah, sure I know people make mistakes, but there is NO excuse for something like that leaving the factory. I don't hear about any other firearm maker having near this many irritated off customers. I'm sure they will make it right, but dang, a person should not have to deal with that hassle on a brand new gun. I hope they get their QC fixed soon.
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

First thing I would do is Monday morning with serial number in hand, I'd call Marlin. I'd express my displeasure to them and let them know the gun store owner is replacing the defective gun. But make sure they know gun #xxxxxxxxxxx is stuff and should have never left the factory.

Winchester was their biggest competitor, I wonder if now that they don't have any real compitition they feel no pressure to keep their quality up.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***