I'm back... did ya miss me?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

I'm back... did ya miss me?

Post by mklwhite »

...no you didn't. I don't post anywhere near as much as I read, but I'm back. Here in the Ozarks we just had a bad ice storm and 7 days after it began I've got power back. Some folks around here aren't so lucky. I know there are a few other residence of Oz out there and thought I'd see if they made it through ok. Around here we had a few houses burn down and a few people die. Nobody died that I knew, but the house that my father and grandfather built and that I grew up in burned to the ground. But other than being dog tired with a lot of clean up (trees) to tend to we are all ok here.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I'm back... did ya miss me?

Post by Tycer »

Welcome back.
Firewood will be cheap this spring. I'll bet heating costs will be very high next winter. Stockpile wood.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Glad you are ok :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Glad you're OK and back on the grid again. We've had some wicked bad ice storms up here in Maine, too, and they're not fun. Welcome back, friend! :D
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Welcome back and glad you made it through OK!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome back, glad you are ok
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's good to hear from you again, Sir......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

we thought you went hunting. Glad you're ok.

I was talking to a hunter I ran into and he's from the Ozarks, in Arkansas, is that right? He was describing the deer there, sounds amazing. He said on his land infrared aerial observation revealed two large animals per acre.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Thanks fellas. It feels goods to be back at my online home. (First site I jumped on after the power came up. :D )

mod71alaska - I thought Maine might be too cold for ice storms, I know that there was one up there this year but thought maybe it was a freak thing.

El Chivo - The Ozarks are in north central/western Arkansas (where I am) and south western Missouri stretching NE towards St. Louis. (I think a bit in NE OK too, but I'm not sure if it is really counted.) The deer around here can be quit nice and plentiful to not so nice and here and there. Depends on how close they are to the populated areas and the weekend woodsmen who only go hunting on deer gun seasons opening weekend.

My wife asked my why I was bothered by the power being out when I would go camping with far less than what we have at home and not think about it a bit. It took me a minute to come up with the answer, but finally I said I think it boils down to things not being the way they are suppose to be. Camping or in a cabin. That is the reality of that situation. No power, no problem. At home, though, a modern house is built around the convinces and when they do work you are constantly remind of it.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Sure glad to see you made it through the storm. We lost power for a few days but our church and friends in Stone county are just now getting some back, we had church last nite. What about Smokeater2, have you heard from him?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Welcome back. We had a bad ice storm in December. No power for 6 days. What a drag. Glad you are well. 1886.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

...did ya miss me?
I'll give you the same answer I give my wife when she asks that...

...I think if I re-zero at 75 yards and allow for windage next time, it will be ok... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I live in Northwest Arkansas, we were out about 11 days, and just got back on the grid last night. There were several deaths in this area. Two older people died in a house fire, that my wife knew, and a couple of boys died in a barn fire, after a generator blew up for some reason.

We got by pretty well, we had wood heat, and could cook on the wood stove, and I had plenty of coal oil lanterns. I did loose most of my food in the deep freezer and fridge. I didn't have a generator, and didn't buy one, although I considered it several times, but I kept thinking the power would be restored sooner then it was, so after a few days, it just didn't matter much anymore except I was starting to miss a hot shower, pretty bad. Sponge baths just don't get it.

I believe I will end up with a generator for future outages, but I havn't decided what to buy. I may just get a Miller Bobcat welder, because they have a 10,000 watt generator on them.
NRA Life Member, Patron
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

How did you lose your frozen food? Did it warm up outside? Just box them up and put them outside in a shed or the trunk of a car. Just had to ask. Same thing happened up here in 98 and people claimed food loss on their insurance. We just put it outside.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

glad to hear you're ok and back among us!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Welcome back alive and well 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

iceman wrote:How did you lose your frozen food? Did it warm up outside? Just box them up and put them outside in a shed or the trunk of a car. Just had to ask. Same thing happened up here in 98 and people claimed food loss on their insurance. We just put it outside.
Around here the ice storm did it's damage and left. It was only cold (day time) for about 3 days. After that the days were pretty warm (50s) and the nights aren't bad either. The last two nights we've been sleeping with the windows open and the ceiling fan on. We lost only a little in our deep freeze, but everything in the refrigerator was a loss of course. We had (during the first few days) thrown the fridge stuff in some coolers and shoved them on the porch. We started leaving the lids cracked open for part of the day to try to let everything inside cool down and then shut it up when things started warming. That's what we did anyway.