30-30 Twist Rate

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

30-30 Twist Rate

Post by Bigahh »

Guys,
Help me out if you can. I bought a Marlin 336XLR last summer with the intent of loading my pet load in it which is a 170 FP Hornady bullet. I just cannot get it to shoot very well. Could this be caused by the 1:12 twist of this rifle? The standard twist should be 1:10 i think. Is this rifle destined to shoot the 160 gr flex tips? I have not tried any 150 grain bullets out of it yet, that may help. Any input would be appreciated.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 30-30 Twist Rate

Post by J35 »

The win 94's have a 12 twist and they do OK

The 336 has the 10.

Have fun
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I can't see it as a twist issue Sir, what loads have you tried with that bullet?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Measure the length of the bullet in inches and use the Greenhill Formula to determine the best bullet for your purposes.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Its not the twist rate.

Have you tried different loads with that bullet? Every rifle likes what it likes. A load that shoots well in one won't shoot the same in another...

Do the 160 Leverevolution rounds shoot well? If so, then its definately just a load issue.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I have only tried the Hornady 170 grain bullets with IMR 3031, and W748. The bullets always seem to have at least 2 "flyers" in a 5 shot group. I refuse to buy factory flex tip bullets, but now that they are available to load i may try them, although I know a few guys who absolutely hate their performance on deer. This rifle might be a .32 special soon.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Just out of interest what dies are you using?

nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I had one 1894 rifle in 25-35 that absolutely would not shoot a Hornady bullet...period. After trying about 30 different loads with that rifle I was ready to send it to the Gunshow for swap, but as a last resort, tried a different bullet and it shot under 1" groups at 50. So try a different brand...Sierra or Speer for instance. Favorite loads for one rifle may be extremely poor in another.

Ed
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Nath wrote:Just out of interest what dies are you using?

nath.
Hornady Dies, I can shoot tacks with 4 other rifles using the same dies. This rifle has my Goat so far. Wanted to use it last deer season, but still a work in progress to say the least. :evil: :evil:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

You gotta relax and do some experimenting. Its part of the game. BTW, what do you call "bad".

I have a Hi-Wall Winchester that shot 4" groups at 100 meters with everything I tried. (about 700 rounds) Then I did something (seated the bullet out another 30 thou.) It now shoots those groups at 300 meters.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Sixgun wrote:You gotta relax and do some experimenting. Its part of the game. BTW, what do you call "bad".
Bad is 2" groups at 50 yards with a scope. Not just that, but I frequently get a "Flyer" 6" or more from the groups center. I bought the rifle used at a great price, I am thinking maybe I know why, but I will not give up just yet. Still plenty more bullets, and powder to try before it gets re-barreled to .32 special. Still is a "Fun Challenge" to me yet, but once spring has sprung I will take other actions with it.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

There is nothing with the 1 in12 twist , 1 in 16 in the 32 cal a little better for lead . In the Marlin I use Unique , sold gun 10+ years ago and I don't remember how much .

Image..Image
Image......Image