Remington to acquire Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Remington to acquire Marlin

Post by Mojo »

It's a done deal and expected to be completed by the end of January.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/art ... 2007-1.htm
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHH NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO....ARE YOU SURE ?????
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

Yes, it appears to be true. Link added. I think I'm gonna be sick!!!
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

What seems to be the problem? If Marlin want to close up shop and sell to another company, then Remington might as well be the one. I don't expect many changes for the Marlin line, except the address.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I could certainly think of worse companies to sell to...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

A Marmington rifle? I don`t think a lot will change. Hope not! :shock:
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

Don't fool yourself...there will be changes..I expect to see several of marlins offerings to be dropped. Marlin was sold for a reason. no matter how they sugar coat it..Remington isn't be selling there 700 actions to custom gunmakers anymore. One good thing..remington might put marlins on a diet and slim down them stocks. :)
Improving the wood to metal fit would also be nice..
Last edited by Savage99 on Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The sky is falling!

The devil is learning to ice skate!

It's the end of civlization as we know it!

Pack up shop boys, it's all over. The fat lady is singing.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
raven5
Levergunner

Post by raven5 »

I don't think it is such a bad thing. I wished they had saved the Winchester plant.

Remington has and does make some very nice rifles and shotguns. The 700 is legendary as is the 870, 1100 and others. I'm not a big fan of their new imported rifles with the Remington name on them but that doesn't affect the original Remington products; it probably helps Remington's bottom line immensely and still allows them to continue with their original stuff that probably doesn't give them much of a profit margin. Until they REALLY start modifying their classic guns I have no problem with them. Glad it's an American company!!

I wonder how this will affect the LEVERevolution ammo and the .308 Marlin?? With Remington's tremendous ammunition manufacturing base will anything change? Some more new cartridges? More lever-action offerings??

I really only see good things unless I'm missing something. I don't think quality will suffer but I wonder how customer service will be? I've never had to call Remington about anything (a good thing really) so I wonder how their support is?
The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
- Samuel Adams, during Massachusetts' U.S. Constitution ratification convention, (1788)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

:( No good will come from this, that's for sure.

I think I'm gonna be sick.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I wonder if "Pre-Remington Marlin" will be a phrase heard in gun shops in a couple years? Maybe an honest to betsy made before the buyout Marlin will demand a slight premium on the market place now? :?
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

The sky is not falling, but I don't expect that you will be able to buy a new .30-30 levergun off the shelf in 5 years. Those 98s with cheap stocks are simply cheaper to make.

Fortunately, leverguns are still cheap right now and we can enjoy what we have. :D
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I hope it's a good idea. From my experience, Remington is a great company. They seem to be as willing as anybody else to give the shooting community what they want. This might be a good time for other companies to introduce wider varieties of levergun models. First Winchester, now Marlin. :shock: :? :(

Something has got to give! And I believe it will. :)

Humbly,
bogie
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I bet you'll see the vultures that sell on Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, etc, to heist the prices of existing "pre-Remington" Marlin leverguns by 50-100% over the existing skyhigh scalping on those sites. This will happen within the next 90 days, wont take long. I am going to a gunshow two weeks from now and I bet I'll be seeing and hearing the same thing. :x

We will probably see the introduction of some lever action Moisin-Nagants within a year. :wink:
Last edited by jnyork on Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I don't like it. Remington's customer service is sorry, and in 3 years I bet we will only get new Marlins with not only crossbolt safetys, but some kind of darned keylock engineered into it also.

OH Well, there are still a lot of good used Winchesters out there.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Remington itself was just aquired by a holding company...Cerebus?.....Let's hope Marlin is not jumping on a leaking life raft......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Shor-as-shootin' the family that owns Marlin recieved an offer they couldn't refuse.

No matter...just make it a mission to aquire what you may want in their line now & let the hammer fall. If you can't, then save up for one of those rare Pre-Remington Marlin's that are sure to start cropping up by the heathens. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Things change & so do we.

LeverBob
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

I hate to see this happen but if a good deal was made then it's for the best.
Maybe more oppurtunities will be available.

I already have the two Marlins that I wanted, 336 and 1894. For my next purchase I'll be looking at C&R firearms.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Yeah, I guess I am all done too. Just last week got a beautiful 336A that I had been searching for for a long time. Got 2 39a's and an 1894cl, dont really need anything else, but sure upsets me. :(
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Makes me wonder if they will keep marking them "Marlin" or will change it to "Remington". You will be buying a Remington 336 instead!
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I wonder if they'll bring back the Cowboy versions...

94CB, 336CB, etc.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Boys .. I will tell you that I am disappointed. Some of you would complain if they hung you with a used rope.

Here we don't know a thing about it yet and nothing but gloom and doom is forecast.

No wonder your dog bit you and your girlfriend left you at the altar! Cheer up. They could shut down. They could move to Taiwan. A Pakistani company could've bought them.

C'mon guys. Let's look at things a bit brighter. Take them dark glasses off. You are gonna make yourself sick with all that negativity. And if you are sick, it will durn sure keep you from getting well.

So you don't like change? Holy stuff! News flash! Things change. And the stuff you complained about 5 years ago you happily use today and love it.

The secret to enjoying life, in case you missed it, is: Don't worry about the things you have no control over. Don't get upset by what you have no controlling interest in. Learn to enjoy the moment. You may not have another. Especially if you keep hammering your system with all the negative vibes. Keep it up and your heart will just pack up on you one day. Relax. It all works out just fine in the end.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Now, this is FUNNY! To me anyway. Just a month ago I saw a Marlin 39 marked as plain as day "Remington" with a Remington roll mark on the side of the action. I guess it was prophetic or something...

Nah, it was just a way to get the gun legalized back in '94 when they did an amnesty. The army had never heard of Marlin and so they brought it back stamped "Remington" on the side. Anyway, it was an interesting piece.

I'm not too worried about the change. The only rifles Marlin makes that interest me are the ones they discontinued when they brought out the "safety". Nothing since then has caught my eye at all.

If it were up to my style of buying then every gun company in the US would shut its doors. Folks will step in to buy whatever they market, and that's what keeps them going. Folks like me rarely buy new anyway and thus have little impact on what's offered to the rest of the gun buying public.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I wonder if the FTC could do something about this. It looks like to me Remington is getting pretty close to monopoly status.

I hate to see what they'll do to the Handi Rifles. I guess I better get those extra barrels I was thinking about right now.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I just don't see any reason why Remington or Cerebus would mess with the Marlin "brand". How much of the levergun and rimfire market does Marlin control verses Remington? This was a business decision.

I sell restaurant equipment and I've seen this happen in my industry. You have Illinois Tool Works (ITW) and Enodis buying up all the manufacturers. They pretty much let all their companies, under their "umbrella", run independantly.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

IMHO, Remington tends to savor traditional ideas more than other companies. It's been hanging it's hat on old classic designs for many years now (Model 700, 870, 1100). I think they're planning only to improve the Marlin lines. Just my gut feeling. Bob Behn will still be President of the Marlin line. That's probably a positive. Maybe Marlin wanted to progress in it's designs but, because of a tight budget, couldn't afford potential failure in the marketplace. I would not be surprised to see some wonderful design ideas and improvements come of this.

A few months ago, I was daydreaming that some reputable company would offer a new levergun design that would have a stronger and longer action and a specially designed tubular magazine that could safely accommodate spire pointed bullets. For the above sentimental reasons, I dreamed it would be Remington. Also in my dream was a new family of high performance cartridges specifically optimized for this rifle. Maybe I'm clairvoyant! Maybe I'm just a good daydreamer! :wink:

Wouldn't it be really cool though? :o

Humbly,
bogie
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

That's business. It happens all the time. :?
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kasTX »

From Wikipedia (take it for what it is worth):

"Cerberus...invests primarily in companies which are near bankruptcy and hopes to make the businesses it acquires profitable."

and

"While many of its peers have bought out companies in order to strip assets and sell on for a profit, Cerberus builds its reputation on identifying firms that are undervalued, and assisting in rejuvenating them by working with current management."

Taking a step back, it is quite the industry consolidation we have going here:

Smith and Wesson bought Thompson Center.

Cerberus has bought DPMS, Bushmaster (which bought Cobb), Remington, and now Marlin.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

WELL THANKS TAYLOR !!! JUST WHEN WE GOT A GOOD OH WOE IS ME WHINE AND BITCH SESSION GOING YOU COME IN AND TOSS REALITY ALL OVER IT . I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY !!!
'BOUT NEXT YOU'RE GONNA TELL US ALL YOU WENT AND BOUGHT A NEW 2008 MITSUBISHI ZERO PICK UP TRUCK....OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT...OR A RUSSKY REPO OF A '95 WINCHESTER IN A NEW CALIBER THE 7.62X54R, AND A NEW RUSSKY TOP BREAK IN 44RUSSONOFABISCUIT.
NEXT TIME JUST MIND YORE OWN BIDNESS REVEREND TAYLOR !!! [ I ALWAYS WANTED TO TELL OFF A PREACHER MAN.... L O L ..]
OKAY GUYS, BACK TO THE WHININ' WAILIN' MOANING, AND BITCHIN'....
LET ME SEE...OH YEH...IT'S ALLA THOSE 700 REMS IN THAT NEW 7.62X54R THAT'S GOT ME WORRIED....AT LEAST THEY COULD A MADE 'EM IN 7.62X51R...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

OUCH!!!!!!!! that going to leave a bruise ...........................................this is going to hurt and the news of a Marlin bolt gun that looks like a savage what up with that
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

First off, Marlin didn't get an "offer they couldn't refuse". They put the company up for sale some time ago, as there was a prospectus going around at least 90 days ago. I didn't say anything then, as I was asked by the person who told me to keep quiet.
Marlin no longer has anyone named Kenna around to run the company. Frank Kenna III is semi retired, and his nephews are involved in the company, but I think he just wanted to leave and end it by selling out. If nobody had met the price they were asking, or if they didn't feel comfortable with the buyer, I think they would have kept it.
I seriously doubt if aything changes anytime in the next 5 years or more. Even after that, I'd be surprised if the change was anything drastic.
All this moaning and worrying sure sounds like a lot about nothing to me.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
rob
Levergunner

Post by rob »

I bet Remington bought them because they can't compete against them and they are gonna shut them down entirely so people will buy Remington rifles again :twisted:

Seriously...come on guys, we don't have a clue what's gonna happen but I'm sure Remington didn't buy them to paint them pink and see if they can build a rifle no one likes. Keep in mind Remington learned their lesson on the bolt locks and they no longer come that way. S&W still insists on building guns with locks....BTW, I don't like them either but S&W is building the most accurate guns they've ever built and I wasn't too ashamed to drop a buck this last week with one either. When Marlin acquired NEF they didn't change the name and when S&W acquired T/C they didn't call them S&W either. I'm gonna hold my peace until I see what we get...it might just be a very good thing. If it's not, Marlin and Remington aren't the only fish in the sea...the is the good ol' USA and we have more wealth, prosperity and choices to choose from than any other nation on this planet. Every thing is going to be just fine.
rob
Levergunner

Post by rob »

BTW...I'd REALLY like a 44 Ultra Mag!!! Maybe they can take a 45-70, blow it out straight and neck it down to 44. 260 grain Hornady at around 2600 fps or so...I like it!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Do the Russians, Yugoslavians even make any lever actions to import?
Last edited by cas on Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slow is just slow.
admiral
Levergunner

Post by admiral »

Taking a step back, it is quite the industry consolidation we have going here:

Cerberus has bought DPMS, Bushmaster (which bought Cobb), Remington, and now Marlin.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.[/quote] if any of you follow the stock market, S&W's stock has plumetted to $6.00 a share!! the new owners of Remington have quite a bit to do to turn them around. Remington has lost money for four straight years, their quality has fallen sharply in the last 10 years and their customer service is nonexistant. they moved from New England to cut costs with the corp. offices in NC and the new plant in KY. Marlin has made no secrets that the beloved 39A costs way to much to produce and is not paying for itself in sales anymore and i expect to see it dropped like Winchester dropped the 9422 which suffered from the same problem. gun making in this country is a tough bussiness and we are seeing the grand old names taking big hits.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

admiral wrote:

Nothing good will come from any of those things happening.
Slow is just slow.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

J Miller wrote::( No good will come from this, that's for sure.

I think I'm gonna be sick.

Joe
I'm with you Joe. No good will come from this.

For one thing, I'd bet, if I were a betting man, that prices will suddenly jump on used Marlins. In about a day when everyone gets their auction prices adjusted..,

Grizz
rob
Levergunner

Post by rob »

When Winchester went everyone was saying they hoped someone would buy the name and produce Model 70's and 94's again. Well, Remington apparently is keeping Marlin from going down the same path...or at least they aren't dropping off the map....and everyone's gonna bitch about it. I guess if Remington had come out before Winchester went out of business and said they were gonna buy them everyone would have pitched a fit. If, before the Marlington announcement, Remington said they would buy the Winchester name and start producing 94's again it would have maybe been considered a great thing...or would everyone whine about that too? Yep...doom and gloom, all is bad. Remington builds a darned fine rifle and I may be wrong but it would make NO business sense to throw away what Marlin has perfected (oh, wait...they have a dreaded jam...mayhaps they can fix that.....

I am just glad Marlin isn't going to disappear or go to Japan for production.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

rob wrote:When Winchester went everyone was saying they hoped someone would buy the name and produce Model 70's and 94's again. Well, Remington apparently is keeping Marlin from going down the same path...or at least they aren't dropping off the map....and everyone's gonna bitch about it. I guess if Remington had come out before Winchester went out of business and said they were gonna buy them everyone would have pitched a fit. If, before the Marlington announcement, Remington said they would buy the Winchester name and start producing 94's again it would have maybe been considered a great thing...or would everyone whine about that too? Yep...doom and gloom, all is bad. Remington builds a darned fine rifle and I may be wrong but it would make NO business sense to throw away what Marlin has perfected (oh, wait...they have a dreaded jam...mayhaps they can fix that.....

I am just glad Marlin isn't going to disappear or go to Japan for production.
Excellent point. :)

bogie
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Oh I just realized...
I bet the 35 Remington will get some special treatment for the namesake! :wink:

bogie
gordylew
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gordylew »

Lets hope the primary stock holder of Cerberus is not George Soros or some of the other gun nut nazis. that would be one way of taking our guns. Monopolies are not good.
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

To be honest, the last Marlin I bought was garbage, they took it back 5 times and sent a total of 3 different rifles and I still never got one with good rifling, refused to accept # 5 after looking down the bore and got a refund. When your at the bottom there is no where to go but up, maybe they'll improve some, lets hope so.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, in Dwight Yoakam's words - Baby, things change. But the French say - the more things change the more they stay the same. So, let's just see what happens. The market for these guns is still there.

A friend recently sold an old 1893 Marlin for $2000+. Mine are too new for that but let's me know they will last that long. Better than a lot of other investments I have made I bet.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

kooz wrote:To be honest, the last Marlin I bought was garbage, they took it back 5 times and sent a total of 3 different rifles and I still never got one with good rifling, refused to accept # 5 after looking down the bore and got a refund. When your at the bottom there is no where to go but up, maybe they'll improve some, lets hope so.
In my opinion, this is why Winchester went under, and why Marlin got bailed out by this deal with Remington. The philosophy of making things cheaply so you can sell more, actually ends up with selling less. Lets hope the next generation of Marlins and Winchesters are made to a higher standard of quality. Of course, you get what you pay for, so a higher quality gun might cost more. Someone once said, 'the poor pay twice'. The first time they buy a piece of cheap trash, then they realize they made a big mistake and have to buy the more expensive one they should have bought in the first place. Boys, if you want quality American made rifles, prepare to ante up.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Looking at the bright side, we'll probably be able to get matte finishes and synthetic stocks now, right?
Well done is better than well said.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I saw this coming several years ago. Todays BIG American gun manufacturers cannot compete with CZ, Taurus, Uberti, etc. Like most American manufacturing jobs, the gun business is soon to be a thing of the past here in the USA. I truly expect Remington, Marlin, and Savage to go the way of Winchester. I own a mess of guns and everyone except two SKS's all say "Made in USA". I drive American made vehicles even though most of the parts are made by the short people down south of the border

Its a shame because in 1962, the USA had 2/3rds of the worlds wealth. Corporate greed and greed from the stock holders forced it all overseas. The American worker helped this out a bit too. Why do you think why the gap between the rich and the poor keeps growing? In thirty to forty years we will be a 3rd world country.

Its taken quite a few years but our "culture changers" or the "movers and the shakers" have made it acceptable to buy foreign junk.----------------------Just wait until the 'others" outnumber us Anglos :cry: :cry: -------
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm so shocked and depressed that I'm giving away all my guns.........

8) Just stand out in front of your house and wait for me to come by :twisted: :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote:I'm so shocked and depressed that I'm giving away all my guns.........

8) Just stand out in front of your house and wait for me to come by :twisted: :P

Hey Blaine, since you're being so generous PM me your address and I'll come get my share :P :wink: :twisted:

J:De
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Maybe Remington will give us a new 1894 218bee.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I guess we will just have to wait and see.......with our fingers crossed :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................