OT - Sea Unearths Lost Nazi Bunkers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Sea Unearths Lost Nazi Bunkers

Post by don Tomás »

Image "...and now for something completely different..."

White out conditions up here in the Sierra Nevada, so no work today. What to do, what to do. How about post Off-Topic on LeverGuns. Anyway, this is from last summer which I thought was interesting... (I mean I thought the article was interesting, not that it came out last summer was interesting :) )
Snowed-In Tom

Sea unearths secret Nazi bunkers that lay hidden for more than 50 years
By Allan Hall

Three Nazi bunkers on a beach have been uncovered by violent storms off the Danish coast, providing a store of material for history buffs and military archaeologists.

The bunkers were found in practically the same condition as they were on the day the last Nazi soldiers left them, down to the tobacco in one trooper‘s pipe and a half-finished bottle of schnapps.

The bunkers had not been touched since the war

This bunker was entombed under the sand dunes until a violent storm swept away the sands three months ago

The bunkers were three of 7,000 built by the Germans as part of Hitler's ‘Atlantic Wall‘ from Norway to the south of France.

But while the vast majority were almost immediately looted or destroyed, these three were entombed under the sand dunes of a remote beach near the town of Houvig since 1945.

They were uncovered only because recent storms sent giant waves cascading over them, sweeping away the sand and exposing glimpses of the cement and iron structures.

Kim Clausen, curator of the Ringkoebing-Skjern museum views a heater retrieved from the bunker

They were located by two nine-year-old boys on holiday with their parents, who then informed the authorities.

Archaeologists were able to carefully force a way, and were astounded at what they found.

'What's so fantastic is that we found them completely furnished with beds, 'chairs, tables, communication systems and the personal effects of the soldiers who lived inside,' says Jens Andersen, the curator of the Hanstholm museum.

The discovery of the fully-furnished bunkers was "unique in Europe," said Bent Anthonisen, a Danish expert on European bunkers.

Stamps of the German Eagle of Adolf Hitler and the Swastika were also retrieved

Expert Tommy Cassoe: 'It was as if the Nazis had just left yesterday'

And a third expert, Tommy Cassoe, enthused: "It was like entering the heart of a pyramid with mummies all around. Wat I saw blew me away: it was as if the German soldiers had left only yesterday."

The team working with Cassoe emptied the structures within a few days of boots, undergarments, socks, military stripes, mustard and aquavit bottles, books, inkpots, stamps featuring Hitler, medicines, soda bottles, keys, hammers and other objects.

All of the objects from the shelters have been taken to the conservation centre at Oelgod museum, some 20 miles from the beach to be examined.

The centre's German curator, Gert Nebrich, judged the find 'very interesting because it is so rare.'

'"We don't expect contemporary objects like these to be so well preserved. Maybe it's because they were kept for 60 years in the cold and dark like in a big vacuum," he says, carefully showing four

stamps featuring Hitler's image and the German eagle, found in one bunker.

The Germans left the bunkers in May 1945 after the Nazi surrender.

Historical records show that Gerhard Saalfed was a 17-year-old soldier with the German army when he arrived at the bunker in January 1945.

Germany surrendered on May 8 1945, but it wasn‘t until two days later that he and his fellow soldiers left their remote station.

They shut the steel doors of the bunker behind them on their remote beach and went to the nearest town ten miles away to surrender.

'The remote location of the bunkers and the drifting sands that covered them saved them from being ransacked,“ said Cassoe.
Last edited by don Tomás on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - Sea Unearths Lost Nazi Bunkers

Post by J Miller »

That's pretty cool. I love to explore old and abandoned things like that. Not many to be found.
Any more pics to this article?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

J Miller wrote:That's pretty cool. I love to explore old and abandoned things like that. Not many to be found.

Joe
Hey Joe. That's the only pics the article posted. Click on the bold title (link) to take you to the original article.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

don Tomás wrote:
J Miller wrote:That's pretty cool. I love to explore old and abandoned things like that. Not many to be found.

Joe
Hey Joe. That's the only pics the article posted. Click on the bold title (link) to take you to the original article.
DUH ....... :roll: I missed that completely. I'll go read it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Interesting, thanks for posting :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Way Cool! I would love to go in one of those.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Neat find and thanks for posting! :D It does amaze me a bit that these bunkers escaped detection for so many years as there were always people who knew about them in the early days and I'm sure they did not get covered over in sand overnight---------there I go again, over-analyzing-------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

looks like just the kind of place a guy should build to get through the next few years

we were talking about it this morning; blockhouse style with the water cistern below and the living space above and the vegie gardin on the roof top

and hydraulic remote-control lift for access

and
and
and
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Back in the 70's, they unearthed a german bunker at an airfield when they were working on a roadway. Fortunately one of the fellows working remembered stories or booby traps. They notified the right people. They blew the darned thing after a quick look inside. Yep, booby traps. Too bad they couldn't have recovered what was there, but, better safe than sorry.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad