New deer/hog project.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scrateshooter
Levergunner

New deer/hog project.

Post by Scrateshooter »

I was on the way to Wal-Mart to acquire a Stevens 200 and a Mossberg 100 ATR both in .308 so I could do an experiment. Well this one pawn shop I stopped at superbowl Sunday had a FEG Hi Power for $399. I tried to get it for $350 out the door and they told me they just got it in, I said ok I will be back in two weeks. Well last weekend I bought a NIB Browning Standard Hi Power, so I figured I would stop by the pawn shop and see if I could find a Stevens or Mossberg rifle being they are lower cost rifles. Well they had neither, but there was a J.C. Higgins Model 51 30-06 for $249. I asked to look at it and the bore wasn't great but I said WTH. I asked how much and the guy told me $249 out the door and I said ok.

Here she is in her filthy old glory.

Moar

Not American made however

Hard butt plate

White out front sight

It was hard to get the action out of the stock

Looks funny
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/ ... user07.jpg

Some bastard put some kind of epoxy on it

First Hoppes patch

Second patch

Oops, that doesn't look right

I still don't know how I broke that

I sure hope I will be able to find a replacement part

This was hanging on the wall for $12, salesman threw it in for free. I already have one on my rifle, Happy Birthday to one of my friends
"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New deer/hog project.

Post by 20cows »

The epoxy was probably AcraGlass. That's a good thing and it looks like they free floated the barrel.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That's a primo FN- 98 Mauser, you glommed there !

If it was mine, I'd spend $30 at Midway for an adjustable trigger for it - but a replacement milsurp trigger can be had at any gun show, and many gunsmiths, for about $5 or less.

If you go for an adjustable trigger with a side safety, I think I have a FN commercial bolt shroud laying around that you can have - the one w/o the wing safety and all the contours, a smoothie.

Scrateshooter
Levergunner

Post by Scrateshooter »

The barrel is free floated.

I ordered a Bold trigger last night. I just need Grandpa (JerryB) to steer me towards some loads for it so I can finally start reloading.
"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:!: It is already D&T ed for a Williams FP-98! :!:

Sorry. I couldn't help myself... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[It is already D&T ed for a Williams]

Ya mean like this one ? ;)

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

20cows wrote:The epoxy was probably AcraGlass. That's a good thing and it looks like they free floated the barrel.
Plus it is pillar bedded.
ED
Yer never too old
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd say you done good. You have a good solid commercial 98 Mauser action made in Belgium. They don't get much better than that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Dang! Nice find! I never find that kinda deal. I need to find a pawn shop that doesn't have a gun values book and with ignorant owners like that.... :P

I'd be refinishing that stock - probably would've gone with a rifle basix trigger.

If you decide on the aperture sight, I'd go with a Marbles bead front sight.

I love rifle projects like that.

Enjoy!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:[It is already D&T ed for a Williams]

Ya mean like this one ? ;)

THAT'S my next 'weekend' project to fit in amongst the other HoneyDo stuff... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Man, that deal is just sweet all over, the kind of find I dream of as I make my regular pawnshop trawls. "Department store-brand" centerfires -- Belgian, German, and English makes -- are some of the best deals out there these days. Being all steel and walnut, and usually heavier than today's sporters, they're just not "in style", but they suit me just fine, thank you! A good friend has a collection of 8 or 10 FN and Heym-built bolt actions in .270 and .30-06, with brand names on them from Sears, Montgomery Ward, and Western Auto. He paid no more than $250 for any of them, and one , a Heym .30-06 with folding express sights, a double-set trigger, and exhibition-grade wood set him back a lordly $125! :o :shock:
sgtgeorge
Levergunner

Post by sgtgeorge »

That is a great find indeed. A standard length commercial grade FN 98 Mauser action would cost more that that entire rifle if you were looking to build from scratch. I have an H&R rifle, same caliber and action, with an 18" barrel and full length Mannlicher stock. I paid $450.00 for it, and I thought I stole it.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Yup, it looks like grandson did ok on this deal. He called me last nite and I told him to get a Williams Foolproof for it so I would be ahead of Hobie. That boy is a real fine rifleman from the Marines and grew up hunting hogs and deer in north east Texas. When he is finished with it that will be a precision rifle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15