OT - Repro Schofields

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Repro Schofields

Post by rjohns94 »

So as to not hijack a thread, I need some input.

We have talked about this before but I think several may have the same questions. If one were to purchase a modern repro of this pistol, the model #3, which one would you pick?

Uberti ?

Navy Arms? (which i think makes or made the uberti)

Berreta?

or one of the new versions by S&W?

The S&W is twice the price of the uberti. is it worth it and why? Feel free to post pics. :D

I would buy an original if I could find one in the proper condition so I am considering buying a repro as a place keeper.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - Repro Schofields

Post by J Miller »

rjohns94

Just my 2 bits worth. The Navy Arms guns were made by Uberti, not the other way around.

If I were going to buy one, and I'd like to, I'd buy a modern reproduction made by Uberti and probably sold by Cimmarron. They are closer to the original design and made of modern materials so they handle smokeless powder. The S&W Performance Shop guns had some modifications to the firing pin. The firing pin was moved from the hammer to the frame. Trivial really, but .....

If I had REAL DEEEEEEEP pockets I wouldn't mind having an original. AFTER I got an original Colt SAA.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mike,

I had a Navy Arms, Wells Fargo model in .44-40. Was one of the( if not the) worst sixguns I've
ever owned!

The fit and finish was awful. The stamping on the barrel was the
most offensive thing I've EVER seen.
The right side of the barrel had " OWNERS MANUAL AVAILABLE AT http://WWW.NAVYARMS.COM" Stamped into it! Ran almost the whole lenght of the barrel!

If that weren't bad enough. The darned thing wouldn't do better than 6" at 15 yards!!

I expected better for $700.00!!!

Beware!

I'll never buy a Navy Arms again without seeing it in person! Even then I'm not so sure.

jason 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Keep going guys. This is right up my alley of wish pistolas.
Old Law Dawg
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

A while back I purchased a Beretta Laramie from a gentleman on a SASS board. As you may know, the Laramie is a reproduction of the S&W #3 target revolver as built by Uberti for Beretta. Before I acquired it, the gentleman had added repro vintage S&W grips (very classy), and removed the firing pin block from the frame. In this particular model, the firing pin block is nothing but a headache, usually keeping the gun from firing at all. That was the case with mine, before the block was removed. Anyway, when the gun arrived, it looked great and had a decent trigger pull. The honeymoon ended on our first trip to the range. While the gun is chambered in .45 Colt, my original intent was to only shoot .45 Schofield in it. On my first range outing, however, none of my Schofield reloading stuff had arrived, so I was shooting my normal .45 Colt load of a 255gr RNFP over 8.5gr of Unique. Accuracy is DISMAL, measuring over a FOOT at 25 yards, with SERIOUS lead spitting issues from the BC gap. Point of impact was 18 inches over point of aim. Not good.

When I got the gun home and cleaned it, I noticed that it had NO FORCING CONE. None. Nada. Transition from cylinder to rifling was abrupt, to say the least. This explained the lead spitting, and most of the accuracy issues. I sent a note off to Alex Hamilton at Ten Ring Precision, explaining the problem. He told me to send him just the barrel assembly, and he would take a look at it. Less than three weeks later, the barrel assembly was back in my hands with a freshly cut forcing cone AND a recut barrel crown. It seems that it was no where NEAR square OR round, further explaining the accuracy problems.

My next few range trips were like night and day. By this time, my Schofield dies, brass and RCBS 230gr RNFP mould had arrived, so I casted a bunch of bullets, sized them to .452", lubed them with SPG and loaded them over 6gr of Unique. BINGO! My first group, off of a rest at 25 yards, went into an inch and a half. After some carving and drifting of the back sight blade, I got the point of impact down where it was supposed to be, and point of aim and point of impact are in the same place.

I also loaded up 25 rounds with The Holy Black to see if the fouling would tie up the gun. I keep hearing on the SASS boards how the Schofield repros (along with the Laramies and Uberti Russians) have no gas ring and will tie up within just a few rounds of BP loads. Such was NOT the case with mine. I ran through all 25 rounds without a hitch. I just wish I had had more bullets available. I am curious to see how many rounds it would take before it seizes up.

Anyway, the moral of this long spiel is that the Uberti Schofield repros are nice guns, but don't expect perfection out of the box. It may have some issues, but working through them for the final product might be very well worth it. :D
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Noah's got some good info on both the Beretta and repro Schofield. There's a post on it here. A search should find it.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i saw a report when I googled schofields where a guy had fired two rounds of SASS competition over two days, (i guess that is like 50 rounds) with Holy Black and the pistol was just starting to get a bit sticky. I plan to shoot smokelss in mine, in .45 S&W. I am hoping to have the success story to post here soon. (got to find the right pistol first)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Mike, if Noah see's this maybe he'll post the link on his information. Be sure to let us know what you get and how it performs. There's more than a few interested in that line of revolver.
Old Law Dawg
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

FYI, I have read and been told that the repro Schofield's are a "no no" when it comes to shooting black powder -- the action is too tight and not designed for it -- so use smokeless only, for best results.

But what do I know??? Am sitting here in southern Germany, drinking Jack Daniel's (yah, a little too much!) and browsing this site to get a taste of home...................

And a Schofield repro is #1 on my "wish list"!!!

Tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I would take the Uberti (Taylors, Cimarron, etc.) over the Beretta version. The Uberti seems to be less trouble. That said, if I had the money, I would spend it on the S&W Custom Shop Schofield! It is an American made S&W Schofield, and it will never be worth less than you pay for it.

Beware of the Army San Marco version. Very BAD news!

You might want to hang with these guys for an evening.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index. ... ,54.0.html
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i think I am going with S&W pro shop version. at least I hope so. I am bidding on one right now
Will let you know how it goes later this week.
Mike Johnson,