Hawk bullet for Marlin 1893 38-55

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Hawk bullet for Marlin 1893 38-55

Post by Mainehunter »

Has anybody tried any of there bullets? The bore diameter in my Marlin is .380, it’s not perfect especially the first few inches at the breach it looks pretty rough. I do have some cast bullets I bought from a gun show a few years ago but I’m kind hesitant of trying them out because of the bore condition. Any thoughts?

Mainehunter :wink:
Hobie

Re: Hawk bullet for Marlin 1893 38-55

Post by Hobie »

I've heard they do well. Haven't used them myself. Our own Dave Deering of Custom Bullets makes a heck of a bullet.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Why be hesitant with the cast? In years of experience shooting hundreds of old rifles with barrels in junky to excellent condition, I have only had a few that would not shoot cast. As long as the barrel is straight, has a decent crown and decent rifling, it will shoot into 3" at 100 meters. Even terrible barrels will shoot into 3-5". Its all in the sizing diameter, velocity, alloy, and how well you shoot.

Gas checks are a huge help with so-so barrels--------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I agree with sixgun. No harm can come from shooting them if the gun is sound. Just don't load up 100 at once. Load up about 20 of them and give it a try. If they shoot well, then load a bunch!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Sixgun wrote:Why be hesitant with the cast? In years of experience shooting hundreds of old rifles with barrels in junky to excellent condition, I have only had a few that would not shoot cast. As long as the barrel is straight, has a decent crown and decent rifling, it will shoot into 3" at 100 meters. Even terrible barrels will shoot into 3-5". Its all in the sizing diameter, velocity, alloy, and how well you shoot.

Gas checks are a huge help with so-so barrels--------------------Sixgun
The cast bullets are from Beartooth 265 grain gas checked sized at .380. I should try them since I bought 300 of them. Thanks for your input!

Mainehunter :wink:
94deluxe
Levergunner

Post by 94deluxe »

I use Hawk bullets in my .380 bore 38-55 circa 1905. The bore is a little rough but i get 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds. The bullets seem to obturate well and fill the bore. Just wish they were a little cheaper....
Hunting with and shooting 85's, 86's, 92's, 94's in Texas!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

you might want to loa up a few and try them in your rifles chamber, both of mine will feed .375 jackets but not 379 cast.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"