Hawken Rifle Suggestions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Hawken Rifle Suggestions

Post by stew71 »

Has anyone tried out Cabela's version of the Hawken rifle? I've been eyeballin' one for a while now. The T/C Hawken appears to be very nice, American-made (big plus), but pricey. I'm guessing the Cabela's smokepole comes from Italy or Spain. Nuthin' wrong with that, mind you....but I'd like to keep some of my bucks in-country when possible.

Any insight?
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hawken Rifle Suggestions

Post by Rusty »

IMHO the best bang for your buck would be the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. The barrel is set up for shooting round balls. If you're of shooting conical slugs you might want to go with something with a 1:48 twist.

There's a lot of killing power in a .50 cal round ball though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

I second the Lyman Great plains.

But....The T/C Hawken is a very nice rifle as well.

It really depends on what all you want to shoot. A slower twist is best for round balls. That is what I shoot in my Kentucky. 1:66 Twist.

But if you want to shoot Sabots or conicals, go with the 1:48 or faster twist. :wink:
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Between the the two mentioned, definitely the T/C. Realize that these versions are not what the Hawken gun really looked like. They remind me of the rifles out of Ohio more than anything resembling a Hawken. The Lyman that Rusty mentioned would be closer to what the original Hawken looked like and they are well thought of, though foreign made. I've shot them but never owned one so can't say myself. If you want an American made rifle that truly looks like a Sam/Jacob Hawken gun, the kits and parts are out there. You could probably get it finished out for about 7-800 bucks, including the price of the parts, or do it yourself for 4-500. I got my Lancaster Rifle for about 700 through a local builder and it is spectacular. Good luck!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

try some pawn shops. this time of year , after hunting season they should be full. a couple of local ones have the thompsons
for 200/300 $. but if money is no object the lyman is a dandy rifle.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Buy American :D
TC makes a fine Hawkins, For the last 25 years I've been shooting a TC Hawkins .54 round ball for Mule deer muzzle loader season here in NV. I bought an aftermarket slow twist barrel for it though.
Those little round balls kill all out of proportion for there size!

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If you're wantin' historical accuracy... great shootability and roundball accuracy, go with the Lyman; if you're goin' for conicals and don't care about the look and American made is more important than other aspects... get the T/C.

Personally, I love the Uberti J&S Hawken copy I have (but, alas, 'tis made no more); there are some great makers of copies that are American-made by some great American rifle makers, and you can generally get historical accuracy and shootability... but you have to order custom.

PS: The Uberti I currently own is MUCH more accurate than the T/C I sold to acquire it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I like the looks of the Hawken-style rifles. However, they suffer the same handicap as my beloved BLR, they have lots of shine, and the brass fittings reflect light even worse than the Browning spar varnish.

I just checked and discovered that T/C no longer makes the Renegade line of rifles, which is a danged crying shame. IMO, the Renegades have all the advantages of the Hawken without the shiny brass to reflect light.

If you have your doubts about the Cabela Hawken, keep an eye out for a used Renegade. I really don't think you'd regret it.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I own both an early TC Hawken and a Lyman Great Plains. They are both good rifles. The TC shoots sabots best and my Lyman is twisted for round balls only. However, if you like the look of the Great Plains rifle, I believe you can get it in 1 in 32" twist which should shoot concials and sabots very accurately. I used my Lyman for years when I was shooting BP competitions and it would shoot with the best of em.

If it were me, I'd check the pawn shops and auction sites for a used one. As long as it hasn't been abused and cleaned regularly, a used one should be fine.
Last edited by deerwhacker444 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

I think the Cabela's Hawken would probably do a fine job but it seems a little pricey to me.
I'd probably look for a used TC or Lyman Great Plains rifle as the other fellers suggested.
The 1-48 twist and the 1-66 twist of the Lyman will both shoot round balls accurately.
The 1-48 may shoot solid conicals better but the slower 1-66 twist would shoot a hollow based mini better.
The civil war muskets usually had a slow 1-72 twist so it depends on what type of Conical you plan on using.
I use 54 caliber hollow based minie's and they like the slower twist.
If I had my choice I'd pick the Lyman simply because it looks more like a real Hawken and I also shot my first black powder deer with one.
They are really nice rifles
I was browsing the auction sites last night and stumbled on this which may interest you.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =124265794
I know the owners of On Target and they are good guys to deal with.
They have a couple of them listed on GB right now.
Just for funzies though this is one I am building right now actually.
I-1/8 inch barrel in 54 caliber with a curley maple stock.
It is completely iron mounted and will be slow rust browned when I finish it.
No brass anywhere.
I JUST got all the metal parts fitted to the wood in the last week.
They are not for the faint of heart though.
I have built several full stock longrifles but this is only my second hawken and it will likely be my last.
They are just a pain to build and get right.
The parts for this rifle ran around $670
Oh, Don't mind the cat, She rules here and had to get into the picture.

I'd like to thank President B.O. and Ms Pelosi.........
I'm using My stimulus check to stimulate the gun industry!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

So, Str8man, are you going to let us in on where you got your components? I know there's numerous places, it's just nice to have somone's first hand experience. Thanks.
Old Law Dawg
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Stew, I have to agree with doc, ifin you could find a used TC Renegade it would make you a fine rifle. I bought mine used back in the early '80s and have used it ever since. Illinois don't allow centerfire rifles for deer hunting so this .54cal renegade has make a lot of meat over the years. Bought one of the drop in Green Mtn slow twist barrels for it a couple of years ago, and now like it even better.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Wow, here is a screaming deal on a TC Renegade! NOT MINE JUST PASSING IT ON :mrgreen:
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ub ... w=1#UNREAD
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Gents...thanks for the info. A lot to consider. I'll definitely keep an eye open for a Renegade. Salvo...that rifle of yours is sure pretty. Very nice!

I plan to do a bit of deer hunting with it so all of that nice shiny brass is something I didn't consider before. Hmmmm.....
And I'd like to push round balls as well as conicals...no sabots tho...too "modern-ish"....so that 1-in-48 twist is another consideration...
Historic accuracy is not really high on the list, but it does have to be "pretty"....I don't like ugly guns....but that's in the eye of the beer-holder...

I'll post pics once I take the plunge.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I've had the sporterized version of the Cabelas hawken for 10+years now and have found no real reason to replace it yet. It works and it's reasonably accurate with RB's and conicals but mine doesn't like sabots.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Just let the brass tarnish fellas. Our ancestors ate just fine! :mrgreen:

PS....yes, the Renegade is outstanding, though less pretty than the Hawken. The Renegade is just about perfect....carries like a Mod. 94 albeit with a heavy snout. Mine shot roundballs with excellent accuracy and nary a hitch in terms of misfires. Like a dummy, I sold it to finance something else. Luckily, I have this to take it's place: Jack Garner(TVM) Early Lancater Kit with Green Mountain barrel, left hand L and R lock and same brand triggers. It was finished out by B.J. Hamermehl of Lewisburg, PA
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Yep, just let the brass tarnish a bit and the shine goes away quick. This is the next thing I want to take a deer with. .40 Green Mtn barrel with a LH Siler Lock put together by a friend of mine. I'm trying to build a matching pistol.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Yep, just let the brass tarnish a bit and the shine goes away quick. This is the next thing I want to take a deer with. .40 Green Mtn barrel with a LH Siler Lock put together by a friend of mine. I'm trying to build a matching pistol.

Aye Chihuaha! That is nice Deerwhacker :P
:mrgreen:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nice lookin' smokepoles, deerwhacker & c.cash.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

kimwcook wrote:So, Str8man, are you going to let us in on where you got your components? I know there's numerous places, it's just nice to have somone's first hand experience. Thanks.
Most of those parts came from Track Of The Wolf.
They were out of some components when I ordered and a few parts came from Muzzleloaders builders Supply.
The wood is not finished on that rifle either.
I have one coat of Laurel Mountain Forge stain on it.
My eyes aren't what they used to be so having a coat of stain on it right before final sanding helps me see where I am sanding and lets me know if I have missed a spot or not.
I am waiting on the Wahkon Bay rust browning solution to do the browning on it.
I recently ran low and don't want to start the browning process until I am sure I have enough solution to finish it.
Dave
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

C. Cash wrote:Just let the brass tarnish fellas. Our ancestors ate just fine! :mrgreen:

PS....yes, the Renegade is outstanding, though less pretty than the Hawken. The Renegade is just about perfect....carries like a Mod. 94 albeit with a heavy snout. Mine shot roundballs with excellent accuracy and nary a hitch in terms of misfires. Like a dummy, I sold it to finance something else. Luckily, I have this to take it's place: Jack Garner(TVM) Early Lancater Kit with Green Mountain barrel, left hand L and R lock and same brand triggers. It was finished out by B.J. Hamermehl of Lewisburg, PA
Beautiful!
I have a real weaknes for flintlock longrifles.

Dave
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Yep, just let the brass tarnish a bit and the shine goes away quick. This is the next thing I want to take a deer with. .40 Green Mtn barrel with a LH Siler Lock put together by a friend of mine. I'm trying to build a matching pistol.

Beautiful! So You're a lefty? (I mean left handed)
I have taken 6 deer with a 40 caliber lintlock and 55 grains of 3F out of my Tennesee Rifle.
That is a great little deer rifle.

Dave
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the info, Str8man.

I've looked at TVM's for years and the actual "Hawken kit". I picked up a TCA 54 Hawken a few years ago. Went elk hunting with it once and didn't see a thing but a young black bear and they were out of season.
Old Law Dawg
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

FWIW I put together a TC Hawken from a kit some 20+ years ago. Used it on 5 public land elk hunts here in AZ and killed 5 elk using my cast maxi-balls. Elk were shot at distances ranging from 35 to 75 yards and none traveled more than 50 yards after the shot. I used a 90gr charge of Pyrodex behind the maxi-balls. Also shot a 26" 4X4 desert muley during a late December hunt. He was hit while lying down, got up and traveled about 75 yards when a second shot put him down for good. I've kind of gotten away from using the Hawken since I moved to MT but have been thinking about getting her out again sometime or using one of my leverguns. I found my Hawken very accurate and my younger son shot completely through the chest of a yearling buffalo at something over 100 yards using the load described above. Seems adequate to me; I like the TC. It went on just 7 hunts and accounted for 7 kills.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you Stra8man,

It is still almost brand new...fogot to say in 54 Cal. Took it out yesterday to rough in the sites as it was still unfired. I started at 25 yards to see where it printed with 55 grains 2F and patched Buffalo Bore round ball. The first ball cut the bullseye out of the target. Love it when that happens! Then the range officer pulled up and said he was closing the gate and I had to leave :roll: Show us your 40 when you get a chance. I love the Southern Rifles, and I hope to have one eventually.
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Str8man »

C. Cash wrote:Thank you Stra8man,

It is still almost brand new...fogot to say in 54 Cal. Took it out yesterday to rough in the sites as it was still unfired. I started at 25 yards to see where it printed with 55 grains 2F and patched Buffalo Bore round ball. The first ball cut the bullseye out of the target. Love it when that happens! Then the range officer pulled up and said he was closing the gate and I had to leave :roll: Show us your 40 when you get a chance. I love the Southern Rifles, and I hope to have one eventually.

These are my three main flintlocks. The top rifle with the oval patch box is a 36 caliber tennessee rifle and the one below it is a .40 caliber.
Both were Pecatonica River kits with very little fancy anything except the oval steel patchbox on the .36, just straight grain maple and no nosecaps or entry thimbles.
The 36 has a 40 inch barrel and the .40 caliber is a 38 inch barrel.
The .40 cal is a great deer gun.
I have taken 6 deer with a patched round ball and 55 grains of 3F.
That load is deadly accurate out of that rifle.
The third one down is a brown bess obviously, Pedersoli that I rust browned to reduce glare, the .735 round ball with 70 grains of 3F dropped a 5x5 Bull elk in his tracks.
I built two curly maple stocked fullstocked chambers rifles last winter but ended up selling them both.
One was a 45 and one was a .50
I may build myself a pretty maple stocked tennessee someday.
I really like the plain iron mounted rifles though for some reason.
I think a curly maple stocked iron mounted gun would be nice though after doing this Hawken I am currently working on.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Those are very nice indeed and thanks for sharing those. Nothing like the lines on those Southern hog rifles. Nice looking Brown Bess too....never thought of using one on an Elk, but makes alot of sense close up. Well, overall it looks like we are giving you advice but it ought to be the other way around! :wink: :mrgreen:
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

stew71 wrote:Has anyone tried out Cabela's version of the Hawken rifle? I've been eyeballin' one for a while now. The T/C Hawken appears to be very nice, American-made (big plus), but pricey. I'm guessing the Cabela's smokepole comes from Italy or Spain. Nuthin' wrong with that, mind you....but I'd like to keep some of my bucks in-country when possible.

Any insight?
I picked up one of the Cabela's Hawken rifles several years ago, and I can't find any flies on it. It was less than $150 bucks at the time, and it is as accurate as one could wish. Mine likes round ball best.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

The Lyman Great Plains or if you can find one a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle. The BMR I had with 90 gr load and patched round ball would make a 3 shot clover leaf at 50 yds.......
UNITE