My New 44-40 has No Lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

My New 44-40 has No Lever

Post by Pop Watts »

Picked up this Colt Lightning recently.
Early model that dates to 1886 as far as I can tell.
First trip to the range gave me these results with Magtech Cowboy loads.

It is great fun to shoot.

I paid $1900 Australian for it (about $1250 US) not sure if it was a good buy but I am happy.
Pop.

[attachment=1]Guns - Colt Lightning 001.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=1]Guns - Colt Lightning 001.JPG[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Re: My New 44-40 has No Lever

Post by Rustolium »

Very nice!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sweet :mrgreen: !Thanks for posting that fine pump. 8)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice gun - very unusual.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Real nice find there Pop Watts . My Dad handed down to me the Model 62 Winchester pump action .22 that fed his family through the early and mid 30's on a farm out Goulburn way so I have a real soft spot for fine old pump actions . Sadly it got stolen in a burglary in the mid 90's .

regards Jacko
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Jacko,
How can people take something that has that much sentimental value to a family?
We have to mobilise some sort of hunt to find that old Winchester.
Any distinctive markings on it?
No-one worried about serial numbers then so I guess you don't know what it was.
There are a few Australians on this forum, we all have to look for this gun.
Really, how many of them are in Australia?
Not many of them come up for sale, so let's look.
Pop.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Thanks for the sentiment Pops , appreciate the thought . I wish I had the proof of serial numbers etc . This rotten act is what woke me up and I started keeping the serial numbers ,registered my rifles and got a Qld gun licence pre Port Arthur , my apathy cost my family an heirloom . This happened 13 years ago , I would know it in a heartbeat if I saw that old girl again and I do look in gunshops even now for that rifle . Sadly there was nothing startling or eye catching about my fathers uncle Les's rifle , typical battered old farm gun with no blueing left , oil darkened timberwork , filed sights . There where thousands of them out there but time has taken it's toll on most of them .

A few weeks back I was looking for another Model 62 Winchester or the Rossi replica but fell in love with a Browning BL22 - my 10 year old girl has asked if this new rifle will hurt her shoulder and can she learn to shoot it - perhaps a new family heirloom in the making ?? My 13 year old girl is not interested , but hey there's still time .

I do not see many old Lever Actions from that era compared to the numbers of grand old pump actions I see , perhaps its the same charm you see in your old Colt .

regards Jacko
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Pop Watts, that is really nice! :D :D
If you are happy then it was a good buy :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You did really good!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the pictures!!! :mrgreen: 8) :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I paid $1900 Australian for it (about $1250 US) not sure if it was a good buy but I am happy.]

Instead of just happy, you ought to be outright gay ;) - they can be worth about $3500 +/-, here in the US, as the larger chamberings are in demand for CAS events.

Heck - even new repops are $500 -$1K, never mind a gennie.

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have a bit of experience with Lightnings, and if the condition of yours is original you got a whale of a deal. SRCs are especially highly valued, as is that configuration in Winchester levers. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Mike D. wrote:I have a bit of experience with Lightnings, and if the condition of yours is original you got a whale of a deal. SRCs are especially highly valued, as is that configuration in Winchester levers. :D
you got that right...one whale of a deal indeed
enjoy it!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Very nice find. It does me good to see rifles like that at the range being used instead of in a museum or a safe queen, even though I can't afford them. :D
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pop,
Mike D. hit it right! (again :D ) The src's bring better money. Even if it has an older refinish, you got a good buy :D . The wood looks "right" with nice checkering.

Colt Lightnings in rifle and revolver form have a reputation for being mechanically fragile, but the truth belongs to the Lightning revolvers as the rifles/carbines are hardy creatures. I've had a few over the years and these guns have been on par with the better leverguns of the era in the accuracy dept. Ain't nothin' for these guns to shoot into 3" at 100 yards. Both of the below Lightnings have had in excess of 4000 rounds out of them and who knows how much before I got 'em.

Top one is in 32-20 and the bottom one is a 38-40 with a factory set trigger.

Don't be afraid to shoot it. There's not much to wear out on them. Just use common sense and keep 'em real clean and oiled because as you know, dirt accelerates wear.

With a Lightning, you can hold the trigger back and pump the handle and you can rival a machine gun. I used to mock some SASS gunclubs "too close" targets by doing this and usually hitting most of them (wow--a 10 whole yards)------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Thanks all for the responses.

Those are a couple of nice Lightnings you have there Sixgun. I haven't tried holding the trigger back and pumping wildly - yet. I don't mind doing that to my '06 Winchester though, and it does put out a rapid rate of fire.

As far as anyone who has had a look at it can tell it is all original, including the finish. The bore is as new.

A Gunsmith here that owed me a favour rang me when he came upon it and told me I could have it for $1900. He bought it down to Sydney for the recent Gun Show and promised to keep it under the table until I had a look at it. While I was looking he was offered $2500 for it, but he honoured the deal with me. I have had another guy chasing me hard to buy it, but I like it and had a great time putting a few rounds through it. So at the moment it can come out to play now and then, but no plans to take it hunting.

Cheers,
Pop.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Man ya gotta love those pumps.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bang
Levergunner

Post by Bang »

Pop Watts wrote:Thanks all for the responses.

A Gunsmith here that owed me a favour rang me when he came upon it and told me I could have it for $1900. He bought it down to Sydney for the recent Gun Show and promised to keep it under the table until I had a look at it. While I was looking he was offered $2500 for it, but he honoured the deal with me.

Cheers,
Pop.

i am glad its not just me then.
I am tired of dealers shafting me here in Australia - I am a dealer too but i honour all my verbal, written, published and agreed prices.

I was quoted $690 for a marlin 1894 45-70 with scope thursday, I deposited the money that night - friday they call me saying its now $850 without scope.
I am going to buy the marlin .375win on usedguns i think instead.
I wish to die like my grandmother - peacefully in her sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in her car !

Is there a 21st Century lever action?
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Bang,
I have been looking at that 375 for weeks.
Why hasn't someone bought it?
I haven't because I spent my money on that Colt.
If you have or know of a good 1885 Winchester single shot I am looking. (bill_bailey@aapt.net.au)

Happy to hear there are at least 2 honest gun dealers in Australia - bet there are not many more than that!

Pop.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Wow, what a great find and a great price. If it is from circa 1886 it is the second generation where many of the bugs were worked out of the first productions.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I have had another guy chasing me hard to buy it, but I like it and had a great time putting a few rounds through it. So at the moment it can come out to play now and then, but no plans to take it hunting.]

I'd hunt it - carefully, though - and not worry about it, since it's money in the bank, getting more valuable every day.

dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

nice old pump gun you got there pops
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.