Hmmm...local powder and primer supplies coming back...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Hmmm...local powder and primer supplies coming back...

Post by stew71 »

...stopped by a couple of shops this week here in Sacramento and found Varget, IMR 4064, IMR 4895, RE-22, and many others on the shelf. Also found Winchester large rifle primers and small rifle primers. So, naturally, I stocked up....the guys behind the counters were all smiles after I left. Powder prices seem to be only slightly higher than last year...maybe a few bucks here and there. Primers are another story. $35 for 1000 Winnie primers....zowee!! :shock: The IMR4895 was only $19 per pound while Varget was $26. Beats the heck out of paying that cursed hazmat fee when going online....
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hmmm...local powder and primer supplies coming back...

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Good to hear that! :D
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

There are gun shops in Sacramento? :o :shock:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Maybe we shouldn't talk about this too much. Who knows, the state legislators may poke their heads out of the bath houses long enough to pass another law and close them down.

Dave
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Same here. many empty shelves in January, but they are starting to fill again.
pahunter
Levergunner

Post by pahunter »

Our shelves are still empty in the western pa/wheeling area.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Mike D. on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:16 pm
Amazingly enough...yes there are still a few around town. Although, none of them actually within city limits are carrying reloading supplies. The city put too many restrictions on powder and primer storage. The stores I mentioned are in the 'burbs since the county doesn't have those restrictions.

Along that same line, the city enacted a new law last year requiring purchasers of ammo to show ID and provide a thumb print. Needless to say, I no longer buy ammo in Sacramento now. F- them.... :roll:
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Since the neatest gun shop is 110 miles round trip and it is a very small shop and none of the big chains (min 240 miles) have any primers so I am forced to use mail order. Called Powder VAlley today, the web site says out of stock but they will take your order and fill it as it comes in. So I guess I will have to pay the hazmat fee, but the money I saved plus no sales tax will more than cover the fee. Winchester primers $24.00/1000, Varget $19.00 per pound.
when your enemy is within range so are you
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

stew71 wrote:
Mike D. on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:16 pm
Amazingly enough...yes there are still a few around town. Although, none of them actually within city limits are carrying reloading supplies. The city put too many restrictions on powder and primer storage. The stores I mentioned are in the 'burbs since the county doesn't have those restrictions.

Along that same line, the city enacted a new law last year requiring purchasers of ammo to show ID and provide a thumb print. Needless to say, I no longer buy ammo in Sacramento now. F- them.... :roll:
Stew, maybe you were referring to Badgers. I don't shop there due to them being a full retail plus establishment. They try to squeeze every nickel out of the customer. Once in a GREAT while, Elk Grove has a few good buys, but they also jack up their prices since they are the only game in town, so to speak. Sportsman's Warehouse, in Roseville, did have a good selection last fall, but I haven't been there since. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The shop I work in has seen some rather extraordinary sales since the election. Guns, reloading components and all the accessories. It is hard to restock. Monday, his salesman at his main supplying distributor was able to read off ALL the handguns they had on had in a minute or two. I overheard his last primer order. Bossman, "have you got any primers?" Salesman, "yeah, some ...." Bossman, "send me all you have." He got 25K CCI SR and SP primers Monday a week ago, there were 4K left Monday and I got 1K of the SPs... Previously, they would order 30K ever 2-3 months. He was looking for more primers as we unloaded the truck last Monday.

I have to kinda of laugh at myself. Most primer buyers have gotten a flat of 100 at a time, maybe 2 flats. It is not the majority that are buying up primers. But I haven't bought in 100s for 40 years! I have had a couple of guys admit that they have been buying in 5-10K lots via mail order for a while. Many of us have doubled or tripled our demand "just in case". Heck, I've been wanting to take advantage of my retirement and do some shooting! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Hey Mike....no I've steered away from Badger John's ever since he moved to the new location. I agree....wow...talk about ripping you off. And they seem to have stopped carrying used guns. The old place used to have some nice pieces. The last time I was there, he had nothing but new stuff...with prices to boot.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've seen reloading components and loaded ammunition slowly starting to fill the few gun stores I've visited as of late. Maybe the peak of the frenzy is on the down slide.
Old Law Dawg