OT-Question for the M1911 guys: Full-size vs. Commander???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

OT-Question for the M1911 guys: Full-size vs. Commander???

Post by RSY »

Thinking about getting the "Loaded" Springfield with the 4" barrel. However, I've only ever had 5" models.

Pro's? Con's?

Gracias, mis amigos. 8)
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I prefer the 4"... preferably with an "Officer's" style grip. Maintains ballance that way.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I always thought the short-grip Officer's had 3" barrels??? :?

Of course in the world of the M1911, most anything is possible.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

RSY wrote:I always thought the short-grip Officer's had 3" barrels??? :?
They do. However a favorite Carry Option was the "4x6" combo. Colt offered it for a while as the "CCO" then the "XO"
Yep. Built one myself from a stainless Commander upper and a 1991 Officer's lower. Dandy Carry gun.

SiGarms is now making a 4x6 1911 variant. Looks pretty good - if somewhat "SiGish". :wink:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

I've shot both and enjoy both. The 4'' model is fun, though. A little snappier (by that I mean the muzzle jumps up a little more than on a 5'' government model) but not too much so.

Kimber makes a Compact model (a few different kinds) that have a 4'' barrel with an Officer's-size frame. Very nice looking guns.

Rob
NRA
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

My opinion, after owning/carrying/shooting both fullsize , compact ,and subcompact..

The Commander sized pistol has less recoil, and carries easier in MY Milt Sparks IWB holster. The subcompacts become 'topheavy' in a holster.

The take down can be more dificult, because the recoil spring tension is sometimes more in the short barreled gun.

For fast shooting, the Commander size rules. The recoil cycle is much faster, so the sights return to target quicker.

For accuracy, no difference to me.

I no longer carry the small 1911's, doesn't seem quite 'right' to me.

My wife likes the subcompacts, but cannot break them down herself, which is why she carries the 'midsized' Commander clone.

The sub's seem to have the most recoil and muzzle blast. The fullsize 1911's have more recoil ( heavier slide maybe? ) than the commander clones.

Good luck.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

IN MY NEVER HUMBLE OPINION THE ONLY REASON TO HAVE A COMMANDER 1911 IS FOR THE LIGHTWEIGHT FRAME. GIVING UP 3/4" OF THE BARREL AND STAYING WITH THE STEEL FRAME IS SILLY. AS A MATTER OF FACT I DO NOT THINK I WILL EVER BUY ANOTHER 1911 OF ANY PERSUATION THAT DOESN'T HAVE THE LIGHTWEIGHT FRAME. MY 1911 FULL SIZED LITEWEIGHT SPRINGFIELD 9X23 IS SO DELIGHTFUL AS TO BEGGER COMPARISON.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I guess I'm with Terry on this one. If it has a steel frame I'd just as soon have a 5" gun. I've owned Colt Gold Cups, a Combat Commander, and a Lightweight Commander, a Series 70 Goverment Model modified by Wilsons I gave my son and currently two Kimbers. One is a stainless TLE II which is a 5" gun and a Pro CDP which is a lightweight 4" gun with full size frame. I would have prefered the officiers frame but I bought this one for less than half its retail price so I can live with the 3/8" difference in height. I really like this CDP, its been perfect in function, is very accurate and shoots to point of aim at 25yds with hardball. It would be my choice as a carry gun, if Illinois would allow it. :cry:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have both, with steel frames. Not one whit worth of difference such that I bought a full-size AFTER having the Combat Commander for a number of years. I need to buy a lightweight. In fact, that will be my next gun purchase. Thanks for bringing it up. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

all in what you want to use it for. have the RIA. 4" in my nitestand. carries well, shoots the 230gr. hp. everytime. not looking for target or long range accuracy, its more accurate than i can shoot it, and serves it's purpose well.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Stick to the original 5" version. You will never regret that.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Make mine a FULL SIZE GOVT model! Thats just the way they were meant to be built. If I have a need for a smaller gun, I would get the S&W 4513 or something along that line.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Another vote for the Commander or larger. The Officer's model I have is a Para P-12 so it is heavier and easier to hold than the other's I suppose, but is NOT 'fun' to shoot. Not so much recoil as just doesn't feel like a real GUN as far as pointability. Got an aftermarket spring/buffer because I heard they wear out faster than full size, but don't know if that's true. Still, when I reach for a 1911, it is usually a full-size of some brand or another.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

I currently have a full size 1911 and have owned a Colt Defender. I really like the Defender and it was easier to carry than the full size gun. Even though the Officer's size gun was easier to carry, the full size gun is easier to shoot.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Scott,

I like the full-sized models myself .... strictly personal preference of course.

Cheers,

Carl
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have a full sized 5" model and the Para P12.45, which has a 3.5" tube. I like the latter for concealed carry - gets pretty warm here, so a lot of covering clothing is not always an option.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Let me make clear that I do NOT care for the Officer's 3" Slide - just the shorter grip frame. (I also hate bushingless 1911s - and the 3" has no bushing)

After owning/carrying a 5" GI model for a god bit, I found that the LW Officer's grip frame - once full of ammo - mated to the SS 4" Commander upper had about the perfect balance for me.

My "custom" CCO is another gun I wish I had never parted with...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I find the butt harder to conceal than the barrel. I carry IWB. I like OI's LW Officer's grip frame and Commander top. I once almost bought a LW Officer but was $50 short... emptied my pockets and the guy wouldn't take my check! And me in UNIFORM! :shock:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

You guys mention "officers" as 3" but IIRC the Colt Officers were 3.5" guns.

About the question though- personally I prefer the Commander size, and when I say Commander I mean full size gripframe and 4.25" barrel, no shorter. I've held 4" guns such as the Kimbers and they should be great but that extra 1/4" of barrel missing makes a lot of difference in appearance.

Actually I can't see that much difference in the Commander and the full size, and I can't see that much difference in the alloy frame vs. steel frame, so whichever you prefer, go for it. In other words I can't see that the extra 3/4" of barrel that the full size gun has will increase velocity or accuracy that much. OTOH I don't see that removing the 3/4" of barrel will improve the concealibility of the gun that much either.
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

I like both, but it isn't that easy is it. I also have both the 5" Govt. and 4 1/4" Commander models. I prefer the Commander for all purposes except strictly target shooting. To me it simply carries much better and is slightly faster while just as accurate at 15 yards or less when shooting quickly from the holster. Does it really matter? not really in my opinion. get whatever feels best in your hand. As a side note on conceal ability; it only matters in a horizontal shoulder holster or out of a fanny pack. On the belt or inside the pants the extra length never bothered me, ( I am 6'2" and 205 lbs). As for a decision? Get the 4" barrel if you plan to carry it since you have experience with the others, unless it will strictly see range duty. Either way: ENJOY!!!
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

RSY wrote:I always thought the short-grip Officer's had 3" barrels??? :?

Officers ACP models have 3.5" barrels, Defenders have 3".
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Old Ironsights wrote:Let me make clear that I do NOT care for the Officer's 3" Slide - just the shorter grip frame. (I also hate bushingless 1911s - and the 3" has no bushing)

After owning/carrying a 5" GI model for a god bit, I found that the LW Officer's grip frame - once full of ammo - mated to the SS 4" Commander upper had about the perfect balance for me.

My "custom" CCO is another gun I wish I had never parted with...
Officers models have a bushing, Defenders do not.
Tommy Reb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Tommy Reb »

I have a full size, an officers model and a defender. For carry I go with the defender everytime, both for size and weight.
Unreconstructed
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I thought this one might flush OD out of hiding. Mission accomplished. :D
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

RSY wrote:I thought this one might flush OD out of hiding. Mission accomplished. :D
I just stopped over and noticed this thread and the one inquiring about Ranch. :wink:
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Had an officers Model at one time ! Did not like it at all. Since then I have always carried a full size steel in 5 inch length. Its all I need, and fits me perfect. Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

5" more nostalgic, 4" more practical. I personally want a 5" just like Dad had during WWII and after until he sold it in 1970 for $75... ARGH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm with Terry, too.

I've had a Lightweight Commander .45 for over twenty years, and love the light frame, straight mainspring housing and rowel hammer spur.

The only additions I've made are a Wilson recoil buffer, Wilson thin grips, and Chip McCormick "melted" sights.

As for "controlability" ? When my Grandson was 12, he shot 4" groups @ 7yds the first time he ever shot a C.F. handgun with it.
I hadn't told him that they were hard to shoot.
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Pete, did you install the flat MSH?