Why I carry a gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Why I carry a gun

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Gentlemen,
Got this in E-Mail today and thought to share.

Why I Carry a Gun. Author Unknown

My daddy said to me, "Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an butt whoopin'."

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me." Police Protection" is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime; they investigate the crime after it happens. and then try to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an butt whoopin'."..author unknown

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes. The Average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 Feet Per Second
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why I carry a gun

Post by Modoc ED »

How many times do we gotta read that? If ya have a CCW permit fine. If ya don't fine. If ya carry anyway without a permit fine. My .02¢ is that if yer smart, ya keep that kind of thing to yerself unless of course ya just have to brag on yourself.

Just my .02¢
ED
Yer never too old
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That sums it up pretty good Paul........ Looks like someone needs a new rawhide chewy, tho :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

BlaineG wrote:That sums it up pretty good Paul........ Looks like someone needs a new rawhide chewy, tho :lol:
If ya got any spare rawhide chewies send em my way will ya Blaine. :)
ED
Yer never too old
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

If I knew ahead of time when and where I would need my gun. Then I just wouldn’t go there, then. But I can’t and don’t, so I always carry.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I feel safer knowing that Texas is a concealed carry state and that at least someone in the store of wherever I am will probably have a gun, and that criminals won't be able to tell who it is.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I carry a gun because a cop won't fit in my pocket/
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

piller wrote:I feel safer knowing that Texas is a concealed carry state and that at least someone in the store of wherever I am will probably have a gun, and that criminals won't be able to tell who it is.

I feel much safer in Washington State where not only can you conceal carry (but you must have government permission, a CCW) but I can Open Carry without anymore's permission but the Federal Constitution and the Washington State Constitution, which is better worded that the Federal one for protectin my gun rights. piller, are you aware that Texas is one of only six states in this country that does NOT allow Open Carry of firearms. Seems pretty strange with Texas' history. :roll:
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

Doc Hudson wrote:I carry a gun because a cop won't fit in my pocket/
well that isn't really true :-)

this one would LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL well maybe cargo pocket :-)

Talon
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bear 45/70 wrote:If I knew ahead of time when and where I would need my gun. Then I just wouldn’t go there, then. But I can’t and don’t, so I always carry.
I've only really 'needed' the carry gun twice in 50 years, but both times were in 'good' neighborhoods, and 'ordinary' circumstances, so all the stuff about needing to prove a 'reason' to have a CCW permit are a bunch of BS. If you are alive and breathing and have a family who you'd like to keep that way, you by definition meet any 'need' criteria.

The worst thing is that you need to retain the element of 'surprise' and if word gets out you carry, you will just get shot in the back so you never have a chance. THAT is what I think is criminal when 'journalists' decide to publish CCW lists. THOSE 'JOURNALISTS' should have THEIR names and addresses and kid's school-bus routes 'published' just so they can share in the vulnerability they've given the single-mom who works night shift and is trying to get away from her violent ex-husband the 'system' turned loose.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Modoc ED wrote:
BlaineG wrote:That sums it up pretty good Paul........ Looks like someone needs a new rawhide chewy, tho :lol:
If ya got any spare rawhide chewies send em my way will ya Blaine. :)
Don't be touchin' my chewies..... :|
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Because I can
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Modoc ED wrote:How many times do we gotta read that? If ya have a CCW permit fine. If ya don't fine. If ya carry anyway without a permit fine. My .02¢ is that if yer smart, ya keep that kind of thing to yerself unless of course ya just have to brag on yourself.

Just my .02¢
Modoc,
Didn't know this had been posted before , or, many times. I doubt the bad guys in my town peruse this forum. I do have more than a few CCP, Don't carry 24-7 and don't advertise that I am armed. I am curious exactly what fired you up?
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Paul Jenkins wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:How many times do we gotta read that? If ya have a CCW permit fine. If ya don't fine. If ya carry anyway without a permit fine. My .02¢ is that if yer smart, ya keep that kind of thing to yerself unless of course ya just have to brag on yourself.

Just my .02¢
Modoc,
Didn't know this had been posted before , or, many times. I doubt the bad guys in my town peruse this forum. I do have more than a few CCP, Don't carry 24-7 and don't advertise that I am armed. I am curious exactly what fired you up?
Oh hell, don't mind me. I haven't had my chewy today and Blaine won't share any of his chewies with me.
ED
Yer never too old
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bear 45/70:
If you knew the Texas history with politicians, then you would know why we can't carry openly. Queen Ann was as anti gun as anyone could be, and George W. Bush barely beat her for his first term as Governor. Remember who Lyndon B Johnson was. He was a Texas Politician. Remember who Dan "Rather Biased" Rather is. He is a Texan. Sadly, this great state has had some rotten politicians and a rotten Kingmaker.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

rawhide chewies help when you're grumpy?
huh! i'll have to get some away from the dog....

for my wife.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

piller wrote:Bear 45/70:
If you knew the Texas history with politicians, then you would know why we can't carry openly. Queen Ann was as anti gun as anyone could be, and George W. Bush barely beat her for his first term as Governor. Remember who Lyndon B Johnson was. He was a Texas Politician. Remember who Dan "Rather Biased" Rather is. He is a Texan. Sadly, this great state has had some rotten politicians and a rotten Kingmaker.

I actually lived in Texas for a short time back in the mid 70s after I was discharged. Didn't like it much and left for a better place.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sixgun wrote:Because I can
Oh so true+1 :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I live by the old adage, "better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it."