Marlin Feeding Problem - 444 caliber

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Marlin Feeding Problem - 444 caliber

Post by AJMD429 »

(...this was posted on a thread I'd started awhile back on magazine capacity, and I quoted/reposted it here as a new topic because I didn't want the question to go unanswered...)
got a question about the Marlin 444s(made in 1979) has anyone herd of feeding problems with this
particular model ??? there is one for sale over here and I was looking for a good pre safety 45/70 and found this
and thort well that is pretty darn nice looking rifle

Charley Reese
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Marlin Feeding Problem - 444 caliber

Post by J Miller »

Does this rifle have feeding problems? Maybe you're asking too generic a question.

I don't know anything about the big bore Marlin lever guns, but I can't remember any posts about any of them having feeding problems. That seems to mostly be the 1894s.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My .444 Marlin 336 feeds just great. I have only ever shot the one I own so cant say for others. :D
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

thanks AJMD429....I did a bit of a search yesterday and there was a mention of feeding issues with this rifle ???
the guy said he could only have one round in the mag or when he cycled the action it would jam.....
and didn't say how I was thinking he may have had some kind of timing issue ??? with the shell stop on the mag

thanks again guys Dave
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Jeff Quinn recently tested a new Marlin on Gunblast.com and had one with a damaged magazine tube. First time I have ever heard of that, but maybe it has happened to someone else.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

I can't speak to the 1979 model, but I bought a new one in 07 and had "feeding" problem right out of the box. What you are describing is called "The Marlin Jam" and is not unique to the 444. Long story short, I sent it back to marlin under warranty and they replaced one part and adjusted another and test fired it and sent it back in in a week. I haven't had a problem since and still own it. In fact, it is my favorite rifle. Very Accurate, versatile and hard hitting and... a LOT of fun to shoot.

If you want to find out more about "The Marlin Jam" go over to Marlinowners.com and do a search on it.
JP_TX
444 Marlin
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I have a Marlin .444S made in 1979. It functions flawlessly. Never have had one hicup with it.

Of course any rifle can have a problem but I've never heard of a problem with 1979 manufactured .444s .
ED
Yer never too old
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I got rid of my Marlin and bought a Winchester...never had a problem since. :twisted:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I own no less then ELEVEN Marlin's in the 444 caliber !

Eight were made 1975 or before and the other three were made 1998 or after .

NONE and I repeat NONE of mine have had feeding problems with any factory ammo , jacketed reloads or cast reloads . And as for the cast stuff I have tried all the way from a 207 grain bullet up to a 400 grain bullet !

Some folks have had issue with the Leverevolution ammo . I've only fired that in my 444XLR and as expected had NO problems !

Oh yeah almost forgot I own a H&R Handi Rifle in 444 Marlin and as you might expect this one feeds well also as long as you can get the bullet from your fingers into the chamber :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

No Marlin jam with the H&R??? How did they fix the problem??? :?
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Old Time Hunter wrote:I got rid of my Marlin and bought a Winchester...never had a problem since. :twisted:
Maybe no mechanical problems but the shame of having to hunt with a Winchester must be a heavy burden for you to bear. :lol:
ED
Yer never too old
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

The infamous Marlin jam problem is with the 1894 action. The 336 action do not suffer from this proble. The 1895s, and 444s are all 336 actions.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Bear 45/70 wrote:The infamous Marlin jam problem is with the 1894 action. The 336 action do not suffer from this proble. The 1895s, and 444s are all 336 actions.
Like I said above, I've never had an issue with my 1979 model .444S and I know of no issues across the board with the Marlin .444 rifles or as "Bear 45/70" said, any of the 336 actions.

I'm tired of repeating myself so I'll shut-up now. :)
ED
Yer never too old
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I was told some of them had defective levers.
Once replaced they were ok!!!
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

thanks for the info it has been very helpful sounds like oldmate on the net was just sooking about a minor fault
so there is no particular problem with this model just the odd fault like any other weapon
so i better ring the gun shop on Monday then
thanks again for all the info Dave
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

madman4570 wrote:I was told some of them had defective levers.
Once replaced they were ok!!!

Defective levers is what the "Marlin Jam" is all about. BUT ONLY IN THE 1894 and not the 336 action which includes the 1895 and the 444.
Last edited by Bear 45/70 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I had some "Marlin Jam": yesterday which i chronicled in another thread. I was using Blazer aluminum cased ammo, which is strictly forbidden in MarlinWorld though, but fine everywhere else (1894 gun , 44 mag, not a 444 336 gun)
----- Doug