Handloading for Savage 99 (.308 Win.) question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ozymandias
Levergunner

Handloading for Savage 99 (.308 Win.) question

Post by ozymandias »

Greetings,
I'm about to commence a hanloading project for a friends Model 99 Savage. It's a pre-WWII vintage .308 Win. in ostensibly good condition. The owner is a good friend and neighbor, and I want to provide him with some quality ammo that will not be detrimental to that wonderful old rifle, so my question is; How tolerant is this rifle to chamber pressures? I'm not sure how the strength of this rifle compares to bolt action rifles, and I haven't been able to find any material specific to it. I plan to use IMR 4064 and Hornady 150 gr. BT-FMC bullets. I presently get very good performance using 43.0 gr. of it under that same bullet in two bolt actions that I own. It's a warm load, but it's within Hornady's parameters, and I don't get signs of excessive pressure with it in my turnbolts. I would welcome any advice.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Handloading for Savage 99 (.308 Win.) question

Post by 86er »

I have a similar vintage Savage 99 in 308. If you don't get the shoulder on the brass just right it will let you know by the lever being a little tight to close in the last few centimeters. If you are loaded too warm, it will let you know by requiring a brisk pull on the lever to get it to open intially after firing a round. I personally load 165 gr NP at 2550 fps with no problems. That load is about a 90% load in the newer reloading manuals. The Savage 99 is pretty tough, and it is very good about letting you know if you are not loaded just right.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Did they make a pre WWII 99 in 308? I don't think they did as the cartridge was developed during/after the war. Still, since I've seen 2 of these that have separated case heads with warm reloads, I'd be staying down well below max loads to take it easy on them. As 86er said, they can be fussy about setting the shoulder back too far.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

These 99s are either rechambered or are not pre-WWII. The 308 came into being in 1958, at least that's what both my Cartridges of the World says.
ozymandias
Levergunner

Post by ozymandias »

Bear 45/70 wrote:These 99s are either rechambered or are not pre-WWII. The 308 came into being in 1958, at least that's what both my Cartridges of the World says.
Good catch Bear & Buffboy, you're correct about the .308 not being a WWII catridge, and I didn't have the presence of mind to question my friend about it when he told me. I'm sure he believed it to be true when he acquired it (he's not very knowledgeable about firearms, which gives him and not me an excuse). The burnished metal parts, and appearance of the rifle caused me to not even think about how old the .308 is (redfaced).
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

ozymandias, the serial number will tell when that 99 was born. See if you can get it.
ozymandias
Levergunner

Post by ozymandias »

Bear 45/70 wrote:ozymandias, the serial number will tell when that 99 was born. See if you can get it.
I'll walk over there this evening and look at it Bear. My friend will take great delight in my making a fool of myself on a forum.
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

ozymandias wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:ozymandias, the serial number will tell when that 99 was born. See if you can get it.
I'll walk over there this evening and look at it Bear. My friend will take great delight in my making a fool of myself on a forum.

What are friends for anyway. Image
You should have Blaine for a friend. Image