Range report --- 1894 Marlin and SBR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Range report --- 1894 Marlin and SBR

Post by Streetstar »

Range trip yesterday resulted in me being pretty happy with my 1894 --- (first photo) -- 4 nice consistent shots and one "flincher" --- this is at 35 yards, so they are pretty high --- actually they stay high at 50 too, -- i assume they should be right on at 100 with typical pistol cartridge flight trajectory . Load was UMC .44 MAgnum 185 gr JSP -- at 185 grain -- kind of a plinker, but i was told not to exceed 225 with a microgroove barrel. I was happy enough with that

2nd 2 are from the scary black rifle --- I soon found out how frivolous the forward pistol grip and rail mounted bipod were if shooting off a bench and they were quickly removed. I thought the bipod would be nice, but it sets the rifle too high. -- i digress, after a few shots at close range to get it on paper, i moved it to 50 yards-- resulting group is pictured, and after adjusting the scope to the left and down one last time, the final shot came close enough to dead center for me. At this point, the bolt hold open actuated, signifying that the magazine was empty and i had just went through 15$ worth of .223 and about the same in .44 Mag. So it was retired to its case until next time, when it move it back to 100, where it needs to be. I shot .22's at clay targets on the 50 yard berm for the remainder of the day, then capped everything off with some cold beer and fiery mexican food at a place in town :D
Ammo was Lake City stamped , Federal boxed XM193. I was happy enough considering the trigger pull (how did i ever endure one of these when i was in the Army? :lol: ) and the odd sensation of the buffer and spring cycling through the stock

last 2 pics are some of my "stock" photos of the rifles, i forgot to take any field photos --- the next pic i will post of the 1894 will be with a 4" shorter barrel, -- it is being dropped off today at the smithys.

----- Doug