M92 Raw Materials that Shoot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

M92 Raw Materials that Shoot

Post by Idiot »

Thanks to all who answered the question I posted regarding the Rossi M92 safety. The answers, along with a conversation with NKJ, helped me make a decision.

After years of knocking the Rossi M92, I finally bought one. I used to sell the Rossi's a long time ago and could never figure why anyone one would want one. The ones I sold seemed to be cast in sand and assembled with the sand still on the parts, and the wood looked liked stained discarded shipping pallets. But, I wanted a 92 as a knock around weapon and one I could count on to be there in case of an unexpected raging storm, either in the field or on the streets.

So I began my search a year ago. I was encouraged when Taylor began importing the Italian M92, but became discouraged after finding they had internal problems and couldn't always be counted on to work with modern cartridges. Then I shifted to Browning, but availability and price became and issue. I don't mind paying almost a grand for a carbine, but I certainly don't want it to bounce around in the back of my truck for that much. And I discovered that with their barrels being rifled with different twists, I could just as easily wind up with an inaccurate one as an accurate one. So I began reluctantly looking at the, yuck, Rossi carbines. Or more accurately, began thinking about the Rossi, and not looking too closely at them - looking too closely is what tainted me to begin with.

Well, one showed up, new, in the right chambering, for less than $400, so I asked the safety question, got advice, and laid down my money. I hope it shoots well.

After getting it home I made the mistake of looking too close again and am suffering a little buyers remorse; remorse I will fight off in two ways. One, I know Rossi is about the only game in town and if I want a 92, Rossi is it. And two, I will consider this gun a "piece of raw materials I can shoot" until I have enough money to make it better. It could use some good sights, a stiffer check ball spring for the safety (if I keep the safety it needs to stay where I put it), a new butt stock that doesn't have "Sharpie" marks to cover missed staining (oer the wood filler) and one that actually comes within an 1/8th of an inch of fitting the butt plate, and a few internal parts and polishing to make it last longer and run smoother. In the mean time it will function (I hope) as it's supposed to and guard my hide as intended. And at less than $400, I've got at least $300 or so to make it right (and still be less than a Browning).

I've split wood with fine forged axes and with axes cast in China. In both cases I've ended up with a stack of wood to keep me warm. I'll look at this M92 tool with that in mind.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: M92 Raw Materials that Shoot

Post by mescalero1 »

I am glad you found a gun.
Don't remind me about wood, I have to cut for myself and 2 single women for this winter.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Get one of Steve's videos and slick that thing up, you'll like it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

mescalero1, the last firewood I cut was two years ago. My wife and I cut and split 26 rick of oak for a Navajo preachers church up by Ganado, they came here and picked it up.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I like your attitude.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'd guess from your description that they only come in one caliber, but I can't recall which one it is! :lol:

My daughter has an older stainless rossi in .45 colt that's finely made and a fine shooter. Maybe yours is made in .45 caliber.

The sand is left in there for final fitting, a self-polishing action job, thrown in for no extra charge.

Regards,

Grizz
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

JerryB,
Does my cutting for single women qualify the same as you & your missus cutting for the church group?
I hope that oak was not too tough to split!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Idiot,

You're over thinking the situation.

Call NKJ back and order his CD and spring kit. When it gets there you can polish up and tune the action yourself.

The wood is easy. Just ask. There are at least a half dozen guys here that have done refinishes on Rossis. And a couple who do stock finishing on a regular basis. Lots of free advice. The stain and final finish isn't overly expensive. Just takes patience and a bit of time.

The sights, well, if the bullets hit where the sights look I'd use them. If not I'd have the rifle D&T'd for a side mount receiver sight. Matter of fact that's exactly what I did with my Rossi.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Yep, I'm going to buy the DVD and do whatever work I can do myself (although I really do like Steve's work - he is gifted). As for the stock, how do I swell it a extra quarter inch here and there? :wink: You guys give good advice and it is listened to and appreciated.

Grizz, you've got me pegged. :wink: :)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

...and what caliber are we talking about?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
dpe.ahoy
Levergunner

Post by dpe.ahoy »

I think yer gonna find the Rossi grows on ya. I just picked up my 4th, a stainless Trapper in 454 Casull. Needs polished up to be smoother, but came with Williams Firesights that my old eyes can use. I bought a new 357 mag with the 24" Octagon barrel that I had to put a taller front sight on and bought a used 44 mag that has a Williams receiver peep on it. Have had to glue the stock on that one after it started to split, now the 357 wears that butt stock as the cresent butt plate on it dug into my shoulder to much. The 44 now has a 454 butt stock on it with factory recoil pad. Have had to have the magazine tube worked on twice, keeps backing outunder recoil. The blued 454 with 20" barrel was used and had no problems with it, that's why I bought the stainless in the same caliber. The magazine tube in them and the 480 Ruger is threaded to screw into the receiver to handle the recoil better. Most of the rounds thru them are heavy 45 Colts till I get some more 454 brass and it feeds the 45's fine. DP
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Mine came from EMF . And not a thing was wrong that I could tell. Dead center at open sites at 25 yards. Not bad at 50 and even kept it on paper at 100 . Must be the gun as I 'm neart blind in one eye and the other stays strained most of the time. But it is my shooting eye that's good.
Don't get to shoot as much as I'd like but really enjoy it when I can. But times like these I'm saving ammo :shock: ........................Mutt
yukondog
Levergunner

Post by yukondog »

Got mine in 44mag.still useing the same crapy sights that came with the gun,shoots about 11/2" to 2" at 50yrds. anything farther than that I'm not any good, can keep it on paper at 100yrds. but looks like I hit it with a shotgun. I gues I got lucky my action was butter smooth out of the box.
Fairshake
Levergunner

Post by Fairshake »

Steve has the sights to improve the 92. The Marbles tang site makes it a keeper, much better than drilling holes in the side. His DVD will answer all questions. If you have the Rossi with the sight on the bbl band, then Steve can correct that too. Look for the improved tang site. It has a lock nut on the post and comes with three apertures.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

I couldn't abide the safety or the plug, so I had the hole welded up. A little sanding and cold blue made it look almost acceptable. :)
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

edwardyoung wrote:I couldn't abide the safety or the plug, so I had the hole welded up. A little sanding and cold blue made it look almost acceptable. :)
I thought of the welding solution also, but became concerned about heat softening the area around the lock-up. And now that I've got the gun I decided to give the safety a shot and see I can ignore it.

Besides, the gun is a lot safer now that it has a safety. On my other guns, without safeties, I usually have to use dummy rounds to test function and work smooth the action, but with this one, with a safety, I can simply put it on safe and use live ammo knowing that it's just as safe as the other method - heck, it's probably even more safe. It's like my old pre-safety Marlins; when in the field I used to only chamber a round when I knew there was a high likelihood of firing, now I carry it around with a live round in the chamber - fully cocked - with the safety on - and know I am completely safe. I've heard that even if one were to fall in a bunch of boulders, that doing so with the gun loaded, locked, cocked, and on safe is much safer than doing the same with a gun without a safe, even if there's no round in the chamber.

Heck, I even carry it fully loaded and cocked, with the safety on, in my easyrider rifle rack stationed right behind my head in my fuel efficient low emission sub-compact hybred pick-up truck. It's taken me a while, but I've finally faced the fact that safeties have made guns, well, safe.
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Too much cafine!!

:P
Jesus is the way.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

And we ask once again . . . caliber?

Maybe it doesn't have a caliber, maybe, just maybe it shoots whatever you put in it! Kewal!

:mrgreen:

Cat
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Idiot wrote:Yep, I'm going to buy the DVD and do whatever work I can do myself (although I really do like Steve's work - he is gifted). As for the stock, how do I swell it a extra quarter inch here and there? :wink: You guys give good advice and it is listened to and appreciated.

Grizz, you've got me pegged. :wink: :)

Idiot,

I might have a butstock if you want it. I had mine restocked awhile back. The original got broke in transit but its been repaired & is plenty servicable.
Let me know & if your interested I'll dig it out. Its the reddish EMF wood.
PM me if you are. :wink:
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Catshooter wrote:And we ask once again . . . caliber?

Maybe it doesn't have a caliber, maybe, just maybe it shoots whatever you put in it! Kewal!

:mrgreen:

Cat
Oops! It is a between .429 and .434 caliber. It's chambered in 44 Magnum.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

mescalero1 wrote:I am glad you found a gun.
Don't remind me about wood, I have to cut for myself and 2 single women for this winter.
mescalero, if you cut enough for the two single women you may not need any for your home. :D
Ricky

DWWC
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Oh,no, it's not like that.