Navy Arms 1892

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigpappa
Levergunner

Navy Arms 1892

Post by bigpappa »

Hello, this is my first post, I just purchased a Navy Arms 1892 in 44-40 at an estate sale and know nothing about lever guns, all I have been able to find out on web is that they don't make this one anymore. It has a straight stock and 24" octagon barrel,I was wondering if its a good gun and if anyone has any pet loads for the 44-40, I'm interested in hunting with it, not cowboy shooting since we have no groups in my area, Thanks
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the fire, bigpappa!

I can't tell you much about the 44-40, since that's one caiber I've never owned or used - but I'm sure someone will be along shortly, that does.

The Navy Arms M92 is, IMO, one of the more attractive versions of the Winchester M92 clones - and n octagon barrel is drool material.

BTW - Incase you weren't aware - pics are mandatory ! :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BTT

Welcome aboard! I love the '92. Don't own a gun in .44-40 either, but a lot of folks here do. Probably slow to reply due to the New Year's holiday. If you don't get an answer under this thread try posting the question with the subject line "what is your favorite .44-40 load?".

Good luck! :D
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

IT IS A GOOD GUN MADE BY ROSSI IN BRAZIL AND STOCKED BY NAVY ARMS HERE IN THE U S OF A. ROSSI HAS BEEN MAKING COPIES OF THE '92 WINCHESTER SINCE MOSES WAS A CORPORAL AND I WOULD SUSPECT BY NOW HAVE MADE A HECK OF A BUNCH MORE OF 'EM THAN WINCHESTER EVER DID. I HAVE TWO OF THESE IN DIFFERENT CALIBERS AND BOTH ARE SLICK NEAT CARBINES; YOURS IS A RIFLE.
THE 44-40 IS THE ORIGINAL CENTERFIRE LEVERGUN CARTRIDGE FROM 1873 INTRODUCED IN THE MODEL 1873 WINCHESTER. THERE IS NOTHING SPECTACULAR ABOUT THE 44-40 CARTRIDGE WITH IT'S 200gr BULLET FLYING AT 1200FPS FROM MOST CARBINE OF RIFLE BARRELS. THAT WAS ENOUGH TO KILL HELL OUT OF A PILE OF WHITE MEN, RED MEN, WHITETAIL, BLACKTAILS, PRONGBUCKS, FLORA, FAUNA, AND OTHER ASSORTED RIFF RAFF. IT WAS THE " ASSAULT RIFLE CARTRIDE " OF IT'S DAY AND DID A FINE JOB OF IT.
IF YOU ARE A HANDLOADER YOUR '92 44-40 CAN BE LOADED TO WELL ABOVE THE POWER OF A 44MAG SIXGUN AND THAT '92 WILL HANDLE SUCH LOADS IN FINE STYLE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

What Terry Murbach said, plus Navy Arms supposedly the only company that used "real" walnut - American - on the Rossis. Don't know if this applied through all models and all years of production...but in the past several years NA touted the American walnut application for its 92s.

You'll find the .44-40 a hoot to shoot. It has a reputation in many of its mild factory loadings (and not just "cowboy") for being a bit slow - and if you listen carefully you can actually hear the "thwap" on the target after what seems like an eternity after the boom--comparatively speaking in the gun world. This does not make it a bad round (I would not want to be standing out there in its way) but - again in factory types - it lugs along. However, in those loadings its still a pretty good POA @ 100 yds in a carbine, maybe 115-125 with the longer rifle. Starts dropping off fairly fast after that -- Woodrow wasn't shooting a .44-40 that I know of but something bigger 'n badder, but if you've seen that scene with him sighting over his dead horse with the bad guys a ways off taunting him and his slow rifle -- you know the drill! Still, I'm not sure I can see with bare sights much past that range anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

This is my Navy Arms short rifle (20") .45 Colt.
I am sure you will enjoy yours.
I think Terry just about said it all about the .44-40. :D
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

My first centerfire rifle was a Winchester 1892 20" carbine in 44-40 WCF and I was handloading for it the late '70's. If you also handload, it can be stoked up with 2400 or Blue Dot to about 1800 fps (more if you are careful). Don't know if they are still available but Remington used to sell 200 gr, .425 jacketed SP bullets, which expand quite well at rifle velocities. Factory loads are pretty mild but fun to shoot.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

for just fun plinking my NA 44/40 load

my cast 200 gr lfn .429
9.0 grs unique
"starline" brass
win primer

I chronied this load and was getting 1280 fps but don't have my notes in front of me right now.

as said above you can use 2400 and hot rod the 92 action as it can take it.
the rifle is accurate with the .429 cast bullets.I use magma lube then a light coat of lee tl over that.I bought some of the jacketed sp's but haven't shot any yet as I am having a blast with cast :lol:
one last thing starline brass is much better than the rem or win brass imho.
pete
DAV life member.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Yeah, where are the pics :cry: good luck with your new purchase and welcome to the fire. That won't be your last levergun if you stick around here.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

bigpappa, welcome aboard! I have a NA '92 short rifle with 20" octagon barrel in .45colt. I love it! Cannot help you with the .44-40 part, but TERRY PRETTY MUCH COVERED IT! :D :D
Hope all have a great, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker