First Groundhog of the Season

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

First Groundhog of the Season

Post by KirkD »

Well after supper this evening, I told my wife that I'd work on mudding the drywall in the bathroom, but I figured that just before I did that, I should take a stroll down to the alfalfa field to see if there were any of the Groundhogs up for an evening snack, before retiring to the many holes they have so kindly dug all over my alfalfa field. I got down my old Winchester Model 53 25-20, made in 1925 and grabbed 6 rounds stuffed with 5 grains of Unique under a 74 grain Lyman 257420 GC bullet.

Crossing the backyard, I dropped the lever and slipped one round into the chamber. I eased the hammer down, then clicked it back to half cock and made my way down along the fence to the alfalfa field. I was almost there when I saw one of the largest Skunks I've seen in a dog's age. Now we've been having trouble with skunks. They come around the house at night, steal the Pickles the Cat's food, and get into fights on the front step and three times, about 2:00 am in the morning, they've let fly right near the intake for our air exchanger. When that happens, I suddenly wake up to the whole house filling with stinking skunk fumes and I rush downstairs and turn off the air exchanger. Then, the next day, we burn candles all day to get rid of the stench. Anyway, we got more Skunks around here than you can shake a stick at, and here was one not 10 yards away perched right on the edge of a large Groundhog hole and me with a loaded classic Winchester 25-20 in my hands. Well, I eased that hammer back to full cock and laid that front bead between his eyes, there was a loud 'CRACK' from the old Winchester, and the Skunk conveniently tumbled into the entrance of the large Groundhog hole. Today was my lucky day, I guess. Of all the place for a skunk to expire, the entrance to a large Groundhog hole is about the best place I can think of. I didn't even have to drag him over to a Groundhog hole, he was already about 1 foot down into the hole, so I took a large rock and corked the hole and then added some loose dirt around the edge of the rock so I wouldn't have to smell the old boy for the rest of the summer and into next year every time I walked down to the alfalfa field, which is quite often. I imagine that the Groundhog that lives in that hole will be leaving by the back door to find some new digs shortly.

The field looked pretty deserted until I got near the far end. By cracky, there was a big fat Groundhog (compliments of the alfalfa) sitting by his hole! There was a small hamlet about a quarter mile the other side of him, and it is my policy to not shoot in the direction of a house, forget about a small hamlet, so I began to walk in a large circle around him to get between him and the hamlet. As I walked, I also spiraled in and pretended I wasn't interested in him at all. I peeked at him from the corner of my eye just to see how he was taking it. Well he took it until I was almost half way around him and then he couldn't stand it any longer and jumped down his hole. No problem, I then walked straight to my desired position and sat down, made myself comfy, and waited for him to stick his head out to take a look. I waited for a long time. Finally, I figured I'd haul out my iPhone and check out Leverguns. I just about had it up on the screen when I took a peek over at his hole. By gum, he'd got completely out of it and was sitting broadside to me not 25 yards away! I lowered my iPhone slowly down into the alfalfa and raised the hand back up to my rifle slow and smooth as silk. I pulled the hammer back very slightly with my thumb to take the pressure off, then pulled the trigger back as I eased the hammer back to full cock, then released the trigger so I could cock it without making a sound. I laid that bead on the big fat Groundhog and there was another 'CRACK' and he jumped straight up and tumbled into his hole. He made it about 4 feet in and at that point departed for the Great Alfalfa Field in the Sky. Of all the Groundhogs in my alfalfa field, that one was the hardest one to get, since he could see me coming 300 yards away. The rest should be a lot easier this year.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: First Groundhog of the Season

Post by TedH »

Well done Sir! 8)
NRA Life Member
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

And using a fine rifle to boot!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That's just great Kirk, what a fine way to settle a good supper meal.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Great Job Kirk,
I hate them darn skunks,but the woodchucks I think
I have turned soft on.I have a fat one under my bicycle shed,
and everyday I whistle and he comes out stretching his paws.
He is fat and looks like a otter.I give him everyday a banana,
a apple,and a orange italian ice.
My wife somtimes says, where is my fruit to take to work????????? :oops:
Anyway all kill those skunks!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A fine evening stroll for sure. What a great gun and round to use for those critters too! 8)
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Great report Kirk, felt like I was right there with you :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

A very fine evening indeed.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Great account of a walk I wish I could have made with you!
I was a mighty woodchuck shooter in my younger days in upstate New York, but I too have gone soft. Last summer we had a pear thief chuck who cleaned us out. If he returns this year, he may find out that I'm not quite THAT soft...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

...do you EAT them...?
I have, and the meat was good.

I used to take frozen patties of "ground chuck" to college and cook them on our (non-microwave) popcorn-popper, just to bug my citified/vegetarian classmates... :mrgreen:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed May 06, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Good job!!!
ED
Yer never too old
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Awesome rifle and really nice post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Nice report, Kirk! Had to chuckle at the thought of the iPhone and Leverguns while waiting for a shot. :D
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Dang good story, so you write as well as take beautiful pictures. I enjoyed that.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Kirk, that sounds like a perfect stroll to me. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Nicely stalked, and nicely shot Kirk!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

You should try your hand at writing books for children.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

cowboykell wrote:You should try your hand at writing books for children.
There's an idea .... hunting and shooting books for children. I like the idea, but I'm afraid it might be a tough sell to get them into the libraries.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Excellent!

Last Tuesday I had three bunnies frollicking in the hay lot and two came to a similar end by .38-55.

A great way to end the day.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

alnitak wrote:Nice report, Kirk! Had to chuckle at the thought of the iPhone and Leverguns while waiting for a shot. :D
Me too. I surf while stand-hunting.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

What a great idea, using a skunk to smoke out them groundhogs! :D :D
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Shuks Kirk, you took your iphone and no camera!

Good for you Kirk :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I still want to know if anyone eats groundhog, and how you guys cook them, if you do...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

When I lived in south middle Tennessee, a couple of friends and I hunted groundhogs with Kentucky rifles. The young ones my wife would fry like rabbit, the bigger ones were cooked in the oven. That makes some great BBQ.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I don't have the stomach to eat mine. They are fat porkers and I just don't get all hungry when I see them. A few have had the mange and that really does not make me hungry.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Tumbling one of them lead bullets through m' will put you off too ! :wink:

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!