Sometimes the Bear Gets You

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Sometimes the Bear Gets You

Post by Cosmoline »

This is an old photo I was reminded of by another thread a month or so ago. From what I understand it was taken on one of the islands up here and shows what's left of a levergun in the undergrowth between what's left of a man and bear who killed each other.

Filed under "use enough gun"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sometimes the Bear Gets You

Post by Rusty »

I guess any gun will kill a bear eventually.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ouch! That left a mark... :shock:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The man chose to enter the bear's territory.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Old Savage is right.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

reminds me of hatchet jack, in jeremiah johnson.
here's the rifle kilt the bear that kilt me.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Old Savage wrote:The man chose to enter the bear's territory.
Of course, up here it's ALL the bear's territory :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I wonder who started it, ... and who finished it...

Doesn't look recent to when that live fella in the photo found it.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

In an old gunshop up here I remember seeing a cut-out of the photo with some text from a newspaper describing it. I can't remember much of the detail though, and the owner since retried so the shop is gone. I'll toss it around a local forum and see if anyone knows more.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

It would be interesting to know the rifle model and chambering. 1886.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

pokey wrote:reminds me of hatchet jack, in jeremiah johnson.
here's the rifle kilt the bear that kilt me.
+1 :D

Bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Cosmoline wrote:
Old Savage wrote:The man chose to enter the bear's territory.
Of course, up here it's ALL the bear's territory :D
+1

Bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

kewl post. thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Yep, the price is potentially very high when you enter the bruins territory.
Old Law Dawg
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

You fellers have it all wrong... This is OUR world, and we only sometimes tolerate the existence of such nasty critters as (including, but not limited to...) bears, wolves, coyotes, lions, jackals, hyenas, wolverines & left-wing wackos...

Any bear (or other of the above-named predators) that comes into MY territory had better look out for himself.

That's why God gave us the brains, the incentive, and opposable thumbs to create tools for our own defense.

Too bad the human decedent didn't make the first move, and make it count...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

"Someone back East says, Why don't he write?" :cry:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

You fellers have it all wrong... This is OUR world, and we only sometimes tolerate the existence of such nasty critters as (including, but not limited to...) bears, wolves, coyotes, lions, jackals, hyenas, wolverines & left-wing wackos.
Having lived up here for a decade, I find woods I used to hike down in Oregon, which have no brown bears anymore, to be oddly empty and uninteresting. The edge is gone, and without that edge we ourselves become dull creatures of concrete. The left wing nutcases like PETA and such are a direct result of living without the great beasts. I GUARANTEE you that if you were to take a hundred or so Alaskan brown bears and drop them off in southern California, and an equal number in the UK, the PETA types in those places would very quickly change their tune.

I think the good Lord put these animals here to remind us from time to time what life REALLY IS. And what death really is. When you see a bear rip the beating heart out of a moose in your driveway, it's difficult to maintain a Disney-type view of wildlife. It's also more difficult to want to destroy all of these magnificent creatures. Your view becomes more complex. Respect is the word for it. Respect for nature, for Creation. If you destroy all these beasts all you're left with is human-created and human-controlled. That leads directly to humanistic hubris, and to a rejection of the divine.

But maybe I've digressed too much here :D
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm guessing he was toting one of those new fangled "lightning fast" bolt guns. Certainly it wasn't an '86 ... in any caliber so chambered.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I'm guessing he was toting one of those new fangled "lightning fast" bolt guns. Certainly it wasn't an '86 ... in any caliber so chambered.
I'm thinking the dead man DID have a lever action rifle; look at the picture and you can make out the familiar receiver shape. It also appears that the live man has his fingers in a bent lever...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: Rough way to check out...... Prolly better than taking 6 months to rot out from cancer, tho :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

airedaleman wrote:
Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I'm guessing he was toting one of those new fangled "lightning fast" bolt guns. Certainly it wasn't an '86 ... in any caliber so chambered.
I'm thinking the dead man DID have a lever action rifle; look at the picture and you can make out the familiar receiver shape. It also appears that the live man has his fingers in a bent lever...
It looks to me more like his hand is user the remnamts of the wrist of the buttstock. And that piece coming out of the end of the handguard area could be a mag tube but it's broken off like it's a wood fragment. I suppose it could have rusted and broken off. I can see the trigger guard but I don't the the lever behind it. A Remington pump action perhaps? Seems like way to long and skinny of a barrel for a lever gun to me.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

In the better quality pic it was pretty clearly a Savage 99, or what was left of it.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Cosmoline wrote:In the better quality pic it was pretty clearly a Savage 99, or what was left of it.
Well that clears it up. Here I am looking for a mag tube. Now it makes more sense ... the longer skinny barrel.
PrimitiveHunter
Levergunner

Post by PrimitiveHunter »

Thats is really cool... Bad Medicine though. :shock: I hope if i ever go get cut down by a grizzly or black bear, it goes down too
Headed West. Right Outta HighSchool
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

That's one heck of a powerful picture, Thanks for posting it. I wonder if they ever found out who the guy was and the approximate time this happened?
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

game keeper wrote:"Someone back East says, Why don't he write?" :cry:

Good point GK.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Cosmoline,
I'm with you--there are too many people. I hear it all the time around here, "Too many deer, they are eating my bushes and jumping in front of my BMW." I tell 'em there's too many people and they should move back to the city. :D

As far as your story is concerned, I remember reading a story on "Old Moses", the 2000 pound Grizzly that terrorized some state back around the turn of the century. One hunter who went after him was found (well, part of his leg was all that was found) dead, along with his 1886 Winchester in .33 W.C.F.---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Sixgun wrote:Cosmoline,
I'm with you--there are too many people. I hear it all the time around here, "Too many deer, they are eating my bushes and jumping in front of my BMW." I tell 'em there's too many people and they should move back to the city. :D

As far as your story is concerned, I remember reading a story on "Old Moses", the 2000 pound Grizzly that terrorized some state back around the turn of the century. One hunter who went after him was found (well, part of his leg was all that was found) dead, along with his 1886 Winchester in .33 W.C.F.---------------Sixgun
If I remember right, I read somewhere that Old Moses finally got killed by a young man with one of those new fangled Winchester model 94 30/30's.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Lastmohecken wrote: If I remember right, I read somewhere that Old Moses finally got killed by a young man with one of those new fangled Winchester model 94 30/30's.
I don't remember much unless it concerns guns, Jeeps or huntin', but......If I remember correctly, (no disrespect intended :D )
I thought it was a 30-40 Krag in a Krag rifle.

Come on out there--anybody remember? :D

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have heard both versions, but do not know if they are the same story or two different incidents.
Catch me when I'm feeling windy and I will tell the story about the mad trapper of the Gila.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Re. the photo, it seems this was taken by a Kodiak guide, either Bill Pinnell or Morris Talifson, on a hunt where they found the bones. Probably back a few decades, no later than the 60's. It may be from the book "Last of the Great Brown Bear Men," so I'll see if I can find out more.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Mike, Good read!------------Sixgun

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Great movie and a very appt quote in this instance.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Cosmoline- I stayed in Bill Pinnell's cabin on Karluk Lake about 25 years ago with my wife and just-graduated high school age son. After 10 days of hiking the area, we would agree with you that walking in real bear country does give an "edgy-feeling" to one, especially when grass and other plants are higher than a man's head and you must stick to bear paths to move through the country. Coming onto a pile of steaming bear scat will really wake you up!

I've also spent several months camped out in remote parts of Africa where lions and spotted hyenas were present and my wife and I had no firearms--just common sense and, perhaps, good fortune. We were never bothered by these predators, but when we heard hyenas whooping or lions roaring at sundown, we always slept inside our small tent.

I appreciate these wild places and the bears (and other large predators) give the wilderness its true meaning. I hunt often and hard, but I have no need to kill these critters-especially to prove my "mastery" over nature. I suppose some of you will accuse me of being a PETA type but definitely 'taint so.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Batman1939 wrote:I appreciate these wild places and the bears (and other large predators) give the wilderness its true meaning. I hunt often and hard, but I have no need to kill these critters-especially to prove my "mastery" over nature. I suppose some of you will accuse me of being a PETA type but definitely 'taint so.
No need to be defensive.

I don't think anybody here kills things "just because" (except Mad Dog).

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I always loved that line. :lol:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

1886 wrote:It would be interesting to know the rifle model and chambering. 1886.
Yeah, I guess we KNOW the range!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I've always LOVED that line! The rest of the movie was stuff, though. The book sucked, too.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

BlaineG wrote::oops: Rough way to check out...... Prolly better than taking 6 months to rot out from cancer, tho :wink:
Hear, hear! darned if I wanna die of old age!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Lastmohecken wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Cosmoline,

If I remember right, I read somewhere that Old Moses finally got killed by a young man with one of those new fangled Winchester model 94 30/30's.

That bear must have never heard a .30-30 is "no good for large game"!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Batman1939 wrote:I appreciate these wild places and the bears (and other large predators) give the wilderness its true meaning. I hunt often and hard, but I have no need to kill these critters-especially to prove my "mastery" over nature. I suppose some of you will accuse me of being a PETA type but definitely 'taint so.
I have more fun watchin' critters than killin' em.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer