The Most Effective .22 Mouse Gun Ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

The Most Effective .22 Mouse Gun Ammo

Post by Blaine »

I have been using whatever, usually the .36gr HPs that are in Value Packs from WallyWorld.....I wonder if the Stingers or (insert your favorite here) would penetrate or otherwise be more effective in a little mousegun. I started out using Wildcat when you could still buy bricks of that almost anyplace, but I really don't see it anymore in the stores....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: The Most Effective .22 Mouse Gun Ammo

Post by Old Ironsights »

Aguila 60gr SST. Will reliably operate most Semi Autos and has DEEP penetration.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I could only get the SSTs to stabilize in one gun, my 1956 Marlin Mountie. If they won't stabilize (and they must to penetrate) try the Winchester Dynapoint. I don't see expansion from those I've used (so I convert them to SGB bullets) and they do penetrate.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

Hobie wrote:I could only get the SSTs to stabilize in one gun, my 1956 Marlin Mountie. If they won't stabilize (and they must to penetrate) try the Winchester Dynapoint. I don't see expansion from those I've used (so I convert them to SGB bullets) and they do penetrate.

I agree. Very rarely do 22 Hi-vel rounds come anywhere close to the accuracy of the standard velocity 22s. And if you can't hit the target, what good is extra penetration?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Well since he's asking about ammo for a Mouse Gun, I doubt match grade accuracy is high on the list. I remember reading an article on one shot stop statistics somewhere a while back. The highest rated 22 ammo was the CCI Stingers and Remington Yellow Jackets.
NRA Life Member
Shooter973
Levergunner

Post by Shooter973 »

I think you might be happy with some Win, Power points or Dyna points. They seem to hit harder than any other 22 ammo I've ever shot. They are tough to find but they just might be worth it to ya. :) The Power points are pretty pricey. :shock:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I got consistant one shot stops on mouses with ordinary CB caps in solid bullet form. Any body hit and they are toast, DRT.

I lived in a cabin years ago that was impossible to keep them out of. I think I shot 20-some mice there. CB's work well on pack rats too. The time in the tipi yielded a good count also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Bear 45/70

Post by Bear 45/70 »

TedH wrote:Well since he's asking about ammo for a Mouse Gun, I doubt match grade accuracy is high on the list. I remember reading an article on one shot stop statistics somewhere a while back. The highest rated 22 ammo was the CCI Stingers and Remington Yellow Jackets.

I've seen him shoot said mouse gun and he can hit a pop cans at 15 to 35 yards with it. So yes, accuracy is an important issue for him.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i use CCI mini mags out of my Casull 5 shot hideaway
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

rjohns94 wrote:i use CCI mini mags out of my Casull 5 shot hideaway

I've never heard of this one. Is it anything like the NAA revolvers?
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Out of my bearcat remington yellow jackets give the highest velocity, and second are the cci stingers. Both give about the same accuracy.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Remington Yellow Jackets and a Llama auto......................
You will live to fight another day.
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

TedH wrote:Well since he's asking about ammo for a Mouse Gun, I doubt match grade accuracy is high on the list. I remember reading an article on one shot stop statistics somewhere a while back. The highest rated 22 ammo was the CCI Stingers and Remington Yellow Jackets.
I read that article as well--at handgun velocities, the way they wound is not by expansion, but by the bullet tumbling through whatever soft organs are in its' way (in a two-legged varmint). I suppose that the new CCI Quik-Shoks would fragment even at mousegun velocities.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Overall, the most effective .22LR in all my .22s across the board is the 40gr Winchester Super X Power Point XP HP.
ED
Yer never too old
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

SmokeEater, here is a picture of one. I love the retractable trigger. Its double action only and I carry it in NAA pocket holster that has room for extra rounds in a side pocket. It does not print as a firearm in my rear pocket while in this holster.

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Thanks for the pic rjohns. I thought I kept up with all types of guns fairly well but apparently not. :oops: That is a neat looking little revolver!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

your welcome. I don't see them all too often. Pretty nifty little piece. I like it better than the NAA mini's I have owned because of the double action feature.
Mike Johnson,

Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

Old Ironsights wrote:Aguila 60gr SST. Will reliably operate most Semi Autos and has DEEP penetration.
The only rifle I own that will stabilize them is an old Remington Nylon 66. I don't know why as it has a 1 in 16" twist rate, but it does. And the 60 grain bullets penetrate like gangbusters.