Another old sweetie

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Another old sweetie

Post by Wind »

Well boys, seems almost everyone is posting pix of newly acquired firearms. This 1893 Marlin, built in 1896, showed up on my

doorstep this last weekend. What a sweetie. No rust or pitting, and a shiny bore with strong rifling. Caliber 32-40. Sure wish it

could talk and tell me where it's been and what it's seen. It came with a partial box of empties and one live round. Need to get

some dies and brass. I hate not knowing how it shoots. I'll prolly end up standing on a freeway entrance somewhere with a

sign "Will work for 32-40 brass" soon. Watch yer top knots. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Another old sweetie

Post by pokey »

just showed up on your doorstep, huh?
i keep waiting for a winnie like that to show up on MY doorstep,
good thing i'm not holding my breath.

pretty nice, for a marlin.

congrats, pokey
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

That's a classy looking rifle Wind, Congratulations! Those Marlin 93's are sleek and business-like at the same time. Good luck on Your hunt for brass, Few things are as terrible as acquiring a new/old rifle and not being able to shoot it.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

What a beauty! Sweet rifle. If only they could talk, sit around the fire and tell us where they have been!

The only time a rifle ever showed up on my doorstep it was attached to the father of a girl I was dating. Not good. the only view I had was down the business end. But that is another story!

:D
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice orphan :mrgreen: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Looks like a fine old classic Marlin. Congratulations!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I've been waiting for five months for some 32-40 brass and winchester keeps pushing back the date. I started reforming 38-55 brass for my 1894 Winnie. I'm finnaly going to be able to shoot her this weekend. :D
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Beautiful old rifle, why don't they make them look like that these days, why's everyone lost the plot these days, as you said if she could only talk.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

1886 too many people are interested in high speeds and all weather stocks. But these old guns have seen more weather than 99.9 percent of the new ones and they held up. I would rather see a good piece of wood any day. Can't figure it out either, but I quess I'm to old fashioned.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Hondo, I with you 100%. What did these old sourdoughs use from the mountainmen to Alaska, before stainless and laminates Those guns served them well, and have me too. Nothing like blued carbon steel and a purdy chunk of wood.

:D
PrimitiveHunter
Levergunner

Post by PrimitiveHunter »

Exactly pathfinder. these guns and even the more primitive flintlocks and cappers do fine at taking game. beautiful rifle brother and you watch yourn's (topknot)
Headed West. Right Outta HighSchool
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey ya'll - Thanks for the nice thoughts. Being as how the nearest freeway entrance is close to three hours away, decided to fly the

credit card intead. For those in Western Washington, if you don't know of Kesselrings gun shop up near Bellingham (actually Alger),

you should. They had the Winchester unprimed brass in stock. Midway USA had the RCBS Cowboy dies. For those just getting into

reloading cast bullets, using a correct case expander die between sizing and seating will make your life easier, and produce better

ammunition. Went the rest of the way and ordered some 170 grain, round nose, flat point cast bullets from Laser-Cast. Hopefully

will be able to assemble some "cat-trig-ez" next week and we'll see how the old girl shoots. Yes indeed! Blue steel and Walnut.

The old pride in workmanship. A product built to last longer than you will. Marlin or Winchester, ya gotta love them... Wind
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Now that is NICE :D :D :D
I have an old Marlin 1889 made in 1892 and it has the slickest action and the best wood to metal fit of all my Marlins :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Cool. Nice gun.
ED
Yer never too old
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Wind wrote:Well boys, seems almost everyone is posting pix of newly acquired firearms. This 1893 Marlin, built in 1896, showed up on my

doorstep this last weekend. What a sweetie. No rust or pitting, and a shiny bore with strong rifling. Caliber 32-40. Sure wish it

could talk and tell me where it's been and what it's seen. It came with a partial box of empties and one live round. Need to get

some dies and brass. I hate not knowing how it shoots. I'll prolly end up standing on a freeway entrance somewhere with a

sign "Will work for 32-40 brass" soon. Watch yer top knots. Wind

Nice!
When I first got my 32/40 1893 I used 30/30 brass for awhile. I used a Lee sizing die to form them, The Lee die has an expander ball on the decapper, I dont think the RCBS expander would do it in one step but the Lee did. Then I used the RCBS cowboy dies to build the ammo. The brass was short but worked just fine.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Boy I wish I had your doorstep! :mrgreen:
Awesome old beauty.nothing like em.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

winchester1886 wrote:Beautiful old rifle, why don't they make them look like that these days, why's everyone lost the plot these days, as you said if she could only talk.
+ 1 :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

That's certainly one sweet lookin' old Marlin. I hope it shoots as good as it looks because it looks great.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Beautiful old Marlin, I bet she shoots great!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

You're a lucky man, Wind. Nice looking rifle. I've been to Kesselrings more than once. I get lost looking in the rafters at all the nice ole Winnie's that I can't afford.

Edit: They used to have a website. I haven't looked at it for many a year.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very Sweet. I wish you years of enjoyment
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Beautiful gun Wind! Now when you get a good load set, you and Geoff can dominate the shoots with old 1893's!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/