45 Colt Brass

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

45 Colt Brass

Post by hondo1892 »

Has any one used magtech brass before? It was the only kind I could find in stock, so I ordered a couple hundred pieces. Would rather have win.,rem or starline but pickens are slim. Also does any one know of a good lube for reforming brass. I've been using lyman sizing lube and geting oil dents when I use enough to keep the brass from getting stuck.
Hobie

Re: 45 Colt Brass

Post by Hobie »

I've used the RCBS products. However, I use a carbide die set with the .45 Colt, no problems. One of the big advantages!

I've shot some loads on Magtech brass (I think somebody provides them brass on contract) without problems. Now you've got it it is too late to ask anyway. You'll get to see for yourself!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Sorry about the lube question, I was'nt clear. The lube question is about reforming 38-55 to 32-40. Can't find any 32-40 at a price I'm willing to pay.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

hondo,

I've got some of the MagTech brass. I've loaded it a couple times and have found no strength, or durability problems with it.
The only thing is that real deep cannelure they put on it. If your bullet sets lower in the case you might run into some seating troubles. I haven't yet, but I normally use Keith bullets that don't set as deep into the cases as others do.

I've been using the Hornady Unique sizing lube for a long time now. It works great on normal sizing, but I've never done any case forming with it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

hondo1892 wrote:Sorry about the lube question, I was'nt clear. The lube question is about reforming 38-55 to 32-40. Can't find any 32-40 at a price I'm willing to pay.
That's a conumdrum, ain't it? I use RCBS case lube pads when forming my .40-90SBN cases from .45Basic brass. I had to develop a technique that would allow me to "feel" how much tension was being felt and remaining on the "ragged edge" between enough and not enough lube to just get the job done. As you say, too much lube and dents... too little, a stuck case. Believe me... the dents are easy enough to live with! :P

Oh yea... Magtech brass: I have some that I've been handed at the range as "mine" after shooting a stage... (cowboy action), and since I don't inspect it at the range, I do it at home. I've gone ahead and reloaded it. Have encountered NO problems. Seems as durable as any other brand. Over the years I've loaded and reloaded it several times... again, couldn't tell any difference between it and other brands. It seems somewhat softer and thinner than Starline, but not quite as soft as Remington, nor as thin as Winchester.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

hondo1892 wrote:Sorry about the lube question, I was'nt clear. The lube question is about reforming 38-55 to 32-40. Can't find any 32-40 at a price I'm willing to pay.
So, how much are willing to pay? But, you'll put time AND money into forming the .38-55s? I don't get it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Hobbie I'm using my 32-40 sizing die to reshape the 38-55's so no extra in dies. I'm not willing to pay a buck or more per piece of brass. I'll have a few reformed 38-55s til winchester makes another run of there 32-40s. Although I will be paying that kind of money for my 45-60 from Jamison. But then there isn't any other company producing them for $.50 like Winchester is the 32-40
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Never used the Magtech brass. Hate scrapline (aka starline) . Have great respect for Winchester, Remington , and Federal.

For resizing, and case forming alike I have really come to like the Hornady unique paste lube. A little bit goes a long way, and the stuff is super slick.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie wrote:
So, how much are willing to pay? But, you'll put time AND money into forming the .38-55s? I don't get it.
NOW, Hobie... there IS a $22/500 difference in price at Midway! If they had any in stock. It's been awhile since I saw any .32-40 brass, so forming may make sense.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

IMHO, brass is brass, where handguns are concerned. I've shot a LOT with the same brass, heavy and target loads both, and seem to get the same brass wear regardless of brand, pressure, whatever.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Don McDowell wrote:Never used the Magtech brass. Hate scrapline (aka starline) . Have great respect for Winchester, Remington , and Federal.

For resizing, and case forming alike I have really come to like the Hornady unique paste lube. A little bit goes a long way, and the stuff is super slick.

what problems did You have with the Starline if You don't mind me asking? I've had better luck luck with their brass in my Sharps than any others so far. Maybe I got lucky and got a really good batch or something,if so I'm gonna' baby these and try to make 'em last.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

SmokeEater2 wrote:[

what problems did You have with the Starline if You don't mind me asking? I've had better luck luck with their brass in my Sharps than any others so far. Maybe I got lucky and got a really good batch or something,if so I'm gonna' baby these and try to make 'em last.
All of the handgun brass I've tried (32 hr, 41mag,44spec and mag, and 45 colt) All seem to be to hard. Have not been able to get the accuracy from it I do from other brands in the handguns.

In the rifle, the 40-65 brass is just junk. Some needs annealed, some doesn't, and that's all from the same box. I also find something repugnent about being able to see and feel the case head web from the outside, and especially from brass that costed a buck a throw several years ago. :x
45-90 brass is ok , not as good as trimmed down Norma, but again you're in the same boat as the 40-65 if you want the proper headstamp.
When I was forming 43 Egyptian from 50-70 the number of lost cases due to neck splits was pretty high.
Other than that tho its pretty good stuff. :)
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I haven't use magtech brass so I can't comment on that.

I ran into a problem when I was forming 45-70 Starline brass to 40-60WCF brass. I kept getting what I thought were lube dents. I was real careful about not doing it all at once. I would even take the partially sized case out to wipe and relube. Lots of "lube" dents.

Then I did something stupid, I just ran the case into the die all at once just like I do resizing. OOPS :o , Hmm, no lube dents, no problems with collapsed cases, worked fine and it didn't even seem as hard on the press. I did it again, no "lube" dents. Tried it my old timid way, lots of lube dents.

I think I figured it out, the short sizing was workhardening the brass on the short steps. Then the final step was denting the no longer soft brass. If you do it all at once, the case isn't work hardened till it's done.

I was using the RCBS lube and pad. Call me old fashioned but it's worked for 30 years with only one stuck case and that's because I got distracted. Grabbed one out of the unlubed bucket instead of off my lube pad :oops: .
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

I am forming 32-40 from 38-55 at the moment. I use Hornady case lube and take it carefully, but in one action. Has worked well for me.

32-40 cases are not available here at the moment.

Tried making some from 30-30 brass and that was OK but the cases ended up about 2mm short.

Pop.
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

Try Imperial Sizing Wax. I get mine from Graf & Sons. www.grafs.com
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree, Imperial is all I use now. I have several other pads,sprays,etc. ,setting awaiting the day I clean out the junk and just throw them away. :D

Another nice thing about Imperial Die Wax is that those nasty black carbon rings many loads get in the neck area are gone when you wipe the Imperial off the case after sizing. something in it cuts carbon. I have been thinking of using/trying it as a bore cleaner. :? :D :?
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Tue May 19, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Brian in FL wrote:Try Imperial Sizing Wax. I get mine from Graf & Sons. http://www.grafs.com

+1 you can get it any where with lots of reloading stuff.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks guys, I think I'll try some of the Imperial wax and running the cas all at once. Maybe that will take care of the problems I'm having. I'll post how I feel about the magtech brass when I get it and load some rounds.