Three Levers at the NRA Convention

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Three Levers at the NRA Convention

Post by Idiot »

Please allow me to make these observations. My wife and I visited the NRA convention exhibit hall last Sunday. I don't particularly care for crowds so we went through the hall pretty fast and only stopped at product booths I'd penciled out before arriving. In particular, I wanted to see a M92 Rossi in EMF, a M92 Armi in Taylor & Co., and the new Marlin Ultimate Guide Gun. I wanted to look at each up close, handle them, and compare them within a few minutes of each other. I was able to do just it. And here are my observations.

The Taylor M92 Carbine (blue) is a beautiful gun at first glance. The metal is well polished and the wood has a nice oil type finish. However, upon close inspection, it is clear that it suffers from the same wood to metal fit flaws that plague the Rossis - albeit to a lessor degree. Most of the wood fit fairly well against the receiver, but the butt plate still hung over hung the wood stock by a 1/16 of an inch and sunlight still crept between the bottom inch of the butt plate and the wood. Upon handling the carbine and working the action I found that there were no stiff spots, but the action was still a bit rough throughout. Finally, it was nice to see an M92 without an extra safety attached any where. I thought is was a good carbine and one I would own, but was disappointed in the wood to metal fit and the rougher than expected action.

I looked at two EMF Rossis, a blue carbine and a stainless steel trapper. The blue carbine was flat ugly compared to the Taylor. The metal was not as well polished and blued and the wood to metal fit was pretty bad (more than 1/16 of an inch of butt plate hung over the wood and one could easily fit a match book cover between the butt plate in stock in this area - in addition, the wood to receiver fit was awful with more than a 1/16 of an inch gap between the wood and metal in this area). And maybe it's just me, but the wood used for the stock kinda of creepy - it wanted you to think it was walnut, but it wasn't, and it was too over done for you to believe it was hardwood - kind of like a Chuck Norris' face after his cosmetic surgery - it kind of looks like Chuck, but also like something else, and why doesn't it move when he talks - it's just kind of creepy. When I worked the action it was pure Rossi - someone forgot to either remove the sand from the castings or the metal shaving from the machining - it was rough and spotty. I'm not sure I would want to own this carbine.

BUT WAIT, the stainless steel trapper was another story all together. Even though it used the same creepy wood, the wood to metal fit rivaled the Taylor. The metal was polished fairly well and the action worked similar to the Taylor and far better than the blued Rossi carbine. BUT WHO CARES! This trapper was so light, handy and business like, I'd own it even it were dinged up and the stock was made of rubber. This little gun is pure peaches. Anyway, it was well made, well put together, and I don't care if it has a safety where it shouldn't, it is a tool worth owning.

Now, objectively, between these three I'll say this; the Rossi stainless trapper was the pick of the bunch and half the cost of the Taylor. Next came the Taylor, but at twice the cost of the blued Rossi Carbine, I think I'd pass. Oh BTW, neither the Taylor representative or the EMF representative knew much about their product. Every one of my questions were answered with "the cowboy action guys use this gun, so it must be great." And at one point the EMF representative asked me what the advantage of stainless steel was over blued steel. She thought is was cosmetic only.

Now on to the best. I've read everything I've been able to gather on Marlin's Ultimate Guide Gun and have acquired a real bad case of "I wants" for this gun. But seeing it in the flesh and holding and working the rifle's action has sealed the deal. This is an attractive "all business" levergun. The plywood stock fits right and fits the metal right, the metal is well polished and fits tight, the action is smooth and positive, and it handles like a carbine ought too - quick and on sight. None of the Rossis or the Taylors deserve to even occupy the same gun safe as this carbine (that's an exaggerated figure of speech to make my point, not reality). It is a nearly perfect big bore hunting tool. I must acquire one of these before Marlin decides to discontinue it or ruin it with some improvement. Once it's topped with an AimPoint red dot sight, it will be perfect.

So let me sum it up by saying that even though Rossi and Taylor are trying, they are still not in the same league as Marlin. However, they do make a serviceable product, and that short handy stainless steel EMF model is certainly on my list of must haves. As far as Marlin's Ultimate Guide Gun goes, I've not been as excited about a firearm since the Colt King Cobra came out over twenty years ago (I received one for my birthday and it was the most miserable weapon I have ever owned) and I'd sure like to get one.

Well those are the worthless observations of an Idiot.

P.S. I also wanted to see the Taurus M92, but was too excited about the Marlin and forgot all about it. And, Ted Nugent gave a great inspirational talk and blasted out our National Anthem with full vigor that still has my ears ringing.
Last edited by Idiot on Tue May 19, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Three Levers at the NRA Convention

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Excuse me but did You say that the Marlin has a Plywood stock? :shock:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

SmokeEater2 wrote:Excuse me but did You say that the Marlin has a Plywood stock? :shock:
Laminated wood... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Hobie wrote:
SmokeEater2 wrote:Excuse me but did You say that the Marlin has a Plywood stock? :shock:
Laminated wood... :wink:

AAAHH, I see. Thanks Hobie, I darn near passed out at the thought of a Plywood stock on a levergun. :oops:
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Plywood stocks are from China! :shock:
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Pathfinder09 wrote:Plywood stocks are from China! :shock:

CHINA?! :o :shock: :cry:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Idiot wrote:The plywood stock fits right and fits the metal right, the metal is well polished and fits tight, the action is smooth and positive, and it handles like a carbine ought too - quick and on sight.
"...plywood stock..." :lol: :lol:

They are actually pretty nice, at least on the XLR's...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Okay let me start off by saying I have never cared for ANY of the Winchester remakes regardless of who made them , so that pretty much kills the two clones you speak of for me .

Now for the Marlin ! While I have a taste for Marlin products and do like the XLR's I do not care for the new style Guide Gun with the BIG LOOP LEVER and the Scout Scope Mount !

But if that is what a person likes so be it as I am not the one paying the bill !

Back to the Marlin , if they put a regular lever and ditched the Scout Mount I could very well live with that one just fine :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

6pt-sika wrote:Okay let me start off by saying I have never cared for ANY of the Winchester remakes regardless of who made them , so that pretty much kills the two clones you speak of for me .

Now for the Marlin ! While I have a taste for Marlin products and do like the XLR's I do not care for the new style Guide Gun with the BIG LOOP LEVER and the Scout Scope Mount !

But if that is what a person likes so be it as I am not the one paying the bill !

Back to the Marlin , if they put a regular lever and ditched the Scout Mount I could very well live with that one just fine :wink:
Dont know if you remember ORhunter over on MO 6PT but thats the gun that came of the poll he did awhile back. He's not with Marlin anymore but the powers that be took his idea & ran with it.
I wont be buying one but think its pretty cool how it came about. I lean about 180 degrees the other way myself.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Chuck Norris has plastic surgery? :roll:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Leverdude wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Okay let me start off by saying I have never cared for ANY of the Winchester remakes regardless of who made them , so that pretty much kills the two clones you speak of for me .

Dont know if you remember ORhunter over on MO 6PT but thats the gun that came of the poll he did awhile back. He's not with Marlin anymore but the powers that be took his idea & ran with it.
I wont be buying one but think its pretty cool how it came about. I lean about 180 degrees the other way myself.

Ken , I remmember him doing that over there and when he posted the original pics of this pretty much exact rifle !

I told them then that I didn't care for the Big Loop Lever or the Scout Mount but the rest was fine ! I think he also wanted to make it available in 444 and 450 as well !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

I can never understand anyone even contemplating any of the 92 clones when you can still buy a good original Winchester 92 for not that much money, I know they are more expensive then the clones, but you are buying the clones to shoot and a good 92 shooter is not that expensive, just check how well made an old Winchester is, the wood to metal fit and so on nothing compares not even the Brownings as well made as they are, an old Winchester for me every time. And you are carrying the real thing.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Thanks for the report!

Chad
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

chadbr wrote:Thanks for the report! Chad
You are welcome.
BTW, I like the lumber they use on the new Marlin. Laminated wood is solid, warp resistant, strong, nearly indestructible, and can come in nearly any color - this one's gray and black with a hint of green (sounds like a wine commercial).

As far as M92 clones are concerned; I've warmed up to them because of their use of modern steel and heat treatment (they are stronger), and the fact that they are chambered in handgun cartridges I use. I've had a number of original Winchesters slide through my hands during a time when they were as plentiful as Hire's Root Beer, so I know their quality. But, the ones I had were beat to death and very tired and are now being offered for a lot of money - too much money in my opinion. So I'll go with a clone to shoot and stick with the original to remember. But I understand the sentiment toward the originals and against the clones. I'm not that far removed from it.

As far as the new Marlin is concerned. There is nothing about it that I don't like. There is nothing a 45/70 Govt can't kill. And there is no better plinking round on the planet - an afternoon of turning cement blocks into gravel and dust cannot be beat - period. Add to that a pistol grip rear stock for comfortable purchase, a thick recoil pad to take up the shock of full +P+ loads, an oversized oval lever for gloved hands (not the joke of an oversized round lever to feel like Rooster), stainless steel for easy maintenance, a short barrel for easy handling and truck escape, a camo plywood stock for durability and stealth, good sights right out the door with a long weaver style picatinny base for mounting any kind of sighting system your heart desires, and a thousand years of Marlin know how and dependability to back it up. I like it. I should add though that I've got a slew of traditional levers to fill that fancy - and I'm a sucker for good work tools - and I think this Marlin is a good work tool.

Well guys, thanks for the responses.
Cosmoline
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cosmoline »

Thanks for the insights!
I do not care for the new style Guide Gun with the BIG LOOP LEVER and the Scout Scope Mount !
Marlin is clearly trying to copy some of the custom 1895's that have been built in the past decade, esp. from Wild West. I don't really care for it, either. The big loops slow down cycling and the scope is just something else to go wrong.

My dream big bore levergun would have a safari-style flip sight with three leafs matched to a quality front iron that wouldn't be injured in a fall. It would be straight stock with a nice balance.