45 Colt load

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
aussie
Levergunner 2.0

45 Colt load

Post by aussie »

Fellas, I know that this has been done to death, but the powder you guys are stating for loads just isn't available where I am. Having said that, I believe that ADI AP70N , which is available here, since it's made here, is the equivalent of Unique or Universal. So, what would you guys be using in either of these two powders. Cast RNFP 250gn Winchester Legacy 94 model with a 24" barrel. I realise I will need to work up loads, just wondering where to start and how hot I can go. I would like to hunt with this rifle, mostly deer.
Hobie

Re: 45 Colt load

Post by Hobie »

In .45 Colt for Colt SA safe loads I use 8-9 gr. under a 255-280 gr. bullet. Start low and work up.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm right with Hobie. I use 7.8 grs. of Unique under a 250-255 grn. LRNFP bullet in my Colt SAA's and Marlin Cowboy. With a good crimp the powder burns pretty clean and I can stack'em in my Marlin.
Old Law Dawg
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well I wish I could follow my contrarian instincts and say something different. But I can't, somewhere between 7 and 9 grs of the powder you have available should just be the ticket.
Myself I've tried alot of other stuff, and achieved good results, but where the rubber hits the road, and things are serious, 9 grs of unique goes in the case under about any bullet between 250-270 grs of unique around here.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

aussie,

According to ADI's reloading data for the .45 Colt 7.8grs with a 250gr lead bullet is max.
250 Lead RNFP AP70N 7.25" 6.5 742 9200 cup 7.8 941 13000 cup

However in their Single Action Pistol Data section they show 8.0grs as the starting load and 8.5grs as the max load.
255 Lead SWC AP70N 7" 8.0 825 10300 psi 8.5 905 13100 psi

All the data is under this link: http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/pistol.asp
You just have to navigate to what you want.

What this tells me is that AP70N is very Unique like in it's flexibility and going to 9.0grs with the 265 to 270gr bullets should be doable. You'll pass the max end of SAAMI specs doing it but in your Winchester this should be no problem.

http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

G'day Aussie,

My Marlin '94CBLtd 24" .45 Colt shoots best using a .454" coated 250gn RNFP(Hawksbury then Westcasting) over 10.0gr AP70N(8.5-10.0) and a Fed LP primer with a heavy crimp..... a 2" group off sandbags at 50yds.

By the way..... AP70N 'IS' Universal rebottled & sold by Hodgdon in the US.
If you'd like to know which other ADI powders Hodgdon use PM me. :)

Mucus
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Looks like you got plenty of good loads from folks but I'll just add mine anyway. I load for a 1957 Colt SAA and a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt. Years ago I settled on 7.8 gr. of Unique because it is so accurate in my pistol, and shoot great in the carbine.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

G'Day aussie!, you'll have more than enough knock-down power for Roo-sized, (what we on top here call deer-sized) animals. I'd guess you'll get 200-300 more fps than the same load shot out of a 7-1/2" revolver. But if you want to make the most of your 24" barrel & the rifle's ability to withstand 45,000 psi pressures, you'll just have to go to a slower powder. jd45