Ruger 44 Speial Flat Top at the Range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger 44 Speial Flat Top at the Range

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well got out to the range today for a little session. The new Ruger .44 Special was the main reason for the trip along with the keith bullet loads that I made up.

The Ruger shot great! Even though I didn't use enough lube on the bullets and they leaded the barrel, it was printing nice groups at 25 yards - I was shooting off-hand and getting about 4-6" groups. That's about what I can do off-hand these days.

I used to be able to shoot my pistols a lot better - seems my hands don't want to hold still any more... its a booger getting older. :(

The trigger is fine - the best I've ever experienced with an out of the box Ruger BH. The grips on this are much too thin for my liking. I'm going to order some thicker grip panels for it - I really like the apearance of the ones that came on it but they are just too small even for my medium-sized hands and the checkering wears on your skin with the warmer loads. So some nice smooth thicker XR3 grips will go on it.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ruger 44 Speial Flat Top at the Range

Post by Lefty Dude »

You need to break in that new barrel with jacketed ammo. Then clean it well with JB bore paste. A new barrel has minute rough edges in the land & grooves that need to be burnished before you shoot lead. It will continue to lead till it gets broken-in. About 20-30 round should do the trick.

I had to do the same with my New Colts from the Custom shop last year.

Believe me it do make a difference. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I believe you. Brian Pearce mentioned loading up some XTP's with H110 and shooting them to season the bore - 100 rounds in fact. I'll do that too (after my new grips arrive - I ended up ordering some rosewood grips from Ruger).

Thanks for reminding me about that!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

O.S.O.K.,

My suggestion is to fill the lube groves of those Keith bullets with lube. Lee LA is OK but in my opinion you need more lube than it provides. Especially in a new barrel.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

When I bought my brace of Vaqueros (357) they leaded a bit at first. Cleaned them and went to work on each one with some JB compound, about 10 min each barrel. Next trip to the range brought no leading.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Where are the pictures!

I agree with you on the getting older part. I spent most of the day Saturday building a swingset for the kids - mostly my little girl, though I'm sure Y2K will use it from time to time. Both kids "helped" me. However, hauling 4x4x10's, a 4x6x10 and four 80-pound bags of concrete down a hill to the place it was going to be was no picnic on my back. I hate getting old, but it is better than the alternative!
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I've only put about 20 rounds through my new .44 special Flattop, but I didn't notice any leading to speak of. I was shooting Mt. Baldy 250 grain Keith slugs over 7.5 grains of Unique. I need to shoot some paper with it, but it was tin can accurate at ten paces. So far, I'm happy with it.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Ysabel Kid wrote: I hate getting old, but it is better than the alternative!
The older I get, the less I believe that. IF you've truly gone out and LIVED a manly life, chances are, you're better off not living past your mid 30's. After that, you're wife's old, you're crippled, and passing up a bathroom is a gamble.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Travis Morgan wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote: I hate getting old, but it is better than the alternative!
The older I get, the less I believe that. IF you've truly gone out and LIVED a manly life, chances are, you're better off not living past your mid 30's. After that, you're wife's old, you're crippled, and passing up a bathroom is a gamble.
That last part sure is the truth.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Time is a one-way street. :cry:
Last edited by JustaJeepGuy on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

I hope that you got the gun in time to go to the range this last weekend. I'm glad you like it. Se ya.