OT - New to me Blackhawk

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

OT - New to me Blackhawk

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Shot my recently traded for Blackhawk for the first time this morning. It's a 45LC/45ACP convertible that a coworker had. The cylinder is SS and was given to me by someone on this forum, but I don't remember who. The throats on the SS cylinder seem to be cleaner than the factory cylinder, so I decided to shoot it instead.

This is the first 45 Colt I've ever had. I've got a SBH in .44 mag, but I wasn't sure what to expect. I loaded up some 250gr. XTP's over 23gr. of Lil'Gun according to info I had. That was pretty punchy...! :shock: I know some of you fellas load them big 300gr+ bullets, but I'm a wuss. My pistol shooting is sub par and I want something to hunt with up close. This load is way more than what I need. When I could do my part and not flinch, it seemed to throw a cylinder full in the 3"-4" range at about 25 yards. The gallon paint can was definitely dead.

Don't know what speed it's running yet, but it's enough to turn those XTP's inside out, picture perfect.

Also, is it just me, or does the trigger guard whap your knuckles when you shoot? Am I gripping these things correctly? I have a Super Blackhawk Bisley that wraps my knuckles too. If I'm not wearing a glove, it starts hurting after about the 3rd shot. I know, I'm a sissy, but I'm not afraid to ask, am I doing something wrong?

All in all, I think it will be fun to shoot. Especially with some 45 ACP ball stuff for plinking.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - New to me Blackhawk

Post by Lefty Dude »

Grab-a hold of that piece with two hands real tight, and Whistle Dixie when ya touch her off.
And when it bucks and snorts, let out the Rebel Yell. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

John Taffin says it raps his finger, too.

You don't need to load them big boys so hot. I do in the rifle! Not in my revolvers.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Hobie wrote:John Taffin says it raps his finger, too.
Well, at least I'm in good company.. :D

I'm looking to get 950-1000 fps out of these 250gr. XTP's That ought to be deer worthy out to as far as I'll shoot. Any ideas? Pistol powder I have available is H-110, Lil'Gun and Bluedot.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

deerwhacker444,I roll my pinkie finger of my trigger hand under the butt to prevent knuckle rapp'n by the trigger guard.Nice wheel gun a Pinto 8).(Some ruger owners remove the black paint from the rodhousing and gripframe thus with the "white" stainless cylinder a Pinto is born).
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Congrats on entering the world of .45's. That's a fine pistol you got there. As for loads, I would try the h110 since you already have some. Most of the .45lc that I load I do with 2400 now, I seem to get a little better accuracy than the H110. For some reason it is the converse in the 44mag, I consistently get better accuracy with the h110.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
mousegun
Levergunner

Post by mousegun »

deerwhacker444 wrote:
Hobie wrote:John Taffin says it raps his finger, too.
Well, at least I'm in good company.. :D

I'm looking to get 950-1000 fps out of these 250gr. XTP's That ought to be deer worthy out to as far as I'll shoot. Any ideas? Pistol powder I have available is H-110, Lil'Gun and Bluedot.
You probably already know this since you have a 44Mag, but light loads of H110 in big cases are problematical. Hodgdon recommends not going more than 3% below maximum listed loads because the velocity performance becomes erratic. Doesn't sound like H-110 will give you the velocity levels with accuracy you want.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

23 grains of Lil Gun is pushing that 250 XTP past 1300 fps - probably 1325. That will certainly do in any whitetail out there - out to 150 yards or more. It sounds like its more than you really want or need.

I'd suggest going with 9.5 Grains of Unique for 1000 fps +/-. This will be much more pleasant to shoot, be easier to place where you want it and will kill the deer dead as nails out to 100 yards or more.

Put that under a Keith bullet of 250-270 grains and you will really have a honey of a load.

IMHO.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!