Marlin 357 1894 Cowboy Limited

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Marlin 357 1894 Cowboy Limited

Post by Old Savage »

Who has one, how do you like it, what shoots well in it?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I had one, brother traded me out of it, it would feed and chamber anything including CCI snakeshot. It was the 24 inch version. I looked at a 20 incher today but could'nt part with the 650 they wanted for it.
Ricky

DWWC
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Just curious.... does that carbine have the safety or not? I couldn't tell from the pics posted in the Classified section......
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

All Marlin lever guns from around 82 or so on have the C.B. safety.

At least it's not as ugly as Winchesters version.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Thanks, Joe. I know that all the CB models I've ever seen have them, I just wasn't sure when they started producing CB limited editions... thought maybe this was safety-free from the pic, and therefore an old/early version......
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Gihon
Levergunner

Post by Gihon »

I've got the 24" model and like it pretty well. For jacketed bullets, it seems to have a preference for Hornady XTP's. For lead bullets it shoots Lyman 358156 gas check bullets pretty well. You have to be careful of your cartridge oal on heavier bullets such as a Keith style lead or the Remington 180 grain SJHP as they will not feed properly.

My 24" Win. Legacy is not as sensitive to cartridge length and has had no problems with any bullet that I have loaded for it. They are both equally fine rifles.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I got the 20" oct. barrel and I love it. Its an absolute hoot to shoot with either factory ammo or handloads although handloads took a bit of trial and error to find one it liked. Its a beautifully balanced rifle and I dont think I'd be unhappy if it was the only gun left in my safe. The crossbolt safety is really quite inconspicuous and you dont have to use it if you don't want to. With my handloads shooting from the bench with open sights and my 48 year old eyes I can shoot 2.5" groups at 100, with a scope,who knows?
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And, what handload did you find that it likes?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I had one, but traded it off before I ever shot it :D

I also have an 1894c (pre safety) and it shoots American Eagle 158 JSP's as well as any of my handloads. It also shoots Hornady 180 XTPs into nice groups, using H108 powder. (non cannister grade powder, similar to H110 but slightly faster)

I was planning to shoot cast bullets in the Cowboy, but decided to stick with jacketed pills for the .357s (I have several) and leave the cast bullets for the big bores.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Warhawk - I also have an 1894 Pre Safety thanks for the tip on the ammo. I will try it in both.

BTW a heavy 45 slug at 1400 fps ought to solve your hog problem.