Winchester 94's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester 94's

Post by morgan in nm »

Since I had some time off today, I thought I would share a picture of my carbines. Dont mind my reloading bench as its kinda messy.
I dont know why the stocks came out so red. I think my camera is on its way out. :roll:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94's

Post by Old Time Hunter »

That's a good start there Morgan!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

94's must be your favorite lever! :wink:
"That'll Be The Day"
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Have you ever considered getting a Marlin or two? :lol: JK Nice collection there! And if you think that bench is messed up, well please don't look at mine :oops:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

cool, my favorite as well.
i especially like the one on the far left, leaning on your press.

nice set, pokey
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Very nice set :mrgreen:

BTW, Your bench is cleaner than mine right now, at least you can see the top on yours. :wink:
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

pokey wrote:cool, my favorite as well.

nice set, pokey
Thanks, that one was made in 1914 and supposedly used effectively in a range war over sheep and cattle here in NM in the 20's. It has 3 notches carved into it(I don't know what they mean.)

All but 3 of these are pre-64's. The one with the light wood was made in 67, another in 65, and 1 in the seventies. The 94 is not really my absolute favorite but they were more plentiful in my area. I also have 92's. I really need a marlin or two but around here they are scarce. My favorite design would have to be the 86 but currently, I don't have an original. I also have some 94 rifles but these are just my carbines.

btw, this is just my cartridge bench, there is another to the right that is for casting and shotgun reloading.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Love it!!!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

morgan in nm wrote:
pokey wrote:cool, my favorite as well.

nice set, pokey
Thanks, that one was made in 1914 and supposedly used effectively in a range war over sheep and cattle here in NM in the 20's. It has 3 notches carved into it(I don't know what they mean.)

All but 3 of these are pre-64's. The one with the light wood was made in 67, another in 65, and 1 in the seventies. The 94 is not really my absolute favorite but they were more plentiful in my area. I also have 92's. I really need a marlin or two but around here they are scarce. My favorite design would have to be the 86 but currently, I don't have an original. I also have some 94 rifles but these are just my carbines.

btw, this is just my cartridge bench, there is another to the right that is for casting and shotgun reloading.

i agree, the 1886 is a superior design for more powerful cartridges. the problem is they are alot heavier, for
most shooting chores around here the 30-30/38-55/32spec/25-35 is plenty of horse power, and much nicer
to carry. now the 1892 is also mighty nice, but when i was buying the price was 2 to 3 times what i could
buy a nice '94 for. as a result of economy and utility i came to respect and admire the 1894 design. the old
saw about what to keep if somehow allowed only one firearm comes around here fairly regularly, i think you
could not do much better than a '94 in 30-30. an opinion, that and 1.50 will get you a cup of coffee if you
go someplace cheap.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have some 94's but nothing like that. They sure are nice to look at and hold, they do feel good under your leg in a scabbard too.Like 'Ol pokey said that left carbine can tell some tails by the looks of it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

I've only got two 94s, one from 1954 that I'm about to put a side mounted scope on and one from 1972 that has a Williams 5D on it that I'm about to replace with an FP. I love them both, but I've been infected with Marlinitis.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

calibers?
nice collection!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

RIHMFIRE wrote:calibers?
nice collection!
25-35, 30-30, and 32 spec. I have rifles in 38-55 but no carbines. I don't own a 32-40 YET :lol: Something about the 32-40 that I want so bad that I can't stand it but never have the money when one comes up for sale.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

That's a very nice family portrait there! Are your groups of 92s or 94 rifles this big?

How do you ever decide who to take to the range?

The 1886 / 71 is BY FAR my favorite Winchester to collect and shoot. However, when it comes time to grab a rifle and wander around the hills in pursuit of deer, the 6.5 ~ 7 lb 94s go along.
Chad
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

71fan wrote:That's a very nice family portrait there! Are your groups of 92s or 94 rifles this big?

How do you ever decide who to take to the range?

The 1886 / 71 is BY FAR my favorite Winchester to collect and shoot. However, when it comes time to grab a rifle and wander around the hills in pursuit of deer, the 6.5 ~ 7 lb 94s go along.
To be honest, not quite that big. Been out of work for a little while or I would have to take more pictures :lol: . I really don't treat this family as I should when it comes to range time. I test fire them for accuracy and the ones that shoot extremely well with my standard reload gets put back in the closet and I take the others that are not performing up to par. A couple of the SRC's have some worn front sights due to scabbard wear so they get taken out a little more. I am too cheap and lazy to fix them and I kinda like the challenge. They are a family to me as I know where I bought every one, never paid more than $400 for any, and they never complain. Some are family guns from a few generations ago. They get a little contankerous sometimes but seem to relax with a little care and patience.

I probably should have labelled this topic, "This is what happens when your single, a school teacher, and have little debt."

Thanks for all the comments. I hope to one day have a nice place set up to invite you folks for a shoot.
Last edited by morgan in nm on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Happy days, another single guy, thought I was alone in the wilderness!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice set - It's time to make them a "baker's dozen", fer sure ! ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: