OT - iPhone ??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

OT - iPhone ??

Post by DBW »

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting an iPhone but don't know much about them. I checked out Apple's website and it was somewhat helpful but I'm still a bit cunfuzzled on how well these things work at getting online. I understand that in addition to the regular phone service with AT&T (my current cell phone provider) I would need to buy the Data Plan for internet access when I buy an iPhone.

Here's the deal. Currently for me to get online I need to be at a Flying J truckstop since that is my sole Wifi provider which means that I have to be sitting at the truckstop. This isn't always possible since my routes don't always take me past one so there can be days I can't get online. Rarely am I beyond AT&T coverage. My browsing usually entails checking emails, gun forums and a few text based games.

So I'm really wondering how well the iPhone is for getting online? Is the surfing experience similar to that of a laptop or are there limitations?

Thanks in advance for any shared thoughts.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - iPhone ??

Post by kirkwood »

DBW wrote:Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting an iPhone but don't know much about them. I checked out Apple's website and it was somewhat helpful but I'm still a bit cunfuzzled on how well these things work at getting online. I understand that in addition to the regular phone service with AT&T (my current cell phone provider) I would need to buy the Data Plan for internet access when I buy an iPhone.

Here's the deal. Currently for me to get online I need to be at a Flying J truckstop since that is my sole Wifi provider which means that I have to be sitting at the truckstop. This isn't always possible since my routes don't always take me past one so there can be days I can't get online. Rarely am I beyond AT&T coverage. My browsing usually entails checking emails, gun forums and a few text based games.

So I'm really wondering how well the iPhone is for getting online? Is the surfing experience similar to that of a laptop or are there limitations?

You don't necessarily need an Iphone. the following At&T PDA phones allow tethering to a laptop pc for internet access:

AT&T: Tilt
Cingular: 8125 , 8525
HITECH: Tilt 8900
HP: hw6515
HTC: FUZE
LG: Incite
Motorola: Moto Q Global , Q
Nokia: E62 , E71x
Palm: Centro , TREO650 , TREO680 , TREO750
Pantech: Matrix Pro
Samsung: BlackJack , BlackJack II , Epix , i627 , Jack

You can also get just a datacard for your laptop if you like your current phone and plan. If you want to not be tied to traveling with a laptop, then an iphone might be the option for you.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I've had one since last october and getting online is fairly easy and pages load pretty quick too, even some of the more pic heavy pages. The down side of the iphone is that the screen is small and it can be difficult to read some pages. You can zoom in and make things almost ridiculously large so you can see them but the pages get more difficult to navigate that way. It's also difficult to hit the links on a web page sometimes too because they're so small on screen. I sometimes have to zoom in on the link so that I can hit it and not the 4 others around it. Other than the screen size, I love mine and don't know how I made it without it. It has a calculator, camera, youtube, itunes, an interactive map that's searchable for locations and pretty well doubles as a phone book. (search for a pizza hut in OKC for example and it will pull up all of them, show them on the map and then link to show the phone # for the location you select. then all you have to do is touch the phone # and you're calling them) It has the web browser and so many other things that I can't remember them all and that doesn't include all of the things you can download to them.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

kirkwood wrote:You can also get just a datacard for your laptop if you like your current phone and plan. If you want to not be tied to traveling with a laptop, then an iphone might be the option for you.
Were it me, this is the way I'd go. I didn't even think about that for your situation. My company issued mine to me. :D
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

Go here and see if you can get by with a PDA without tethering to a laptop:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone- ... ne+Connect

It is half the cost to not have tethering, but then you have a small screen, which may not appeal to you for web surfing. Paying an extra dollar a day for tethering to the laptop may be worth it to you, plus you have the option to just go with the PDA when you want to leave the laptop at home but still be able to access the internet.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I'm on my third.

If you are near wifi, it uses that. If you are not near wifi it uses either Edge or 3G data service depending on whether you are in a large city or not.

The calendar function is great. The visual voicemail is great. Email is good. Sound quality is great. I like my Shot Timer application. Being able to surf anywhere is addicting. Typing is not a 'puter, but it beats a regular phone. My fat fingers have no problem finding the right keys. You can jailbreak the first two generations of iPhone which adds functionality that Apple won't allow, like using the phone as a modem, or storing maps to use with the GPS when you are in the boonies with no cell service. Un-jailbreaking the phone is a one click fix.

Nancy is not techie and uses hers easily as does my 84 year old mom.
Nancy returned a Blackberry, a Moto Q, and a Palm before breaking down and getting an Apple. She's always been anti Apple, but after getting her iPhone, she now has a MacBook in addition to her PC.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Thanks guys. I think an iPhone is calling my name. :lol:
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I just ordered from AT&T a new 3G. Cost was $99. Went with the Nation 450 w/Rollover Minutes @ $39.99/month. Data Plan @$30.00/month.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm looking forward to this newest toy. :)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I guess I'm too late... I heard a rumor that Verizon will be coming out with a newer version of the iphone later this month. It will be the new improved version.

There are tons of apps out there for the iphone as well. You can make it do a lot more that way.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Just saw today where "they" are going to tax employer provided phones/laptops/etc as part of a compensation package :evil: Too much personal use, ya know..... :roll:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... hones.html
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

BlaineG wrote:Just saw today where "they" are going to tax employer provided phones/laptops/etc as part of a compensation package :evil: Too much personal use, ya know..... :roll:

About a fourth of my calls on my private cell phone are business related with my job. Does this mean I'll get a tax credit since I'm using my phone? :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

DBW wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Just saw today where "they" are going to tax employer provided phones/laptops/etc as part of a compensation package :evil: Too much personal use, ya know..... :roll:

About a fourth of my calls on my private cell phone are business related with my job. Does this mean I'll get a tax credit since I'm using my phone? :lol:
Actually, if you itemize, yes..... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

DBW wrote:Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting an iPhone but don't know much about them. I checked out Apple's website and it was somewhat helpful but I'm still a bit cunfuzzled on how well these things work at getting online. I understand that in addition to the regular phone service with AT&T (my current cell phone provider) I would need to buy the Data Plan for internet access when I buy an iPhone.

The BlackjackII does more than the Iphone, where e-mail is concerned, and you can get it for free, as an upgrade. Also, you can get a laptop from AT&T for $200 right now, you just have to pay for the cellular service.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

If you don't yet have iTunes, go ahead and download it and play with it some. Start looking at the available programs and downloading them. Don't forget to get Guntalk podcasts.

ShotTimer
Google
The Weather Channel
White Pages
Shazam
Recorder
Files
Units
Sol Free Solitaire
Sun Compass
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

DBW,
Too late now... but I use the Sprint 720G usb card in my laptop. Access ANYWHERE I have Sprint service. $60/mo for unlimited service.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Griff wrote:DBW,
Too late now... but I use the Sprint 720G usb card in my laptop. Access ANYWHERE I have Sprint service. $60/mo for unlimited service.
My laptop died months ago. I'm playing with a chopped/modded desktop that I had as a spare but am wanting something more mobile. I think the iPhone will fit the bill from what I've learned from folks here and other places. :)
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I picked up my new iPhone yesterday. Man, this thing is too cool. I just gotta be careful while I'm driving. Spent too much time surfing while I cruised between OKC and Albuquerque on I40 today. :lol:
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Did you get the new GS or the now lowered price G?
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

DavidFagan wrote:Did you get the new GS or the now lowered price G?

Got the 3G... typing this using it as I sit at our dropyard here in El Paso.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My two partners have Iphones and they love'em. They're constantly on them like 14 year old girls.
Old Law Dawg
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

My brother and most of my friends are that way (Like little girls playing with a new toy).

I will say if it didn't come with the 3.0 upgrade the stupid mail now works sideways, that was a pain.

The only thing I added was free compass and voice thing so I can just say call wife without pushing to many buttons.
Hum call wife, push buttons, I think there's a joke in there somewhere :roll:

I was never really into gadgets and I didn't understand my daughters fascination with the ipod and all but now I can walk again (due to lots of titanium bars, bolts, and screws) and I'm supposed to (therapy) , I guess I'm geek'd up now with a bunch of music to listen to as well...
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

kimwcook wrote:My two partners have Iphones and they love'em. They're constantly on them like 14 year old girls.
It's hard to look like a big, tough cowboy when you're giggling and texting! :lol:

BTW, I always feel wierd, answering a phone while driving cows horseback. Whenever I can, I avoid the phone when I'm on the horses; my wife can ruin the most relaxing thing in my life with the touch of a button.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1