Grateful for opinions: .375 & Lil'Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Grateful for opinions: .375 & Lil'Gun

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Twice I have read about the use of Hodgdon's Lil'Gun in the .375Win cartridge, but there was nothing written about data and performance. What are your experiences and opinions? Is the combination realistic?

For my own loads I use Barnes 255 grs FN and Norma 200, which should be close to Accurate 4180 in data and performance. The results are satifying. However, new ideas are always interesting.

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Hobie

Re: Grateful for opinions: .375 & Lil'Gun

Post by Hobie »

I don't think Lil'Gun is appropriate to the .375 Winchester or the .38-55 Winchester. That is based on loading the .38-55 to approximate .375 Win performance and using Lil'Gun in various smaller cartridges.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In my experience with L'il Gun in the .480 Ruger, it works best when used at no more than 25 grains, and in straight wall cases. I did try it with a .30-30 one time. One shot which sounded strange, case head separation, and I nearly dropped the rifle. I pulled the others with it, and I am not brave enough to try it again. I had a gunsmith check the rifle over and fortunately there was no damage. For what my opinion is worth, don't do it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

A lot of folks really like it for 357 Mag, but I don't think it's suitable for 375 anything.
Ricky

DWWC
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Thanks!

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

It might have reduced load uses. I use 2400 ALOT in 38/55 & similar cartriges & Lil'gun isn't far from it on the rate charts.