Best/favorite gun/ammo combo for feral cats

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Best/favorite gun/ammo combo for feral cats

Post by sore shoulder »

I've used .223, .22, .45 and 12ga and personally I've become fond of my Savage bolt .22 with a 3x9 and CCI Velocitors. I think that Velocitor round is hands down the best .22 available. The wildlife around my place has returned to normal after I cleaned out a bunch a few years back. They were very hard on the birds, rabbits, chipmunks and squirrels. I was constantly finding baby bunnies with thier heads torn off and uneaten. Those feral cats will kill just for sport. I expect with the economy getting worse that we will see an upswing in cats and dogs in my area. We had a huge feral dog problem that I helped eradicate some years ago. Apparently city people think we are their unwanted pet depository.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Best/favorite gun/ammo combo for feral cats

Post by Blaine »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Around these parts, shooting a cat/dog would get you jail time, no matter how feral or distructive :roll: But if I were so inclined, a CB Long would be dandy. Knocks 'em right down, um, err, so I've been told :wink:
Last edited by Blaine on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I would be interested to know if anyone has used the .17 Mach II for this application.
How did it perform?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Whatever is at hand. The .22 Magnum out of the little rifle is pretty deadly on them. I got up on an old tom who was licking himself -- he never even heard me coming -- that's kinda rare. When I cocked the hammer he looked up at me and I put it right in the front of his chest and that was that.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I use a two prong attack when felines threaten our compound......a combination of psychological and chemical warfare.

I cause palpable decline in spirit and morale with my dog and I use H20 out of my garden hose to encourage their evacuation.

It works, collateral damage is minimal, conforms to exsisting treaties & accepted standards of conduct and the clean up is realitively benign.

Wm

P.S. I have resorted to a wrist rocket, & partially frozen paintballs to both sting and mark particuarlly persistent felines.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

when they try to take up residence in my barn I resort to "trap em and scrap em" as for caliber and cartridge, it is whatever is in my hand at the time. as Mr. Jim T. said, shot placement is the key.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Guns? Don't need no stinkin gun! My dogs have em down for the count before I even know they are around.

I will agree that the Velocitors are the best thing going for .22LR varmints. Head and shoulders above the Mini-Mag and even the stinger for game in the 10-25lbs range.

LK
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i like my .54 Flintlock. :shock: Seems I see more of them when I'm out with the flinter than any other time.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

:D
Last edited by Nobody on Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

12 guage shotgun with #6 shot.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

^%$# it Blaine,
Now I wont be able to get one in the crosshairs without thinking of that video!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Since the age of about six, I was in charge of eliminating feral cats and dogs on the farm, and for me to this day, the little .22 LR has no shortcomings as far as accuracy, or potency for a humane kill (I want to eliminate them but I won't stand to see ANY animal suffer needlessly). It doesn't require (out of a rifle or carbine) hearing protection, doesn't disturb any neighbors, and is sufficient out to 75 yards.

Beyond that, anything you can hit well with makes sense.

I have known a couple deer hunters (two were veterinarians) who have used such rounds as 12 gauge saboted slugs, and one friend was shooting his .416 Rigby when a feral wandered onto his range. He said it 'field dressed' the cat... :shock:

Again, anything HUMANE should be fine, and that translates to anything accurate enough to hit their little golf-ball-sized head or center chest at range, and same or greater power than .22 LR.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have a feral that lives in my quonset building.
I have a Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 and a Bronco 4x4 in there and have no problems with mice damage.
My uncle, 6 miles away has mouse damage in his vehicles, he was complaining about it, and I reminded him, he did not have that trouble when Izzy ( a cat ) lived there.
He is searching for a cat.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I took a big TOM while hunting deer last season with my 30-30. I will guarentee he would have hit around 20-25lbs.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Marlin Golden Model 39-A, topped with a 2-7X Simmons scope and loaded with either Remington copperclad HV-HP's or Remington Yellow Jacket Hypervelocity-Truncated Cone-HP's.

For handgunning cats, I like my 5.5" barreled Ruger Super Single-Six loaded with Winchester copper-plated HV-HP's
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

A few years back, a widowed lady friend of mine had a tremendous feral cat problem. Her barn, stable, indeed her entire 120 acre tract, were overrun with literally hundreds of them. Animal Control traped a couple dozen -- didn't make a dent. The abundant small game population disappeared, and the cats were severely inbred, ubdernourished, and diseased. The entire place smelled like a stale litterbox. A freakin' threat to public health and safety.

It took over a year, but I cleaned up the problem. I used three main tools. Early on, I had great success with an Argentine HiPower 9mm pistol -- the gun was very accurate, and those 9mm hollowpoints struck like the hammer of Thor. Next was a 20 ga. full-choked Mossberg pump. #4 shot was instant death out to 50 yards. Last was a scoped Marlin Camp Carbine 9mm, and it was lightning out to 100 yards.

To be honest, at first I was skeptical about how effective these guns would be, but based on the results I'd say that all three were arguably ideal to the task. I missed my share of shots, but the cats I hit were, without exception, instantly down for the count.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One of my longest-time shooting buddies says the SAME thing, every time I show him a new gun I bought, or even just one I read about in a magazine, for the past 40 years. . .

"That would make a good CAT gun...!"

He says it regardless of what the gun is; some ones I remember:

1889 Marlin in .32-20
1894 Marlin in .44 Mag
1894 Marlin in .357 Mag
96/22 Ruger in .22 LR
Mossberg 12 gauge 8-shot pump gun
Garand in .30-06
Garand in .308
Marlin XLR .444 Marlin
Bushmaster Varminter .223
.50 Beowulf Upper for Bushmaster
.338 Lapua (never could afford to get one, though... :cry: )
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Good to hear from you Frank!

I like the .22 WMRF especially the Federal TNT load. The Rem load is very good as well. No, Mom's cats went to a good home. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've used the 22 Hornet , 22LR , 22 MAG , 222 REM , 12 gauge with #4 shot and last but not least I used a 444 Marlin with a 270 grain Speer bullet once !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I don't hunt feral cats, but I understand that a 12 pound Coehorn mortar works best:

http://www.buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Hobie wrote:Good to hear from you Frank!

I like the .22 WMRF especially the Federal TNT load. The Rem load is very good as well. No, Mom's cats went to a good home. :wink:
Hey Barent. You really should try the Velocitor. It's the cats meow.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

wm wrote:I use a two prong attack when felines threaten our compound......a combination of psychological and chemical warfare.

I cause palpable decline in spirit and morale with my dog and I use H20 out of my garden hose to encourage their evacuation.

It works, collateral damage is minimal, conforms to exsisting treaties & accepted standards of conduct and the clean up is realitively benign.

Wm

P.S. I have resorted to a wrist rocket, & partially frozen paintballs to both sting and mark particuarlly persistent felines.
Might that be considered "water boarding"?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

sore shoulder wrote:

Hey Barent. You really should try the Velocitor. It's the cats meow.
I haven't had any with me when the necessity has presented itself. :oops:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I don't have a problem with them at my place in the woods, I think the coyote keep them in check. I've been told coyote catch and eat them, don't know if that true or not.

My problem is at my house in town. Granted, it's a small town of 1000+/- people, but I'd still get in trouble using any kind of firearm on them. The issue is, along with a few homeless cats, some of the problem cats "belong" to my neighbor.

I don't like the fact that they are reducing the songbird population, they bring fleas into my yard (along with the fleas the squirrels deposit), they use my shrubbery as litter boxes and I am constantly finding scratch marks on my truck which is parked under the carport. They use it as an overnight perch. Oh, and they pester the H3ll out of my dog (Jack Russell) when I have her tethered out in the yard. They will sit just out of reach and "tease" her.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

In town a Havahart trap does wonders. Best beware, it is illegal in some places to even do this.
Sincerely,

Hobie

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

<-------------- I earned that name. :)

Had a friend with about 35 nasty feral cats infesting his barn/milk house. I use a second year production 1911 Colt that had been accurized, Smith sights, and the H&G 68 at about 1000 fps. Worked a treat. Left a finger-sized hole, no muss, no fuss.

Ah, good times. :)

Blain,

Great video. I did my cat extermination about 50 miles from you in Gig Harbor. Thank God I escaped that whole state.

Cat
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The formula for keeping feral cats away from the farm is to have 2 tom cats ,preferably siblings , so they don't fight each other all the time. They will keep any stray tom's away, you'll hear it in the middle of the night when there is a stray. Plus three females to kill mice. They are a little more ambicious than toms. Of coarse I went to the humane society and got my discount spay coupons and took care of the females. I've had the same cats around for 5 years now withouy any extras. Of course the toms can't figure out why they can't get any attention from the ladies. They're alittle slow!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

A little?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I think its disgusting and immoral the way you guys talk about hurting cats. Animals are God's creations and we should help them all we can. Every night I leave a well filled dish of anti-freeze for them to quench their thirst on. :wink:

.218 Bee---------Cat Rifle
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jeepmann1
Levergunner

Post by jeepmann1 »

Mine is a 22 Cheetah 60 gr hp bullet @ 4000 fps. Taxidermy is out of the question though (they literally come apart at the seams) .Also have been known to use a 125gr 357 hp out of the handi with a LARGE dose of powder. Almost as effective.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I was wondering when the "cat rifle" would make its obligatory appearance.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:I was wondering when the "cat rifle" would make its obligatory appearance.
Me too! I'm keepin' my head down on this one in case the Cat Lady comes back! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The .223 fmj is way overkill but very humane to the cat. They don't feel a thing trust me - just bang, lights out.

As for the Velocitors, I too am a fan and a head shot with that or a .22mag or .17Mack or Mag will do the trick very quickly - just be sure to put the pill in the cranium....
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Fungus Sam
Shootist

Post by Fungus Sam »

Like Jim says, whatever is at hand. However, my favorite cat shot occurred with a 220 Swift. I looked out from my workshop one day and spied a feral cat out on my range. He sat down at about the 75 yard line and proceeded to just look around, maybe like he'd just finished a meal of songbird. I centered a 55 gr V-max on his chest. All I could find when I walked down there was the top of his head with the ears and about 6-8 inches of fur down his back. The rest of the cat had vanished.!! Love those V-max bullets in the Swift.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Every night I leave a well filled dish of anti-freeze for them to quench their thirst on.
Hopefully that was a joke - too many 'innocent' animals might get poisoned. Better to use either a gun (you are there to determine if the target is truly a 'hostile' or not), or a Have-A-Hart trap (you come along later, and release the 'good guys' accidentally snared, or take them 'out back' if they are in need of elimination).

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I know from personal experience that the .22 is adequate though not what I would call ideal for those tough outback cats. A roo shooter once proved to me that a .243 with hollow points is ideal, and I'm still waiting to find out what my 357 with 125gr hollowpoint XTPs will do.
Hey Hobie, if the "have a heart" trap is one of those cat freindly type things I'm sure it could be made less freindly by adding a 12ga and an open paddock for a spot of low level skeet shooting.
How in hades could any intelligent state pass a law that protects environmentally destructive ferals? but if you happen to be unlucky enough to live in such a place, just remember to apply the three SSS principle.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote:
Sixgun wrote: Every night I leave a well filled dish of anti-freeze for them to quench their thirst on.
Hopefully that was a joke - too many 'innocent' animals might get poisoned. Better to use either a gun (you are there to determine if the target is truly a 'hostile' or not), or a Have-A-Hart trap (you come along later, and release the 'good guys' accidentally snared, or take them 'out back' if they are in need of elimination).

Doc,
Absolutely a joke. I am a firm believer that when something needs to die, it must be done swift and without suffering. The only time I would deviate from this line of thinking would be when killing a child predator, if the case ever presented itself to me.
In all reality, I find it hard even to kill mangy foxes around the house anymore. I do, but I don't like it.----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

Never had a real problem with house cats, a mountian kitty thought it needed my goat more than I did though :shock: I have had more problems with degenerate crankers "loosing" their stupid pit bulls in my neck of the woods though. I have only had to kill two and I felt real bad after it but for the record a 110 grn sp out of a .30 carbine works well.
Break on through to the other side!!!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I bet it does!
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

I'm a little touchy on feral cats, as the cat that my wife and I have now was close to being a feral, as some individual didn't feel it was worthy of his family's attention. My sister gave it some attention, and it latched onto her family, much to the chagrin of her cat. So, she made a couple of phone calls, and lo! Oreo had a home. Took her 10 minutes to take over the apartment. We had her spayed at the first opportunity. Oreo's become quite enamored of being an "inside" cat, though if we let her, she'd kill chipmunks at the first opportunity.

I've encountered only one feral cat up at the deer camp I belong to, in the Adirondacks--in the offseason. I think that a good amount of them become coyote chow. Supposedly, once a coyote gets a hankering for cat flesh, it will ignore other prey animals to zero in on cats.

But, to go back to the subject of the OP, it seems to me that a .22LR would do the job.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlueStateSaint wrote:I'm a little touchy on feral cats, as the cat that my wife and I have now was close to being a feral, as some individual didn't feel it was worthy of his family's attention.
I don't think many of us lack compassion for the animal itself - the CAT can't help it if some human didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

If the Humane Society wants to come out and catch them all and take care of them, I'm all for that (as long as I'm NOT taxed for it), but until that is the case, I will humanely eliminate them. Just like DEER - think about all the various ways cats actually die in the real world, and the humane bullet is actually one of the better ones. Around here the alternatives boil down to:

a) hit by cars (at least usually quickly fatal for a cat, vs. slow death for deer)
b) slow death by disease or starvation if the parasite load is too high
c) eaten (usually before fully dead) by coyotes or wild dogs
d) shot

If "e) taken to a little old lady to spend its remaining days on her lap when not eating tuna fish" were an option, I'd certainly rather do that than shoot them, but as a 'hunter' and gun enthusiast, it seems reasonable to rise to the occasion and as long as I can do it humanely, use the opportunity to hone shooting skills and test new guns/loads.

The sort of 'morbid' humor surrounding it is probably just the way we deal with it - kind of like the jokes the ER docs, morticians, and ambulance drivers tell - 'insensitive' but no harm.

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Very illegal around here as well so you have to be very quite or use "blue" tuna.
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

The 22 LR will do the job just fine, you don't need over kill. 22LR is the least expensive ( Unless you use an Air Rifle ) and will kill any small game you come across.
Most of my hunting today is done exclusively with 22 LR. I hunt rabbit, prairie dogs, rock dogs, porcpines ect, all with the 22LR. It's become my favorite caliber to hunt with.

JT
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Years ago, I was a SSgt in USAF. One of my addit'l duties was wildlife control officer at ________ AF Base. I set out box traps several hundred yards from Base Housing at dusk and caught dozens of animals. Un-collared cats were to be destroyed. I wore Welder's gloves and used a ball peen hammer to terminate the cats. It was a cave-man type of execution but it didn't hurt the animals. One whack to the skull gotterdone.

Possums & coons were shot with 22 CB loads. Skunks were drowned in the trap so they wouldn't spray.

Dozens of pheasants were caught in simple tube type of baited traps.

Geese were also caught with traps but drowning type that had to be set after dark and checked before dawn.

Jack rabbits were strangled in snares attached to rods and lift weights.

My family ate well during those years. Nope, we never ate cat, coon, possum, or skunk.

Good trapping to you.
TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

in my humble experence, the velocitors work well enough, that i traded the .22mag away. the difference between the 2 doesn't justify the cost between the 2. if the velocitors not enough, i 'd goe with the .223 or the .357mag. just my experence.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I was thinking devilish thoughts about a .45-70 vs. a .50 BMG, but decided instead to pick the one on the left...

"Kitty Patrol" - (ammoguide.com)

cpt Dan Blodgett
Levergunner

Post by cpt Dan Blodgett »

Having no personal knowledge but have heard in the city limits of a major AZ city a box trap, a boom box playing rock and roll of your choice, a chipmunk rifle and cb caps takes care of the problem when touched off when in contact to the back of the head.
SASS #75655
"Follow Me"
Hecter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hecter »

The 17 HMR is becoming my favorite as of late. Great in settled areas. My all time favorite is the 22-250 with 55gr. Hornady SP bullets.
Rick-F
Levergunner

Post by Rick-F »

mescalero1 wrote:^%$# it Blaine,
Now I wont be able to get one in the crosshairs without thinking of that video!
You can work thru it. . . When you get one in the crosshairs, and the video starts to play in your mind, pull the trigger about 1/3 way thru the video; you will not get to the closeup in the final scene. After 4 or 5 encounters, the video will no longer matter.