big guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

big guns

Post by two bit okie »

Could the 45-70 cowboy, be rechambered for 450, or is the steel different in the two guns?
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Re: big guns

Post by 95fan »

IIRC the steel is the same. But why? The 45-70 can be loaded just as hot as the 450.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

AND it's not belted. Why Marlin went the belted route is beyond me. They should have taken a leaf out of Ruger's book with their new and EXCELLENT magnums.

I'm hoping for the possibility of BLR conversion in the .375Ruger or .416 Ruger.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

They said in an article that Marlin did not want the possibility of someone loading a .450 round in an old trap door and blowing their head off! :o
The belt prevents that possibility.
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:They said in an article that Marlin did not want the possibility of someone loading a .450 round in an old trap door and blowing their head off! :o
The belt prevents that possibility.
So, so true...

But then how is it that folks with Marlin 1895's and Ruger #1's don't blow up all the Trapdoors out there?

So... just get the .45-70 and load it according to its capabilities.

Anyways - Please understand that I'm in no way challenging your post, as I’m in full agreement and am just pushing the point a tad further..

All my reloading manuals have a:

1) Trapdoor section

2) Marlin 1895 section

3) Ruger #1 page

If a reloader is that far off – he’ll kill himself with something sooner or later.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The factory don`t want to go to court, if someone sues Bubba ,he wont have much money to get so they probably wont go to the trouble. :D
Most factory heavy loads have warnings on the box that help cover their rear ends. :o

We do agree totally Slick!! 8)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

95fan wrote:IIRC the steel is the same. But why? The 45-70 can be loaded just as hot as the 450.

yep, and on the flip side, you can still shoot factory spec loads AD (All Day) through it without hurting your shoulder any more than a day at the skeet range with a 20 gauge
----- Doug
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

Sure, I know what your saying but we are way past the courts interfering with "stupid is as stupid does" and furthering the erosion of the gene pool. :wink:

Beside, all the more reason they should have bought out a .50 :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

two bit okie wrote:Could the 45-70 cowboy, be rechambered for 450, or is the steel different in the two guns?

The steels the same but the barrel is threaded differently. Its got a "V" thread instead of the regular square threads. The V threads let the reciever support the chamber area instead of letting the barrel expand inside of the reciever. They did the same thing with the newer .308 & 338.

But you can load 45/70 to .450 velocities with less pressure because its got more internal capacity. They only came out with the .450 so that factory ammo could be made to take advantage of the superior strength of modern guns. Very few ammo makers will produce 45/70 ammunition in league with the 450 because eventually some idgit will drop one in a trapdoor, old Marlin or Winchester & end up owning them.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

I suppose it would be too much to expect the courts to say that if you use the wrong ammo, you are stupid and deserve the damage.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TwoBitOkie for SCOTUS!!!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

two bit okie wrote:I suppose it would be too much to expect the courts to say that if you use the wrong ammo, you are stupid and deserve the damage.
I dunno… If things go badly (as I expect) – the court would have a “wise latina lady” who’d say you should have been out buying tripe instead of those naughty guns. :?
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

:shock: :o :?
Slick, I don't know, be careful, La Raza Unita will want you to attend diversity training.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

TwoBitOkie for SCOTUS!!!
God that was just too funny! :lol: :lol:

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

mescalero1 wrote::shock: :o :?
Slick, I don't know, be careful, La Raza Unita will want you to attend diversity training.
We have our own version of "diversity training..."
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

If you want to rechamber it---- go big! I had mine rebarreled in 50 alaskan :shock:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I thought diversity was having 2 or more different calibers. :oops: Maybe it is having something other than a lever gun. I agree that the belt was just something for the lawyers on the .450 Marlin, but look at all of the warning signs on everything nowdays. Has anyone on here actually blown up a Trapdoor Springfield?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

Buck Elliott wrote:We have our own version of "diversity training..."
If I'm not mistaken - that subject would focus on owning lever-action rifles in many calibers... :D