Baikal Double Rifle is Back !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Baikal Double Rifle is Back !

Post by crs »

It is now known as the MP 221 and is available through USSG Inc., apparently a division of EAA Corporation.
Here is a link to the USSG web site, which looks like a clone of the EAA site.
http://www.ussginc.com/index.html
http://www.eaacorp.com/

I discovered this while reading very current posts on the 24 Hour campfire, where there was considerable knowledge based on ownership of these doubles. Much of this is worth reading for those interested in .45-70 double rifles, the European calibers that may also be imported, as well as US calibers that may be added to the line (like .405 WCF). There is even an explanation as to why the Beeman air rifle scope mounts fit the rifle and are tough enough to handle the recoil(again, by an owner that has done it).

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthrea ... ost2819861

If you enjoy this read, follow the link to a post on Kifaru.com where there is an exhaustive discussion of the strength of the MP 221 action. You may also want to follow the suggestion of one of the posts and email USSG from their web site and request your favorite caliber to be imported to the US. I have already sent in my email, asking them to import a .405 WCF throated to handle the 400 grain Woodleigh and Hornady bullets. :)
Enjoy!

PS Imagine one of these loaded with your favorite expanding or solid bullet (or one of each)!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: Baikal Double Rifle is Back !

Post by Thunder50 »

Don't think I will hold my breath for these. I waited years for the 45-70 double rifle and never found one. Saw one at the Tulsa show and understand a few made it in. Hope they do make it.

A 35 Whelen double rifle would be nice to have.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

USSG is the company that imports Remington's 798 and 799 rifles. I met up with them at the SHOT show and was on their review team. Don't get too excited about the Baikal 45-70 and 30-06. They are, uh, junk. However, the Sabatti double rifles are pretty darn good. They are putting cheap plastic fiber optic rear and front sights on them. The ejectors are not polished or hand timed. These can be fixed very easily. The retail price on them is only in the low $6000 range so they are a good deal for the money and come in 450NE and other useful calibers!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

86er,
They may be junk to some people, but they are not expensive and many of the owners seem to be having FUN with them.
It was interesting to read what Sundles had to say about them - that they are completely safe for his .45-70 ammo at 40,000 PSI.

Like I said, there is a lot of current buzz about them just now and if USSg does not pull a Remington (get the distribution rights and not distribute the guns), there will soon be plenty of them in circulation and lots of evidence as to whether they are worth the $600 dollars that some have paid for them.

+1 on the Sabatti doubles - they look nice and come in African calibers. I do not know their price, but it must be well below that of most doubles in those calibers, because none of the African Hunting Cognescenti ever seems to mention them. It seems that anything less than $10,000 is of no interest to them.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I wouldn't mind having one in 45-70 to play with, but I couldn't get too excited about one. From what I have read about them, it sounds like you may as well plan on a lot of tinkering, repairing, adjusting, etc, just to get one to shoot acceptably. Not to mention they are not a very nice looking rifle, somewhat utilitarian and unfinished. But still, I'd prolly buy one if I came across one at the right price.
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i had one in 30-06. I was just not very happy with it. Lots of things that I didn't like, though it shot ok. There was no pride in ownership and it did not last long after the trial date.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I never got either the .30-06 or the .45-70, both of which I ordered with a 100% deposit, after more than a year and a half of waiting/calling/getting excuses.

When I first ordered, EAA was the "importer, but kept making excuses for them not being incountry yet & sayin "they should be in by next week" etc - first to my ordering FFL, and then to the both of us during a conference call a year later.
THEN EAA told us that Remington was assuming importation, so we switched the order to them - also to no avail.

After six months of THAT, my FFL refunded my $$$, and I bought other guns.

Today, since I've soured on them and the way they do business, I wouldn't take one for free.

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Well, gents, did you notice these?:

http://www.ussginc.com/parts-more-acces ... serts.html

"Barrel Inserts
Now you can convert your IZH43, IZH43K, IZH43KH, or MP213 to a side by side rifle or rifle/shotgun combo. The insert system holds the rifle barrel inside the shotgun barrel at the muzzle and breach. Thus, creating a more accurate rifle than traditional side by side rifles. Calibers: (45-70, .308 WIN, .222, .223). NOTE: The barrel insert will only work on the above model shotguns that have the following features: 20-12ga/2.75 barrel, factory installed screw chokes and extractor.

.45-70 $159 (price per barrel)"

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I saw two Remingtons today, both .30-06. One used and one new. Neither lasted long. Both priced in the $750.00-$795.00 range respectively. 1886.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

As long as it took me to get my co-pilot I don’t think I could live long enough to afford a $6000 double. Even if I did I would be afraid to use it for fear of scratching it.
It is not the critic who counts
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Paladin. Like you, I never thought I would own a WWG Co pilot, and I always wanted a double rifle. Now I have both. it was worth the wait. Good luck in finding a way to make that double come to you.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot