Tools

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Tools

Post by Griff »

How many of you guys have specialized tools for your gun-wrenching need?

I have screwdriver sets, drifts and hammers that are only used with my guns... And ocassionally elsewhere when such a specialized tool is needed.

One of my favorites has been a 16 oz brass hammer that my Uncle in IN made for me in his machine shop when he learned I was beginning to collect Winchester 94s. It is still as good as the day he handed it to me... just a little more "experienced"! :P

However, I noticed that when hitting the side plates on my new 1860 color cased Henry, it would leave a slight "brass" mark on the steel. Nothing that didn't wipe right off, but... still... So I started thinking of what type of hammer wouldn't do that. And recalled a plastic and rubber faced hammer that my Dad owned. I sure think I've seen them around, but couldn't recall seeing one recently. So, a search was instituted. Ya know what? Truck stops are very poor places to find tools... and Wal-Marts are only one or two steps up the ladder from them!

I don't particularily like catalog shoppping, but... sometimes there no substitute. And in this instance, a need for a new chainsaw and week-eater came to my rescue. While at the Sears site... I did a search on plastic hammer... viola, there was what I wanted!

Craftsman 12 oz. Plastic-Tip Hammer. Now unlike their wrenches and sockets, this doesn't have the lifetime warranty... but... boy, does it do the job for which I purchased it! Surprisingly, that hard plastic surface also drifts out the wedges on my '51 Navies like nobody's business. Whereas my brass hammer would knock the wedge loose, it would often take addition hits to move it far enough that it would be able to moved by hand and barrel removed. With the plastic face, one strike and the wedge is almost all the way out. 8)
Last edited by Griff on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Re: Tools

Post by stew71 »

Griff....way way back....I ONCE used a standard screwdriver on the Marlin 30-30 that was given to me by my dad when I turned 14. After the darn thing slipped, scratched the side, and bunged up the screwhead, I vowed to always use specialized gunsmithing tools....drivers, punches, mallets, files, etc.

The exception, of course, is my Dremel. Man...I can't imagine NOT owning one of those kits. It's been a time- and life-saver over the years.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: :oops: Metal screams in horror when I start to touch tools...... :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have a number of tools for my guns. Some are custom home made, some are factory made but originally for other purposes. And some are intended for guns.

Every time I do something it seems I find a need for a different tool.

It's worse than working on my cars and trucks.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

yes I have tools that never leave the gun room I bought channel lock brand with blue handles so I can keep better track of them

^
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Like many I suppose, I found out the hard way about the "right" screw driver. It started me on the road to using the right tool for the job. I will admit though that I have tightend a grip screw with a Leatherman, but it was all I had available at the time.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Quality tools are expensive but you only buy them once.

"Don`t force it, get a bigger hammer!" :o
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote::oops: :oops: Metal screams in horror when I start to touch tools...... :oops: :oops:
That's about as graphic as I'd want to actually witness! :P :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Griff.. I have that version hammer.. The yellow end cracked into pieces after a few years.. I don't remember what I was tapping with it at the time but I do remember I sure was glad it wasn't one of my guns cause the metal part of the hammer hit what I was tapping when it cracked...Delrin rod is available in some hardware stores and will make a nice non marring controllable drift.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Griff.. I have that version hammer.. The yellow end cracked into pieces after a few years.. I don't remember what I was tapping with it at the time but I do remember I sure was glad it wasn't one of my guns cause the metal part of the hammer hit what I was tapping when it cracked...Delrin rod is available in some hardware stores and will make a nice non marring controllable drift.
I wondered if this hammer would be as long lasting as the version my Dad had... ya know, is today's product as good as they made back when? But, I also saw that they sold replacement ends. So... I'm thinkin' with your experience I should probably get a spare set or two. Thanks for the info.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I too have the same hammer and I have never had a problem with it. I have only owned it though for just over a year. Another good hammer is the brass/plastic brownell hammers. I have one of them that has been going for over 16 yrs. The only bad thing about it is that if you don't check the tighness of the brass face, it unscrews and that little rattle bothers me. For screwdrivers, I am a big fan of Grace hollow-ground. I really like them and they fit most firearms and even if they don't, they are not that hard to fit.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Got some cool tools from MidwayUSA(Wheeler Engineering )that are only used specificly for the Guns! :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I recommend Midway and/or Brownells for the tools, and a Dremel tool or the Black & Decker version because the rotary tools are great for fixing things. Always get one which has the adjustable speed control and go as slow as possible. You can always remove more metal later, but it becomes difficult to put it back on.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy Folks,
Aside from all the gun specific screwdrivers, hammers, etc, I recently bought a torque handle (080-000-515) from Brownells. Very good quality.
I use it for torqueing all my bolt actions... A little more expensive than some of the others, but the reports haven't been that good on them either... Buy it once....... (10-70 inch/lbs)

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Other than cleaning tools, just a gun-specific screwdriver set.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Tools seem to accumulate from various sources. Midway and Brownells are probably the major source. I have a bunch of wood working stuff I use for stock work that I accumulated over time for various projects. I have some Chinese micrometers and dial indicators that I got at harbor frieght for next to nothing and work good enough. And then there is all the reloading and cleaning stuff. The biggest thing to know home gunsmithing is to know your limitations.

Dave
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Bwana I have to disagree a little bit. The biggest thing to home gunsmithing is having a bunch of junkers to practice on after figuring out how to do it. My toolbox in the garage is about 6 and a half feet tall and I have special gunsmithing tools also such as a receiver wrench and barrelnut wrench for changing barrels on my savages, also barrel vice, files, head space gauges ect, ect. Tools are cool! Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Tom you are right but if you disregard my advice you will have no shortage of junkers to work on. Tools are way cool. They are like guns in that you always regret parting with them at a later date.

Dave
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Quality tools are expensive but you only buy them once.
Usually, I buy them a second time - a couple days before I find the first one which I'd misplaced... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

dont own many gun specific tools except for action spanner's barrel vice headspace gauges
and a few reamers....probably forgot something
I am a diesel mechanic so I own a lot of tools that you can use on guns
I hate not knowing were any tools are don't lose many
as for tensions I can go from 5in.lb to 3200ft.lb with whats in my tool box
I had to learn how to do a lot of my gun work because there were no gunsmiths in my area
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.