Shooting Range Deaths

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Shooting Range Deaths

Post by Texican »

Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

So sad to see people loose their lives because of (I'm assumming) well, not paying attention. As the #1 rule I ALWAYS watch where my muzzle is pointed. Last year, my good friend Tom, who owns Targetmaster gunshop and indoor firing range had an individual who committed suicide on the firing line. He was just a young guy in his twenties. ---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I rarely shoot while others are at the range. Once there are more than three individuals on the firing line I leave. I have just seen too much careless, sloppy behavior at various ranges. Be safe. 1886.
joakleigh
Levergunner

Post by joakleigh »

1886 wrote:I rarely shoot while others are at the range. Once there are more than three individuals on the firing line I leave. I have just seen too much careless, sloppy behavior at various ranges. Be safe. 1886.
I do the same myself. At times ive noticed that even with a large group of careful and conscientious shooters things can get scary. At our local shooting range the regulars have their own native language and sometimes forget that not everyone understands what they are saying. A "HOT RANGE" can mean something totally differant to someone new. I always tryed to state things as clearly as possible and make darn sure everyone on the range knows what i'm talking about but like 1886 said i rarely go to the range anymore :( . Luckily the farm that bumps up to my property has a nice one set up :wink: :) :D
Joshua

My 2 cents nothing more nothing less
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

One of the indoor ranges I shoot at has a policy of not renting guns to people who come in alone (singles)...they figure they may not have target practice in mind. Probably a good policy, and may help some one to not shoot themself.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

There were only two fatilities at my range that I know of, besides a heart attack on the skeet range a few years back. The two 'deaths' attributed to the range we both suicides, and both occurred off of the firing line--one fellow parked on an access road while driving out of the park and shot himself, and was found in his automobile the following morning.

The second guy came into the range, fired a few rounds with his .38 Taurus snub, and then checked out and went into the parking lot and capped himself in the head while sitting behind the wheel of his car.

My rangemaster came over from the trap tournement to oversee the police reports, etc. After all was said and done he went back to the tournement. One of the senior VP's from Taurus Miami was a member of the trap club. My boss walked up to him and said "Bob, I got some bad news. Taurus is gonna get some negative press."

VP: "Why ?"

Boss: "Some nut just committed suicide in the parking lot. Shot himself in the head with a Taurus .38 Snub."

VP: "Did the gun fire when he pulled the trigger ?"

Boss: "Yeah."

VP: "Then the gun worked as it's supposed to."
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I am retired and can shoot any time I want to, and the weekends are off limits for me. More solitude from Monday to Thursday, and much, much safer!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The last line in the middle story says it all. "Safety first. Every time. No compromises."

That goes for guns, vehicles, boats, planes, power tools, etc...
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

jazman wrote:One of the indoor ranges I shoot at has a policy of not renting guns to people who come in alone (singles)...they figure they may not have target practice in mind. Probably a good policy, and may help some one to not shoot themself.
Sounds like a good way to end up with groups inexperienced idiots doing stupid stuff.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

Travis Morgan wrote:
jazman wrote:One of the indoor ranges I shoot at has a policy of not renting guns to people who come in alone (singles)...they figure they may not have target practice in mind. Probably a good policy, and may help some one to not shoot themself.
Sounds like a good way to end up with groups inexperienced idiots doing stupid stuff.
If iI didn't have my kids with me,I would probably be by myself .If they didn't let me shoot they would lose a customer and I would tell everyone I knew about it.I'm glad I can walk out my back door and shoot.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I belong to a local club, but haven't visited their facility for a few years. Most of my shooting is done at one of our ranches, where I can be by myself and don't have to worry about other's "mistakes". I have witnessed enough of those to last for a long time.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

"Travis Morgan wrote:
jazman wrote:
One of the indoor ranges I shoot at has a policy of not renting guns to people who come in alone (singles)...they figure they may not have target practice in mind. Probably a good policy, and may help some one to not shoot themself.

If iI didn't have my kids with me,I would probably be by myself .If they didn't let me shoot they would lose a customer and I would tell everyone I knew about it.I'm glad I can walk out my back door and shoot."

What I wrote was they don't RENT guns to singles...
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When I lived in CA, I made it a point to go to the range most Saturdays and Sundays. I'd show up just b4 lunch & closin' time. You don't think I bought all of those 7,000 pieces of once-fired .30-30s, do you?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
North Bender
Levergunner

Post by North Bender »

I'm not certain if the ranges had anything to do with the posted stories. The first person probably killed herself, the second person never got to the range - killed himself getting his rifle out of his truck - and we may never know what happened at the police range because they put a lid on the story.

But I like the poster's comment that if 3 other shooters show up he's outta there. I'm the same way; I won't shoot with a crowd of strangers. My opinion is there are too many people who don't practice gun safety to the level I think they should.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I shoot at my club's indoor rimfire range, usually alone, at the outdoor rimfire range, alone or with some responsible BR types, or at the silhouette range, 99% of the time alone or with some other silhouette shooters or BPCR shooters.

I will never shoot at the 100yd "General Purpose" range. I was an RSO for 3 years, it was like the "wild west", and I witnessed too much scary stupidity and ignorance of common sense. I'm no longer an RSO because I don't want to be the one on duty when bad times.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

1886 wrote:I rarely shoot while others are at the range. Once there are more than three individuals on the firing line I leave. I have just seen too much careless, sloppy behavior at various ranges. Be safe. 1886.
Same here.
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

I read in local news late today that the indoor pistol range event here in the Houston Area will probably be ruled a suicide. Here is the story:

Rice University officials have identified the woman found fatally shot Saturday night at a Pasadena shooting range as graduate student Emma Lundgren.

Lundgren, 28, was a violinist studying at the Shepherd School of Music and is from Sweden, said university spokesman B.J. Almond.

Investigators with the Harris County Medical Examiner's Office believe Lundgren committed suicide, officials said today.

Lundgren was found lying face-down on the firing line, dead from an apparent gunshot wound to the head. She had rented a weapon at the Pasadena Gun Center and Shooting Range at 206 Shaw, Pasadena Police Department spokesman Vance Mitchell said.

"Apparently she went back to the firing line and was firing this pistol for about 20 minutes when management came over the PA system and said for everyone to leave so they could clear the line," Mitchell said.

Employees discovered Lundgren's body shortly before 7 p.m.

"Right now there are no details as far as exactly what happened," said Almond, adding that the university is also grappling with the disappearance of undergraduate computer science student Matthew Wilson, 20, who has been missing since Dec. 14.

Lundgren was the recipient of a Dorothy Richard Starling Foundation Scholarship in violin.
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

I have no sympathy for people who don't practice gun safety. The 2nd story in the original message is a prime example of two counts of supreme stupidity.

The first act of stupid was to not making sure the action was clear, the gun unloaded, and the magazine was removed (if possible) before putting it away after it's last use.

The second act of stupid was to not ensure that the safety was engaged.

The guy that got shot by his dog a day or so ago was the same kind of idiot. What possessed him to put his shotgun in the bed of his truck - WITHOUT THE SAFETY BEING ON - pointed towards the back, especially when there's a rambunctious dog flailing around wanting to get out of the truck?

These people simply cleansed the gene pool a little, and deserve no respect or pity. This kind of stuff just makes the uneducated anti-gun lobby stand up and point and say "we told you so!"

(I have a low tolerance for absurdity).
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

jsimmons wrote: .

The guy that got shot by his dog a day or so ago was the same kind of idiot. What possessed him to put his shotgun in the bed of his truck - WITHOUT THE SAFETY BEING ON - pointed towards the back, especially when there's a rambunctious dog flailing around wanting to get out of the truck?

).
Why would he have a round in the chamber. You dont need a round in the chamber of your gun lying in the bed of your truck!!
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

I was talking to a guy at the range last weekend who was proud to say he had a bench-rest gun with a 1-ounce trigger.

I mentioned that sounded like an unsafe gun to me, and his response was, "I only use it here at the range". Sorry, but that doesn't change the inherent lack of safety where the gun is involved.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

JSImmons,

Those guns are loaded one round at a time, and only loaded and shot from the bench.
His one ounce trigger would actually be considered heavy, by some in the sport of benchrest shooting. Fractions of an ounce are commonplace. Some even use remote firing systems, where nobody is actually touching the gun, at all!
Really, it's not a shooting match; it a gunbuilding and reloading match. Kinda like competitive rocket building, really.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

Just goes to show What one man thinks is dangerous anotherman thinks is commonplace. :shock: :D
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

Travis Morgan wrote:JSImmons,

Those guns are loaded one round at a time, and only loaded and shot from the bench.
His one ounce trigger would actually be considered heavy, by some in the sport of benchrest shooting. Fractions of an ounce are commonplace. Some even use remote firing systems, where nobody is actually touching the gun, at all!
Really, it's not a shooting match; it a gunbuilding and reloading match. Kinda like competitive rocket building, really.
The only time I shoot from the bench is when I'm sighting in a scope or testing new ammo. Any other time I shoot offhand. None of my triggers are lighter than 2 pounds.
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

jsimmons wrote:I was talking to a guy at the range last weekend who was proud to say he had a bench-rest gun with a 1-ounce trigger.

I mentioned that sounded like an unsafe gun to me...
Can have a tenth of an ounce trigger, you obey rules 1 to 4, it's safe.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

jsimmons wrote:
Travis Morgan wrote:JSImmons,

The only time I shoot from the bench is when I'm sighting in a scope or testing new ammo. Any other time I shoot offhand. None of my triggers are lighter than 2 pounds.
You're just NOT getting it! These rifles are shot from the bench ONLY!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Mark Taylor
Levergunner

Post by Mark Taylor »

jsimmons,

Please chew on what Retro and Travis said.
Mark in WBGV
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Sixgun wrote:...Last year, my good friend Tom, who owns Targetmaster gunshop and indoor firing range had an individual who committed suicide on the firing line. He was just a young guy in his twenties. ---------Sixgun
Same here in Phoenix (Scottsdale) recently.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hmmmmm, may be a market for teflon coated shooting ranges..... easier cleanup!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer