What is the most unusual cartridge you shoot?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Re: What is the most unusual cartridge you shoot?

Post by cas »

(1) What is the most unusual/unique/interesting cartridge you shoot?

I guess that would be the .22 Long Snapper

(2) Why does it qualify for that designation?

I have a number off "obsolete", and wildcat cartridges, but the Snapper seems to be the one the fewest people have heard of.

(3) How does it perform?
35 gr bullets @ 1900-2000 FPS from a Ruger Single Six.

(4) What does it cost per round on average?
Not much, it's made from 22 Hornet brass.

Slow is just slow.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

cas wrote: Image
Looks like a stock barrel , so I guess you use .223 bullets and not .224 . The cylinder looks like a 6 shot , so you stock cyl too . . If you used the 22 gun how did you relocate the firing pin . I love your gun more information...... PLEASE .......
Image..Image
Image......Image
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

tn gun runner wrote:
cas wrote: Image
Looks like a stock barrel , so I guess you use .223 bullets and not .224 . The cylinder looks like a 6 shot , so you stock cyl too . . If you used the 22 gun how did you relocate the firing pin . I love your gun more information...... PLEASE .......
A big +1! I've heard of it and I think it may be a candidate for a Martini Cadet conversion... :mrgreen: Are there dedicated dies for it?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Tell us more about how the Snapper came into being.
hocbj23
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hocbj23 »

.218 Bee,.25-20,.32-20 all in 1984 CL Marlins.Just keep neckin the brass down and keep on shootin.BJ
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

25 rimfire. Well I don't shoot it anymore, only one round left, so we're saving it. The rifle is a Stevens single shot, belonged to my Greatgrandfather. My Dad had several box's of ammo left when we cleaned the gun up several years ago, but only one cartridge left now.
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

greyowl wrote:25 rimfire. Well I don't shoot it anymore, only one round left, so we're saving it. The rifle is a Stevens single shot, belonged to my Greatgrandfather. My Dad had several box's of ammo left when we cleaned the gun up several years ago, but only one cartridge left now.
Some of them can be converted to center fire with little or no problem .
Image..Image
Image......Image
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

.22 Long Snapper does take special dies, not cheap. Thats the down side. It's kind of like the Ruger Single Six sized version of the .224 Kay-Chuck. (named for gunsmith Robert Snapp IIRC?)

My gun was built by David Clements. A stock .22 Bisley, converted to centerfire and rechambered.
I shoot Hornady V-Max 35gr bullets out of it. Never got around to playing with heavier ones, hope to some day.
Slow is just slow.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

.32 Long Colt rimfire and centerfire
.32 Short Colt rimfire and centerfire
'92 Marlin rifle with two firing pins available (rim and center)
Uses a heel-based bullet or hollowbase.
About 1/8" trimmed off the little Colt Long case if I want to cycle the ammo through the tube magazine successfully with my heeled bullet.
otteray
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

The famous Harry Pope made drilled and rifled barrels off center to make a center fire to a rim fire . This rifle was a a center fire made into a rim fire .

Image..Image
Image......Image
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

cas wrote:...It's kind of like the Ruger Single Six sized version of the .224 Kay-Chuck. (named for gunsmith Robert Snapp IIRC?)
That is certainly one that I've never heard about, and I could not find it in "Cartridges of the World." So I found it by Google search at Reloader's Bench:
http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w224hkc.html
In part:
"224 Harvey Kay-Chuk - Historical Notes:
The late Jim Harvey of Lakeville Arms co., Lakeville, Connecticut, developed this cartridge about 1956-57. It was intended for converted S&W K-22 revolvers. It is based on the K-Hornet wildcat cartridge, but there is also a 224 Kay-Chuk Jr., which is the standard 22 Hornet case trimmed back slightly. This cartridge is noted as being the inspiration for the Remington 22 Jet cartridge...
224 Harvey Kay-Chuk Reloading Data
Bullet (grs.) Powder / (grs.) MV ME Source
40 SP 2400 / 9.5 1652 254 n/a
40 SP Unique / 5.0 1650 242 n/a"
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Mine is either the .44-77 Remington/Sharps Bottleneck, or the .44 Ballard Extra Long.
The .44-77 is one of the old cartridges famous in buffalo hunts, and it's a real thumper with a 430 gr. bullet that moves out at around 1350 fps. This was a cartridge that originally was designed by Rem. for the Rolling Block, and used at the Creedmoor longrange matches. It was quickly picked up by Sharps, and eventually the Rem. name was dropped from the designation, and it's been known as the .44-77 SBN. It became very popular chambering for buffalo hunters using cartridge Rolling Blocks and Sharps 1874's.
The .44 Ballard XL is a much smaller cartridge with a lighter 265 gr. bullet that travels at about the same speed. The Ballard had a much shorter lifespan, as the bigger .44's were more popular, but it's a very easy cartridge to load for, and pretty accurate at 200 yds. or less.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

perry owens wrote:0.577 Snider
Unusual because it bridged the gap between muzzleloaders and breechloaders. The Snider conversion was used on the British Army Enfield muzzleloading rifles after the Crimean War. Also unusual beause each one of my 3 Sniders needs a different combination of powder, wads, OAL and crimp to shoot well.
Cost? Magtech 24gauge brass shotshells at $20 for 25 are cut down, annealed and run into the sizing die.
Performance? Looks and behaves like a miniature artillery shell, but I wouldn't like to get in the way of one of those big, fat soft lead bullets.

Perry Owens
Now THATS unusual. I've played with most of 'em but nothing like that---very interesting :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

thornblom wrote:I would have to say that the .32-20 wcf in my custom martini cadet rifle would be the most unusual and interesting cartridge/rifle combo I own. Starline cases, CCI-Br4 primers, Hornady 100 grain xtp jhp bullets and 12 grains of WW-296 powder produce 1850 ft/sec and is accurate to 200 yards. I have an original Winchester loading tool and bullet mould to complete the outfit. Cast bullets of 115 grains with 9 grains of original 2400 are good close hunting loads and are accurate to 100 yards.

A fun gun to shoot and hunt with, cheap to load, and, with custom stocks, 26" Green Mountain octagon barrel, rust blue job and hand checkering, it ain't hard to look at either.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom
I think we need to see that Cadet - :mrgreen:
Brian in FL
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Brian in FL »

The most unusual?

My 8mm-06 Improved. Basically it's a fire formed .30-06 case. This is a once popular wildcat that dates back to the period around the end of WWII. Brass and cartridges for the 8mm Mauser rifles that GIs were bringing home were very hard to come by. So, a number of gunsmiths rebored the chamber to take the .30-06 case opened up to 8mm. Some went a step further and built the improved version with minimal body taper and a 40 degree shoulder angle. Mine is a carbine sized Mauser that was sporterized. Its performance is similar to the .338-06 Improved wildcat. I've never actually kept track of what my handloads cost per shot. But, I mostly use Speer 150 grain bullets in her. I've never actually maxed out a load for her. Usually I use 54 grains of IMR 4064, and she kicks pretty good.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I guess my most unusual cartridges are:

22 Hornet
260 Remington
7.5x55 Swiss
500 S&W Mag
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I once shot a 7.62 x 54R with a .22 short. The bullet did not completely penetrate the russian cartridge body.

Probably the most unusual cartridge I ever shot was a flare for a 39 mm .. I set it up and shot it with a .22 Magnum.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

:lol: :lol:
Chad
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Don't have anything really unusual but I guess it would be:
7mmBR
7mm TCU
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote:I once shot a 7.62 x 54R with a .22 short. The bullet did not completely penetrate the russian cartridge body.

Probably the most unusual cartridge I ever shot was a flare for a 39 mm .. I set it up and shot it with a .22 Magnum.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

My 45-60 win. 1876 Uberti repro and my 32-40 win. 1894 Winchester. I like the 45-60 the best of the two. With a 350 gr. bullet and 58grs of ffg. :D
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Don't really load anything too unusual at the moment, but I am getting dies/brass/molds together to load 50-95 Winchester and 577 Snider (so I may be asking you for some advice Perry Owens :D )
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

At one time I would have said the 22 Remington Jet as I keep that cartridge and revolver on hand to defend against the illusive but deadly Chupacabra that has seen fit to migrate over here from the SouthWest.

However, these days the answer is far more complex. Everyone knows that government operatives working in the bowels of the Remington R&D department led the charge with the 22 Jet with Smith and Wesson back in the early 60's. But most people don't realize there was a second battle waged in the early 70's by this same group of intrepid bureaucrats. When the Remington group discovered that East German operatives had obtained a DNA sample from the Chupacabra, they knew there was more trouble brewing.

The East Germans apparently intended to breed a more powerful female Olympic athlete with this DNA ... and it's obvious that their efforts were somewhat successful. Clearly the Chupacabra is a hairless yet toothy foe that seeks to devour the hearts of young men. Does anyone think it's a coincidence that East German female Olympians were hairy, toothless, and sought to devour the hearts of young men? Yeah, sure ... just a coincidence.

Thankfully, the government insiders at Remington had the inside track in the early 70's, just as they had in the early 60's with the Jet. But this new beast was a relative of the Chupacabra ... and a European one at that. The old 22 Jet simply wasn't up to the task anymore. You know what I mean ... you've seen the pictures of those East German "women" back in the 70's.

The new solution required new thinking. And because of the European angle, it required ... the metric system. That's when the 5mm Remington Rimfire Magnum was born. Obviously, I have a nice stockpile of 5mm ammo and an original Remington 592 with which to deal it out should any of these East German beasts find their way to Florida.

How do I know that these government agents existed and still fill this role today at Remington you ask? Two words ... "staggering mediocrity". Look at the Remington of today and tell me with a straight face that it isn't infiltrated with government bureaucrats determined to grind out overpriced, mediocre junk that's actually a regression from the stuff they made prior to WWII.

The only question is ... will they answer the call again some day when those crazy North Koreans try to interbreed a new weapon with the ancient DNA of that scourge ... the Chupacabra. I'm not saying I have inside information or anything, but I've been hoarding Jap Nambu cases for years ... just in case. :wink:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

.475 Cooper.
Designed and tested my me, built by L. Cooper (no longer in business).
Was designed to fit six rounds in, and not blow up a rechambered Ruger cylinder.
J. Taffin did an article on it several years ago in American Handgunner Mag.

I have 2 revolvers, though one is not fully completed both fire great. I also have a T/C Contender carbine (16+") barrel that is chambered for the same round. All three are great to shoot.
Not designed to be a romper-stomper, but a mild capable cartridge. It was completed in 1995 and is still going strong for me!
BTW; original brass was from .45-70 cases. Slightly shortened .480 ruger is far easier to make though!
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Well,
Because of Rimfire's warning, it is time to start working on converting my Llama K frame sized .22 to .22 L snapper.
Or I have that other one, anybody got a K frame .22 cylinder?
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

mescalero1 wrote:Well,
Because of Rimfire's warning, it is time to start working on converting my Llama K frame sized .22 to .22 L snapper.
Given the likely size of a North Korean bred Chupacabra ... you might want to lean toward something like the 14 Flea.
Last edited by Rimfire McNutjob on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Ummm...I don't shoot anything usual. If I can walk into the average gunshop and buy it, it really doesn't interest my much (except for 7.62X39 and 9mm). In my case, I load 45-70 (BP only), 45-60, 56-50 Spencer, 50-70, .45 Schofield, .44 Colt and a few others. I am about to take delivery of a 9.3X57 Husqvarna. THAT should be a hoot!
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

mescalero1 wrote:Well,
You need to get a 22LR/22mag gun and hope it has a .223 barrel in it or you will need to replace the barrel . Then the firing pin need to be switch to a center fire . I see $1000 plus to make the gun , bottom line .
Image..Image
Image......Image
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Got a K frame centerfire not being used, got a .22 rimfire barrel not being used, cylinder and chambering is all I am thinking.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

mescalero1 wrote:Got a K frame centerfire not being used, got a .22 rimfire barrel not being used, cylinder and chambering is all I am thinking.
22 rim fire barrel is .222 and the rate of twist and bore is going to be wrong for a high speed .224 bullet . Click on the paste below I think is a better way to go .

http://www.genitron.com/HandgunDB/DB-Se ... mit=Search
Image..Image
Image......Image
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Mine would be 50 AK ,510GNR and 356GNR. The first one in a Marlin 1895 the latter two in Custom Ruger Blackhawks :D All are commercially loaded but I hand load for all.
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

I have come to really enjoy shooting the 375 H&H with light 230 gr bullets at 1700 fps.
Not a new cartridge, but I believe very few folks shoot this combination.
It works on Tx deer and is great for ferrule hogs too.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

For me probably the 358 in a new Hawkeye, the 8mm Rem. Mag., or the 22 Rem Jett. The Jet is a lot of fun it's chambered in a H&R Topper. Pretty easy to load for, since brass is made from .357 mag brass.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Larry O
Levergunner

Post by Larry O »

Mine are the .33, the .40-82--both fine cartridges for deer and elk and my 375 H&H with the 38-55 lead bullet over 22 grains of 4198. Had it go through one deer at 75 yards and not even mushroom.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

(1) What is the most unusual/unique/interesting cartridge you shoot (have shot regularly)?

32 gauge shotgun

Most United Statians have never heard of it. Shucks, apparently most shooters ANYWHERE have never heard of it.

(3) How does it perform?

I'd shoot it like a rifle (never learned to wing shoot) and once I learned to load it properly (frangible over shot wad) it performed quite well.

Back when I shot it regularly (30 years or so back) it was cheap enough I could afford to shoot it. Full brass shells - last nearly forever. Didn't use that much powder or lead. Primers were cheap enough I'd use them to reload 22 shells with.

Now, come to think of it - perhaps reloaded 22 LR ammo might qualify for that.

(1) What is the most unusual/unique/interesting cartridge you shoot (have shot regularly)?

22 LR - reloaded

Most folks claim "it can't be done"

(3) How does it perform?

OK for a "killer round" through a derringer for close up work as a finish on game. Had one round actually go through over an inch of Brazilian hardwood that'd been seasoned for YEARS. Wouldn't qualify for target grade. :)

Two CBC berdan shotgun primers under the rest of the case full of FFFg and topped with a single round of TTT shot - cheap in other words.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

AmBraCol wrote:(1) What is the most unusual/unique/interesting cartridge you shoot (have shot regularly)?
32 gauge shotgun
...OK for a "killer round" through a derringer for close up work as a finish on game. Had one round actually go through over an inch of Brazilian hardwood that'd been seasoned for YEARS. Wouldn't qualify for target grade. :)...
Yup, never heard of it - until I checked a Gauge chart. It is next to the smallest choke, next to the .410 bore.

Yet, it is still quite impressive for a finisher - it is .526 caliber (.526 inch).
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

41 RUSSIAN.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JohndeFresno wrote:
AmBraCol wrote:(1) What is the most unusual/unique/interesting cartridge you shoot (have shot regularly)?
32 gauge shotgun
...OK for a "killer round" through a derringer for close up work as a finish on game. Had one round actually go through over an inch of Brazilian hardwood that'd been seasoned for YEARS. Wouldn't qualify for target grade. :)...
Yup, never heard of it - until I checked a Gauge chart. It is next to the smallest choke, next to the .410 bore.

Yet, it is still quite impressive for a finisher - it is .526 caliber (.526 inch).
Actually, if you re-read that, the "finisher" round was a reloaded 22 long rifle rim fire round. I posted the two different ones as each qualifies for "unusual" for different reasons. The 32 for the scarcity and the 22 LR reload for the fact that so few folks do so. In fact, my cousin and I are the only ones I know of who ever did such a thing. I'm not saying we're the only ones who HAVE, just the only ones I KNOW of.

Now, the 32 gauge was also sold in a nifty little pistol setup. Highly illegal in the US of A after the silly NFA got passed, but sold new to the public in Brazil at least into the 90's. I saw them in "36" (410), 32 and 28 gauges. Barrels about 10 inches long if I recall correctly. Built on a break open shotgun action by Boito - maybe other brands as well.

I always wanted to use the full brass shotshells to load up a black powder cartridge rifle but didn't have access to anyone who could make the barrel.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

AmBraCol wrote:
JohndeFresno wrote:...Yet, it is still quite impressive for a finisher - it is .526 caliber (.526 inch).
Actually, if you re-read that, the "finisher" round was a reloaded 22 long rifle rim fire round. I posted the two different ones...
Thanks for catching that, AmBraCol - I guess I'll have to blame that on Global Warming, since it sure can't be incipient old age and inattention!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

With this august assembly, it's hard to be unique. Using the general shooting crowd at the range, though, they think that my 45-70 is the coolest thing since hot sliced bread. Everyone wants to take a shot and to make the occasion more memerable for them, I'll slip in one of my Rino Loads :lol:

With you guys here, I'd say that my WrenchChester 1895 in .405 would be more in line with the thread topic, or my .218 Bee, perhaps. I also have a 32-20 lurking about that I have not fired as of yet (and may not....I'm starting to think a .357 would be much more utile)

The Bee is the sleeper: While not bearing down too much, it shot into an inch at 50yds with the factory open sights. It would be fun to get this to shoot at minute of popcan at 200yds.

Boy, do you Riflemen have some wonderful examples of The Art out there!!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Probley 22 K hornet. Also .22 remington jet and .256 win mag. But havent been active in it for awhile.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

In some circles, I can get a heated debate going when I say I carried a .41 Magnum duty sixgun. Many folks will insist it does not, and never, existed. I am not sure how much it costs per round, as I rarely shoot my loose old M58 these days, and still have ammo from the 1980's. I have not shot a living thing with it, so I can't say how it performs, unless I look up old ballistics tables.

I did very nearly buy a pre-owned Freedom Arms Model 97 so chambered not long ago; it sat forever at a local dealer, and when I was ready to put it on layaway, I arrived to find it gone from the display case.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Rexster wrote:...41 Magnum duty sixgun. Many folks will insist it does not, and never, existed.
I remember it well. In his book, "No Second Place Winner, ace pistolero, documented shootist and quick draw expert Bill Jordan of the Border Patrol proposed this gun as the ideal law enforcement wheelgun.

The San Francisco Police Department experimented with it. But as happens so many times with government agencies (including the U.S. Army with both the M-16 and the the M-14, at first), they ignored the recommendations and used the wrong ammunition. So the .41 Magnum with its fast jacketed rounds was too much gun. It penetrated too much and its recoil was considered excessive for the average police officer. It is believed by many that it would have probably been a huge success with the slightly milder, more duty-effective lead load as recommended by Jordan.

Anyway, it was eventually a moot point as law enforcement moved to the semi-auto duty gun. But it is indeed a fine piece; one that I'd never let go of if I had one.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I dunno if I posted on this thread or not, and I'm not gonna go all the way back and look.

Probably the most unusual in terms of sheer numbers is a .22 BB cap (17 grain lead ball powered only by a primer, no powder) the oldest cartridge around, and still made, but rarely seen. I have a Stevens Favorite smoothbore designed for it.

Then we have a toss up. I'm not sure whether the Cowboy .45 Special has surpassed the .50-70 in popularity or not, but I shoot em both.

Next would be the .32 S&W (original, not long)

Once my C45S rolling block is complete, I'll have antique arms for all of the above, the newest just about 100 years old, the oldest 1871 or so.
Certified gun nut
LeadHead
Levergunner

Post by LeadHead »

For me I would have to say it is the 444 Marlin. It's not to unusual to find any more but with reloading it becomes a most unique and versatile round.

It can be loaded with a single lead round ball for small game like squirrels and rabbits, a multiple round ball for self defense, a .410 shot shell load for small game, birds or rodents, and up to 405 gr. moose loads. I mainly shoot a 300 gr cast bullet for plinking or deer hunting. There are very few cartridges that can offer this versatility.

The cost for me is pretty low as I shoot mostly, almost exclusively, cast lead bullets from it. I'm still working off several hundred pounds of lead printers type. I estimate it costs me less than $0.30 per round.

It's a great round .

Steve
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

7mm SuperMag.

It's a 357 SuperMag necked down to 7mm. Except that the 357 SuperMag was an Elgin Gates wildcat, a bit longer than the 357 Maximum. When Remington made the 357 Max they (eventually) gave credit Gates with inventing the thing.

So not only is it a wildcat, the parent case is a wildcat :-)

One can make adequate cases using 357 Max brass, but the necks are not much more than 0.1" long. It's designed for a single shot handgun so that's not a problem.

I shoot it from a BF falling block pistol.

(3) How does it perform?

Very accurate. Performance on a par with 7mm TC/U (which I also shoot, and which is positively mainstream compared to the 7mm SuperMag. Yea, I'm a silhouetter).

You can (obviously) only reload it (dies are available from... well... dunno, probably CH4D) so cost of 7mm 140 grain bullet, cost of powder + primer... cases last a long time.

Next up on the list would be .45-75. Paid a fair amount of money* for a Win 1876. Made in '83 or '84 ISTR. Ordered brass from Jameson (ouch. I got 100 .38-40 cases for the same price as 20 .45-75 cases). Ordered dies from CH4D. Waiting for all of this so I can try the rifle out.

* Let's see, about 100 flats (24 beers) of beer equivalent. Or 20k primers. Or, at the exchange rate, about $1500.