Winchester Model 88

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Huntinfool
Levergunner

Winchester Model 88

Post by Huntinfool »

I know there is some difference in the magazines of the Model 88 and the Model 100. I was just wondering what the difference is anyone know exactly what the difference is?

~HF~
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester Model 88

Post by Charles »

The exact difference is one fits a model 88 levergun and the other fits a model 100 autoloader.

Sorry, I tried not to do that, but I lost control.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I am not sure but I know for the rem 760 pump and 740 auto, the auto clip has a hold open feature for the bolt of the semi auto. They can be interchanged, but action won't close on an empty clip unless the little lever is pushed to lower the follower. Just my .02
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Huntinfool
Levergunner

Post by Huntinfool »

iceman wrote:I am not sure but I know for the rem 760 pump and 740 auto, the auto clip has a hold open feature for the bolt of the semi auto. They can be interchanged, but action won't close on an empty clip unless the little lever is pushed to lower the follower. Just my .02

Yeah, I was wondering if that was the main difference same thing goes for the 7400 and the 7600 the newer version of the Remingtons!

I was hoping someone would have some experience with them.

Thanks,
~HF~
natedontgo
Levergunner 1.0

Post by natedontgo »

HF: my magazines for win 88's and 100's work interchangeably,but the 100's magazines have the bolt stop on empty feature,which when functional ,will do the same thing if used in a mod 88..Vice versa also applies... Nate
Huntinfool
Levergunner

Post by Huntinfool »

Well Thanks Fellows! I figured that may be the major difference.

Now my goofy mind is racing with another question.

Has anybody tried to modify the 100 mag to remove the bolt stop feature? I have a good friend who is a pretty good gunsmith do you think this is doable?

TIA,
~HF~
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Shouldn't be a major issue. Probably just have to reshape the follower to a sloped rather than square shape. Not 100% sure but just my .02.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.