What a shame

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

What a shame

Post by jkbrea »

At work a woman turned in a Marlin 336 30-30, no safety. It was a little banged up but in good working order, no rust, clean bore. It is to be destroyed along with a NIB Winchester shotgun and a Sterling pistol. Says she's afraid her husband would use it against her because he's abusive and mental. I hate the fact we don't sell off the seized/turned in guns to reputable dealers for needed funds. I've seen literally truckloads of guns melted down. Most are junk but some would make you cry...Thompsons, commemorative levers and so on. They're usually unreported stolen or in possession of felons. The only good thing I've seen come out of registering guns is locating owners of stolen guns. Some owners never write down the serial numbers to their guns or other valuables for that matter.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I've got records on all the SN's - just don't want to share these with Big Brother!

I think seeing those fine guns destroyed would be more than I could tolerate - or resist! Would probably let temptation get the best of me and land in big-time trouble! :shock:
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Ysabel, I even asked my boss if I could contact the woman and buy the lever but was told no. And it is almost unbearable to watch the guns being melted down. Next time you buy rebar, you may be holding a John Wayne commemerative lever gun in your hands. :shock:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'll never look at rebar again in the same way! :cry: :cry: :cry:
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

[quote="jkbrea"]Ysabel, I even asked my boss if I could contact the woman and buy the lever but was told no. And it is almost unbearable to watch the guns being melted down. Next time you buy rebar, you may be holding a John Wayne commemerative lever gun in your hands. :shock:[/quote

Man I wish I'd never read that! Melted down Winnies,That is so wrong! :cry:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've got records on all the SN's - just don't want to share these with Big Brother!
I think they already know.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What a shame
That is an understatement.

Nothing good comes from destroying an inanimate object. It's idiocy to me.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Now let me get this straight....

She can legally do this without her husbands consent?

I'm assuming it's his property, right?

Did a Judge fax over some document saying hubby is unstable?

What if this is a sick woman who just wants to hurt hubby and knows just how
to do it?

Is there any liability if he comes in and says "where's my stuff?"

Is there no way to "double check" her story before they get the torch?

Did anyone tell her to leave him ASAP cuz guns aren't the only method of
murder?

Did she turn in her kitchen knives? Her kids baseball bat? His truck?

What a scary tale this is :shock:

I better make sure Mama stays happy :D :D
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Words fail me...just fail me...

LeverBob
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

If he wasn't going to shoot her before, he might now!!!

Melt down a John Wayne commemorative!!!!! That would be justifiable homicide.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

The the lady who brought in her husbands gun should be worried her abusive and mental husband will now strangle her.

I agree destroying an inanimate object is asinine.

I have to pick up some rebar to day for a project; I wonder how she'll shoot.
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

I don't mean this to sound too sacreligious(sp) but, I associate the destruction of finely made functional firearms to book burning. People who ban or burn book have a very narrow and unyielding mind. Those who think they know all there is to know about guns and gun safety, while living in a city environment and never being introduced to or using firearms are exhibiting the WORST type of ignorance. "I don't understand how they can be good, so....they (guns) must be evil". Hunting and guns are in some ways very similar in that many people never exposed to either of them, simply misunderstand them and are predisposed to be NON fans. Fellas it's up to all of us to ensure these people are open to both sides of these issues. OK, I'll be quiet now....lol
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thankfully our department sells the firearms that aren't claimed or returnable (no listed owner in the system, any system). We get the first shot at them. Now, guns turned in to be destroyed or used in a suicide for example and the family wants them destroyed, they're chopped up. Watched a new Benelli Black Eagle go down the tubes, I almost puked.
Old Law Dawg
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

How about the NYS Park Police going from a Glock 9mm to a Glock 45GAP. Guess where the 9's went? Destroyed ,thats where!! After all it's only taxpayer money and there is plenty where that came from.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

No wonder buidings & roads are so shoddy nowadays, what with rebar made from Winchester's "mystery" metal! :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by Griff on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

no listed owner in the system, any system
The way it should be...

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Some friends and myself got new shoes and some other stuff by tuning in some junk Jennings one time.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

This reminds me of something a read a while ago, maybe even on the old forum.

My memory is a bit cloudy, but something about an old bridge being demo'd, and the crew was finding reinforcing steel that was actually comprised of old rifle barrels. Does anyone remember this?
Chad
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I responded to a call in which a "soon to be ex-wife" opened his safe and sprayed saltwater on all of his weapons. I wanted to shoot the witch myself! My wife does not know the combo to my safe. I love her and trust her but i know human nature. People will lash out at what will hurt you most. Now I am not for abusive husbands but every person has a right to his personal property (especially guns) until lawfully taken. even then I would question the law. :cry:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

California is facing drastic budget shortfalls and yet they melt down a valuable income source? Makes sense to me LOL!

Sorry but it serves 'em right. Part of the solution is right in front of them and they can't see it.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Wouldnt it be ironic if 100 years from now our great or is it great great grandchildren read history about how all the Liberal Democrats were Communist spies? :twisted: Probably they will look back at us and say "that was a wild time in our history when Citizins could own guns! How scary!" :cry: :cry: :cry:
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

It's just as likely that she is the mentally unstable one; without evidence of abuse by her husband she could just as well be exhibiting extreme paranoia. Additionally, stealing other's property is a crime.

The particular case in the first post should have at least generated an investigation, and given the rightful owner of the property the opportunity to state his side of the case.

PC run amok, dang it all to heck.

- Tristan
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

If I was working the desk I would at least call the husband and get his imput. My ex-wife 22 years ago stold a priceless collection of guns out
of the safe only her and I had the combo to. I owned all but one prior to marrage. One had been owned by audie murphy prior to me!
The detectives questioned her, she wouldnt crack. They took them off the hot list! The dick said, "look you and I both know she stold them. If I
arrest someone with one he will own my house and yours!
They would be considered hers and mine as we were still legaly married! She had ran off with another guy. She used to run my table at gun shows and knew how to sell them!
The best I could do was get her to sign a agreement in the divorice settelment that if somehow any ever showed up they were to be considered mine. She really balked at that, but of course under the circumstances had no choice. None has ever surfaced.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That is sad indeed! :( Both times.
Last edited by C. Cash on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Bill, that is a shame. I had several stolen while traveling in Gadsen, Ala. I had all the serial numbers and descriptions, but I never saw them again. Looked for years at gun shows with no success!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!