45-70 in Browning? modern Lever action ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
seasidehunter
Levergunner

45-70 in Browning? modern Lever action ?

Post by seasidehunter »

Did Browning ever produce a "modern" lever action in 45-70? The single shot 45-70s are beautiful. How do they shoot?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45-70 in Browning? modern Lever action ?

Post by kimwcook »

Yep, Browning made modern lever '86's in 45-70. From everything I've heard about them they're great guns. And, they don't have any silly safety other than the original safety notch on the hammer.
Old Law Dawg
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

Browning (maybe Miroku?) made a modern production 1886 lever in .45-70. Not sure what years they were made.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
pulaski
Levergunner

Post by pulaski »

Seaside
Yes Browning made them . Don't see them very often in the basic model but plenty of the fancy ones .
Mine shoots as good as you can hold it . I run 350g Horn. FP with 49.6g IMR3031
Thanks , Steve
oltimber
Levergunner

Post by oltimber »

Just bought one last week off gunbroker and am goin nuts waiting for it to get hear before i leave for elk huntin wed. lol
seasidehunter
Levergunner

Post by seasidehunter »

What is the model number for them, year etc.

I would like to spend some time looking for one / searching for one, plus a couple of gun shows coming up.

thanks for any addl info.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

kimwcook wrote:Yep, Browning made modern lever '86's in 45-70. From everything I've heard about them they're great guns. And, they don't have any silly safety other than the original safety notch on the hammer.
That describes mine to a "T"! :D
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

seasidehunter wrote:What is the model number for them, year etc.

I would like to spend some time looking for one / searching for one, plus a couple of gun shows coming up.

thanks for any addl info.
Browning 1886
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Seasidehunter, look at gunsamerica.com, gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com, gunsinternational.com.........There are a ton of sights you can view them on. I've looked at some from all those sights the last couple of days.
Old Law Dawg
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I have both the 1886 in 45-70 and the Mod 71 in 348 from Browning. Absolutely the highest quality and value.

Don
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Browning made two different 1886's. The first one was came out roughly in 1986 and was in standard rifle configuration with a full octagon barrel. Serial number was stamped on the side of the receiver. The second one came out in the early 1990's and was a saddle ring carbine. Both were in .45-70 caliber. I owned the SRC and it was a beautiful gun. It was also lighter than the full rifle version. Both were actually manufactured for Browning by Miroku in Japan, with an excellent fit and finish. They are high quality guns. Later, Winchester had a few different 1886's made for them that were also made by Miroku. These had the tang safeties and rebounding hammers, unlike the Browning versions. I owned the 1886 Extra Light. It was also in .45-70.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Here is my Browning 1886 Saddle Ring Carbine, one of my favorite leverguns.
It was manufactured in 1992.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Yes sir, they most certainly did!

seasidehunter
Levergunner

Post by seasidehunter »

Thanks,

awesome pictures, and info.

I get bogged down searching, 1886 brings up lots of guns in diff models, and I know "Browning" designed the old Winchester 1886 too. Just gets confusing, that's why I'm on here trying to learn it up. Thanks

I would love to have one of those Brownings. Nothing against Marlin of course. I'd like to have a MArlin .444 too....

Thanks
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Browning made 7000 of the 1886 SRCs in 1992-1993 (I think). It is my favorite (modern) levergun. Fit and finish is top notch. They run about $1100 for the base model, and $2000 for the high grade. They are often on Gunbroker (a couple recently sold)...I think I even saw one on there now (it's NIB and at $1050, but has high grade wood, just not checkered -- good price).

** Update -- The one I saw referenced above is no longer there. The auction must have closed. But they do have these rifles and SRCs:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =142593518
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =142845669
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =142677421
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... 054984&oh=

Boy, talk about pretty!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory--- ... -owa.shtml

Cabelas has one for sale for about $3000.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Gentlemen,
I bought one used but as new 3 yrs ago for $1200. Top dollar then. It is beautiful and shoots 3/4" grps at 100 yds all day long with a marbles tang and original front. It is also as strong as a RUGER. yOU CAN SHOOT THE StOUTEST LOADS THROUGH IT . If you can handle them . This is the only one I have experienced, but it is a Gem. Even a brain dead blind pig can find an acorn once in a while. Probably the finest rifle I have ever owned.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I will second Pauls sentiments, I have 2 of the Browning 1886's, a carbine and a rifle. They are without a doubt the finest built and finished guns I have.

The rifle is 3rd down. I cut it to 22", added a Lyman No 56 receiver and sourdough front sights, sling, and cut the crescent off the butt.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

That's a really nice picture! I have similar tastes in interior decor...unfortunately the wife doesn't share in my style :?
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Nate C. wrote:That's a really nice picture! I have similar tastes in interior decor...unfortunately the wife doesn't share in my style :?

I wonder if that's why I'm single? There must be a few decent women around that like old guns, log cabins, wild country, and simple living,.....
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
okotoks
Levergunner

Post by okotoks »

'86 +1,

Mine shoots way better than I can either hold or see! Much more accurate than my '95 Guides, very forgiving, and will shoot most any 45-70 load, BP, wimpy unique's, to super sonic Garret +P hammerheads. (shoots accurately 1100>2000 fps)

28-32 gr 5744, 300 gr cast will shoot through the same ragged hole, with no shoulder trauma.
47 gr 30-31 300 gr cast, shoot clovers at 50yds when I can do my part.

It is heavy enough not to buck as much as a Marlin with +P loads, but that's is its only liability as a hunting weapon. I had a "shot gun" leather butt stock made with a filler to get around the curved metal butt plate.
Okotoks
I shoot most any "Keith" lead bullet sized between .429 and .460, bigger & heavier all the better.
single action revolvers and lever action rifles
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

If the original question was about a MODERN levergun, a-la BLR, the answer has to be NO. (Thank goodness...)
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
purdy
Levergunner

Question for you '86 Browning owners

Post by purdy »

I have two '86's (one Browning and one Winchester [USRA]) and neither will chamber loads with Hornady or Speer or Remington bullets. The loads are up to spec., OAL etc. but heavily engrave when forced into the chamber. Aparently these guns have no leade or free bore. Have any of you had this problem and how did you solve it? I think I will have to get someone to do some throat reaming on both guns so I can shoot them. Any suggestions?
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

If you actually take a look at the SAAMI specs for the 45-70, there is no leade called for. Pretty much all the reamer makers will also follow this direction. Rarely are the American rifle makers that anal about following that one aspect but virtually any 45-70 made outside the US (and Browning/USRACs were) fanatically follows it. It might be engrained in them from their own regulatory bureaus that set the policies, such as CIP. Thank goodness that not many follow the spec that calls for a 456 groove diameter or there would be more pressure problems than we see now. I do know of some Euro guns that come with .456 barels but they are rare.

In any case, yes the Miroku made 86s have essentially no throat and you have to choose your components accordingly. Either that or purchase/rent a throating reamer that will correct those characteristics.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Mine will shoot any factory loading, but balks at 350 FNs and only a few 400s will work. Hornady 350 RNs work beautifully and are my bullets of choice for Elk. My original .45-70 and .45-90 LW '86s will chamber anything, but noooo, not the Mirokus. :?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

My '86 Win/Miroku fed all manner of factory loads, and was great with 405-gr. Oregon Trail LaserCast bullets, but would not chamber 440-gr. CPB GC bullet loads. The CPB slugs have a slightly longer, .458" diameter section, ahead of the case, and would get hung up in the lands. So, I throated it a smidge, and now it takes the heavier bullets perfectly.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...