Need an opinion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Need an opinion

Post by huntress »

OK. I need some help here. I know next to nothing about hunting and guns. My daughter Lil huntress was introduced to this sport by 86er and has just been consumed by it. She loves to hunt. She currently has a .22 levergun. She absolutely loves this gun! She loves how it handles and how it shoots. But there is one problem. I am learning that it is good for some things and not others. Since I believe that this will be a lifelong sport for her, I want to give her something a little stronger that she can use on bigger game. She is still a kid, but she is as big as me. Should she get an adult gun or a kids gun? I just do not know what calibur gun to give her. I though what better place to get some valuable opinions than this forum. So if you could take a minute and pass along your opinion on what type of gun I should be getting her I would appreciate it! Thanks for your help! :P
Sandy
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Need an opinion

Post by SmokeEater2 »

huntress, What type game animals does she want to hunt? Deer,bear,hogs,etc.?
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

probably should not, but I feel like wading right in. I would suggest a Winchester 94 or a Marlin 336 with either of them being chambered in 30-30. Okay let the opinion games begin.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

30-30 :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

First, I would let lil huntress try a few different types of actions. If she still likes Leverguns (i hope) I would go for a .32/20 or .357M. If she prefers bolt actions a .22 Hornet or .243 might be OK.
It really depends on the type of game as to what is suitable.
A lot of rifles can be had in youth models too but I would tend to keep away from too hot a caliber until she can manage the recoil.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I think I remember a recent hunt reported where she nailed a deer. Perhaps she would like a gun like the one she used successfuly (I looked for the post for more info, but couldn't find it).
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

6mm with a good 3X9 scope!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

A 30-30 is pretty hard to beat for effectiveness on most game animals and has a fairly light recoil. My 94 in 30-30 doesn't have near the felt recoil of my M92 in 44 mag. As others have said, a lot depends on what she wants to hunt, but a 30-30 fills the bill pretty well in North America. IMHO
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Let her handle a few guns...

If she likes the short leverguns, get a .357 Magnum - very versatile, ammo is inexpensive, etc.
If she likes the longer leverguns, a .30-30 is hard to beat, but if she's petite the extra length might bother her.
If she likes bolt-action guns, and long range shooting, a .243 or 6mm is versatile, easy shooting.
If she likes shorter range shooting, like midwestern deer, etc., and wants a bolt action consider the Ruger 77/44 in .44 Magnum

I agree that she might do best with whatever she used on the deer before.

Good luck and thanks for helping her grow up so well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

If you want a newly manufactured gun, a Marlin 336W in 30-30 should do well. On the used market, a Marlin 336Y in 30-30 would probably be nearly perfect for her. The 30-30 will take anything in the Republic of Texas (or any of the other "Lower 47" for that matter), and with very tolerable recoil.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'd let her pick whatever she wants. I am not a big fan of the 243 and similar class cartridges for beginners. The 308 can be downloaded or used with Managed Recoil ammo and the 7mm-08 similarly. The suggestions for the 30-30 are good since she has and likes her Henry lever action. Henry's 30-30 is great but may be a little heavy and long for her. The Marlin 336 Spike or 336Y are short barrel/short stock and would probably be a good fit. 30-30 ammo is relatively inexpensive too. The power level will suffice for nearly anything she wants to pursue, especially around here. With a Winchester 94, you could have the stock cut and a nice recoil pad installed so it fits her well. I'd let the deciding factor between Marlin and Winchester be whether she prefers a pistol grip or straight stock. There a a # of good bolt action rifles too, so let her feel a few and narrow it down to what handles the best. Also, don't overlook the use market, like Cabelas used gun rack. Once in a while a bargain can be had on a like new rifle.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm in the what feels good all-around cartridge camp. 86er is right, a .308 can be used with managed recoil ammo (i.e. .30-30 ballistics).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I don't believe you can beat a lever gun in 30.30 . Marlin or Winchester or maybe a Henry for that matter . At last count I own nine in 30.30 . I shoot 150 grain mostly and some 170 grain. If I make contact with with either of these rounds , they don't far , if they walk at all.

......................Mutt............
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

This is the only Marlin Youth model I could find for sale on the major internet sites:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/902040744/Gu ... _30_30.htm
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I love how this wee lass is up to go hunting, that is so cool :D

Because of a size thing possibly going on here how about a CZ in the 7.62x39?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

i agree that Lil Huntress's opinion should make the final decision. So let her try as many different types and calibers of rifle as you can find.

if she sticks with a levergun, you can't go wrong with a Marlin M-336, especially if she wants to scope-sight her rifle. Another good choice would be some version of the M-92 SRC in either .357 Magnum or .44 RemMag. In any event, she should geet a chance to shoot those types and chamberings of rifles before she makes her decision.

I can't decide who is luckier, you, Lil Huntress, or us for having a chance to influence a new huntress.

I'm really glad to see you encouraging her and trying to help her get started right.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I found the earlier post about her recent Scimitar hunt. No details were given on the rifle she used but she looks comfortable holding it in the pics, and obviously she can shoot it!
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i'd go with a rossi 92 .357 with a 16" barrel. the .357 might be the most versatile round for hunting big and small game, self-defense and plinking. using .38 specials, it's got to be the most economical centerfire to shoot. shooting ,practice, and shot placement means more than caliber selection. you could probably take all north american game with this combination, shot placement and range estimation being critical. hope this helps.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Hobie wrote:I'm in the what feels good all-around cartridge camp. 86er is right, a .308 can be used with managed recoil ammo (i.e. .30-30 ballistics).

True, The .308 would give you a lot of options and it ups the game if need be from the 6mm stuff and with reduced loads----perfect!
greyowl
Levergunner

Post by greyowl »

If she likes lever rifles, a Winchester or Marlin in 30-30 would be a good choice. The Win. are a little lighter, but Marlins can be bought new and have a good service department. If these are a bit to big and hard to handle yet, a short term stop gap could be a New England Firearms single shot handi-rifle in a youth model. A couple of calibers available that are easy for kids to handle. My own daughters started with these in .243 and 30-30. They are inexpensive, so if used for only a year or two you don't have much in it. From there they graduated to a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. with a 1" pad to cut felt recoil. The 1894 is a light carbine, easy to handle, though a 94 Win. in 30-30 with a good pad installed and LOP set at proper lenght should work as well. Just my .02 cents. Good luck.
Shooting is the national passtime/ walk softly and carry a big stick
HATCHETTJACK
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HATCHETTJACK »

marlin has a nice bolt action rifle in 270 called the xl7.... for around 300.00, she would grow into it and use it for life... a marlin 336 in 308 marlin express is another good choice....
WATCH YOUR TOP KNOT
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

30-30.

let her pick the platform.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

I have 2 daughters there older then Lil Huntress's 25 and 21.and but they both liked the 30/30 Marlin i just picked up. I took it to the range by my house where they both shot 10 rounds each to try it out. Katie the 21 is small 4'11'' wanted to shoot it some more and my older daughter wants to use it to go deer hunting with this year [hoping she still wants to go on opening day] But what ever gun she get I know she will enjoy it .
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Seeing the pictures of her hunt it looks like she was using a bolt action. Given that I'd say that something like a 7mm Mauser would be about perfect. It is a low intensity round compared to a lot of stuff out there today and it will do the job. The famous African Ivory hunter W.D.M. Bell used one to kill elephants, but he also shot them with surgical precision.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I agree on letting Lil huntress be the deciding factor on which gun she prefers. With some guidance as to caliber. I don't know her knowledge on calibers. I noticed she was left handed and a large number of left handed people learned to shoot right handed guns, but there are more manufacturers making left handed models now more than ever. The medium calibers are where I'd be looking as she is still young and we don't need to be instilling a large flinch factor in her shooting. 30-30 to 308 is a good place to start in my opinion. Although, I remember my first 30-30 and it kicked me like a mule. I was around 12 years old. Good luck.
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

For a bolt gun I would recommend a Stevens 200 in .308 they are a great gun at a great price. For a lever a Marlin in 30-30 is the way to go. As 86er said you can get reduced loads from Remington for both rounds. and both guns and cartridges can grow with her for just about any hunting in the country (baring large exotics like water buffalo). Heck if she gets into reloading she can load the .308 anywhere from supper light round ball loads good for squirrel all the way to loads that will take elk same can be done with the 30-30.

http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/ ... e/336C.asp
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

I agree with letting her try many until SHE decides. I would make sure she tried a lever in 357mag/38spl and 44mag/44spl,... 38/44 spl's are readily available ammo at relatively affordable prices compared to most others.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

If you can get your hands on a Remington 700 or Model 7 in 7-08 that would make a fine gun. Remington offers reduced recoil loads that they claim cut the recoil in half. You still get a 140 gr bullet. The 7-08 is not a bad kicker anyway and the new guns come with a recoil pad.

I am a lever man but the 7-08 in a short bolt gun like the Model 7 makes a lot of sense. She will likely be fine with a youth stock for a long time to come especially if she is wearing a jacket.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Can't add much more, but just another vote for a .308 bolt action. As noted, it can be downloaded now with commercial fodder in the .30-30 range, and yet she can grow with it as she gets older right up to the full power .308 rounds. Good luck!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I have bought my son one rifle. A custom built Remington single shot bolt action 22 LR. He was 10 years old. Over the years he has shot my 22, 357 and 44 lever actions and my AR15's that I could really care two hoots in hell about. His favorite is the AR's, but every time we go out he still takes that little Remington. I don't know what rifle HE will buy but that first one will always be along for the ride.

Ya just never know what they will prefer when they are old enough to make their own choice. In the mean time allow her to shoot whatever anybody and everybody offers. She will be well educated and have alot of fun. Ain't this great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

So did you decide?
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'll add another recommedation for a .30-30 if the girl is interested in lever guns, and a .243 if she is looking at a bolt gun.

Neither is overly exotic, both are easy recoil calibers, are available in models that will fit smaller frames, and are easily capable of taking a wide variety of game.

JMO

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Senior Levergunner

Re: my opinion

Post by 2571 »

My daughter went from a rolling block .22, made in the early 1900's to a .45-70. Admittedly, she had to get used to the new rifle, mostly because it was a lever gun. When she got old & wealthy enough, she went back to the single shot, a Shiloh Sharps in .45-70.

Let your kid have what she wants.
huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Post by huntress »

Thank you so much for the opinions. I knew I was going to the right people! It sounds like 30-30 is a good choice and I agree with her trying as many out as she can. So that is my new focus...exposing her to the different guns you all suggested. From someone who knows nothing about this topic, I truly from the bottom of my heart appreciate the feedback! :P
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

If you decide not to go the lever-action route the 7mm-08 is an excellent choice. But look hard at the little .260 Remington. I've become very attached to mind and am thinking about having a heavy barrel built in this caliber. VERY light recoil and super flat shooting.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Didn't Lindsay use the .30-30 the gang donated to the ranch to take that deer last summer (though I do think they downloaded the cartridge)? I think a Winchester or Marlin in .30-30 is the perfect rifle. If not that one, then a Rossi in .38/.357 will also be able to take deer-sized animals and hogs, as well as smaller game (e.g., squirrels). Joe can weigh in here, but the .30-30 also has more "top end" for the larger game she is now starting to go after. I'm partial to leverguns, although many of the experts will recommend a bolt action rifle.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

As an afterthought, and just to counterpoint, don't entirely rule out an AR-15; she can later expand to other chamberings (you could also get the longer action 'AR-10' one even). Check out the offerings from DPMS, for instance.

Politically incorrect, and definitely not a 'levergun', but perhaps not too long from now impossible to get. .223 is a very versatile round in and of itself, and a nice compliment to a big-bore levergun like a .444 or .45-70, or even a .35 Remington.

She can get short 'handy' barrels but also heavy target ones, and they can be extremely accurate.

Anyway, just another option.

A basic 'collection' she could work towards as she grows could be:

1 - .22 LR rifle and .22 LR handgun 'pair' (i.e. 10/22 Ruger and Mark II Ruger or 96/22 Ruger and Single Six Ruger)

2 - .357 or .44 Mag carbine and handgun 'pair' (i.e. Marlin 1894 and Ruger Blackhawk)

3 - bottleneck/long range bolt action (or semiauto) rifle - whatever chambering she likes, depending on her recoil tolerance

4 - shotgun - unless she gets into skeet or bird hunting, a pump 20 or 12 gauge for home protection?

5 - levergun rifle (vs. carbine) .30-.30, .35 Rem, .444 Marlin, .45-70, depending on her recoil tolerance

6 - DA revolver (like Ruger SP101, Charter Bulldog) or semiauto handgun for self-defense (at least 9mm 'power' level)

# 3, 4, & 5 are highly dependent on the recoil tolerance she develops, but # 1 & 2 she can start on right away. If she wants the bottleneck/long range firearm before the # 2 pair, just let her pick a cartridge she can handle well. # 6 would be for when she's of age to carry concealed for protection.

I know that the above 'collection' winds up being 8 guns, and that's quite a few and lots of money, but I'm talking something to work towards long-term, plus some of the guns can be found used and inexpensively. In the end, she'd have a versatile collection.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "