OT: Honey Creek-Black Cat Bow Deer Down

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Honey Creek-Black Cat Bow Deer Down

Post by 86er »

12 days on the stand have finally paid off! Whew - a relief. I started bowhunting on Oct. 3rd and have been in the stand as much as possible, morning and night. One day, Day 5, I had a buck come in and a loosed an arrow. The buck got cut by the fletching and left a spot of blood, but he grazed, played with another really big buck that joined him and ran around. The nick on that deer was a combination of equipment failure and shooter error. I tuned all my equipment and made some changes to my clothing, stand position and release. On day 7 in the stand I shot the Boss Hog. No deer. Today I discussed the deer situation with the responsible parties and we mutually agreed on the number of does, management bucks and culls we should take for quality deer management. I have been using a decoy on alternate days. Decoys are controversial when the dominant buck is not necessarily your target. Fawns and spikes will come to a doe decoy but adult does rarely do. Bucks will come to a doe but only when it's "time". Young deer avoid bucks and does don't want to be harassed either (yet) so only bucks come to a buck decoy. Today I put my decoy (aka Two Tail) out as a doe by removing the antlers. At 6:00 a deer appeared out of no-where out front and to my left. It was absolutely fixated on Two Tail. At first I thought "Aw, just a little buck". Upon further study as the deer stood 30 yards away staring at the decoy I realized this was the kind of cull deer we talked about earlier today. It was a 2 year old and had uneven antlers and 3 points on one side with 2 on the other. The deer presented a broadside shot at 30 yards. When the arrow sailed the buck "ducked the string" more than any other deer I've ever seen. He actually dropped his belly into the mud and made a splash, then stood back up in an instant. I thought "Oh man - I missed". The deer looked around and then started to move towards the decoy one step at a time. I slowly knocked another arrow and got ready. The buck was literally less than 10 yards away now straight down from the stand. As I was about to draw back the little guy extended his neck and gave Two Tail a big kiss, then fell over on his side stone dead. Not a flinch or a quiver! Upon further inspection, the arrow did hit about 4" high but it got the top of a lung and came out through the middle of the opposite lung. I think this is the same deer I nicked 7 days ago! I'll look for a cut when I cut him up tomorrow morning. Here's the "Big Guy" -

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Honey Creek-Black Cat Bow Deer Down

Post by kimwcook »

Good deal, Joe. Beats the heck out of getting stumped and tastes better. Never really got into archery. At least not since my parents bought my brother and I a recurve when I was about 12.
Old Law Dawg
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D Congrats on the deer Joe !! I tried myself today and had a tremendous......quiet day :lol: Lovin' the bow more and more............ it's like takin' 2 hours to watch 60 minutes. :D Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
huntress
Levergunner 1.0

Post by huntress »

Well it's about time! I guess you are a good hunter after all...LOL. Very impressive. I know I couldn't have done that. After all you have been through to get that deer, I bet it feels real good right now. Congratulations!

Sandy :P

BTW Like the face paint
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Good show Joe!
That looks like,prime venison. Pursuant to another current post, be careful with the liver and let me know how it turn out? :)
You hog backstrap was super!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

congrats Joe. I'm venison poor right now. Working hard to rectify that. Glad to see some success elsewhere for folks.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Good hunting and congratulations! Any time you can get close enough to an animal to stick an arrow in it makes it a trophy.
Ricky

DWWC
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well done Joe :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!