OT - Single action .22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Single action .22

Post by foxtrapper »

Knowing that the single six may have problems in the accuracy department. Besides a F.A. what would be a good choice for a stock .22?
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I have only read (on the internet) about accuracy problems.
My experience with the single six has been great, I guess they could be made to be more accurate, but I would never be able to tell. I cannot shoot tighter groups than any of the single sixes I have shot.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Mine does pretty good, though I've not found the load that would shoot quarter sized groups at 25 yards. Mine shoots the mags from the mag cylinder a bit better. From reading here, it seems the bores are often a smidge oversize for the standard 22 LR but the .001 bigger 22 mag. bullet fits it better. That's what I've heard but have never broken out the dial caliper to confirm it all. Also, others here recommend Paco Accurizer tool to fatten out, uniform and create a flat point on standard 22 Lr ammo...looks pretty slick. I'm gonna get me one as soon as recover from Christmas. I wouldn't steer away from a good Single Six...they are just too neat a handgun.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Even the "inaccurate" Single Sixes shoot more accurately than the majority of the people holding them.

Now if all a person cares about is setting at a bench, shooting from a rest that's one thing. If you are looking for a working gun to use in the field, that's another.
Dakota Mike
Levergunner

Post by Dakota Mike »

Two weeks ago I picked up a new Ruger 22 single six. I have put over eight hundred 22 LR through it and am quite happy with it. I have not tried the 22 mag cylinder and probably never will. From what I understand they are bored for the 22 mag which is .224 and the 22LR is .223 which has caused some problems in the past. The accuracy I am quite pleased with. Does it shoot as tight as my Kimber Target? No and I did not expect it too.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

I should have been more clear. I own a single six, bought it new in 1979. I carried it on my hip during the hunting season whether for deer or upland game. Basically for a coupe de graus on a wounded deer and the occasional plinking at rocks and such. Now that I have retired I am taking shooting a little more seriously . I bought a few different boxes of ammo trying to make this Six shoot and it does'nt like anything. With the mag cylinder in its just as bad with one chamber throwing a flyer consistently . What I have should of done was sent it back to Ruger to make sure it was in spec. Do you think thats still a option? I see Dave Clements has come up with a way to make them more accurate keeping the gun stock. But the fix depends on the gun, could be $65.00 or up to $300.00. Thats why I asked if there is anything else out there, may be cheaper to sell the Six and start new. Thanks for all input :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Not to cast dispersions on your ability but I think before I did that I'd find someone else to give it a try and see how they do with it. I make no secret of the fact that SA's are not my friends. I just can't shoot them well at all. I ca qualify master with a S&W M27 but a Superblackhawk is a strange bird to me. there's just something about the way they sit in my hand I guess. Now my son has a Bisley Single Six that I can shoot, but that's the only one I've found that works for me.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Don't set an unreasonable expectation for yourself, by expecting target pistol sized groups from a single-action trail gun.

There's no way any single action is going to be as accurate as a target auto, or even a DA revolver shot in single action mode - since the SA's heavy hammer fall will defeat your best efforts, every time.

As you've noted, SA's can be reworked for better accuracy - but at a cost.

If were you, I would talk to Ruger's service department - who knows, they may fix it for the bubble.

If I wanted a target grade plinker, I'd look for a used target gun in the $200-$300 range, of which there are many examples around.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Rusty I have and reload a couple of Superblack hawks and Blackhawks that I do pretty good with :) Its not that I'm trying to get a target gun out of a trail gun. Be nice to hit a pop can at twenty yards with a rest :cry: I'll give Ruger a call see what they say. Thanks again guys :!:
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I had one of these and could hit a paper plate at 20 paces regularly.

Image :wink: