My growing frustration with finding a front sight hood.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
doorgunner
Levergunner

My growing frustration with finding a front sight hood.

Post by doorgunner »

A week or so ago I posted my progress and finally a post on the finished 1971 Winchester 94 that I restored back to near factory new condition. Well the final step was waiting on my front sight hood that I ordered from Numerich (gun parts corp.). What they sent me was NOT a Winchester 94 front sight hood, but a shorter hood that fits gosh know what. I'm about to pull my hair out over this simple little part. I used to have several of these in my parts bins, and over the years gave them away to folks who bought used 94's, which didn't have them. Now I find myself in dire need of one.

If anyone has one, and is willing to sell it to me, please let me know. At this point, I'd be glad to pay you more than it's worth, because I'm sick and tired of looking at this beautiful Model 94 without the proper front sight hood, and I want this project complete.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide me.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Re: My growing frustration with finding a front sight hood.

Post by LeverBob »

DG...this is a good learning experience...cool your jets! Joe will be along soon enough, he or someone else in the family will get you one.

Some tell you to take it and throw it into a parts bin. Bad advice! Use it to protect the frt. sight & just remove it when you start the hunt. Put it back to protect the sight when you're done. Make it part of your drill! I forgot to remove mine on my .375 Mauser....it wound up 15 ft. out in the dirt after a full power load. Heh! Heard the ping & went looking posthaste. I don't make that mistake anymore!

Don't worry pard, somehow we'll get you one...

LB
doorgunner
Levergunner

Post by doorgunner »

Thanks Bob. This restoration has been a slow, and laborous process. I've enjoyed every minute of it, but I get a little cranky when I need something so simple, and can't find it.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

doorgunner,

Give Browning Winchester parts a call. They still used the sight hoods on those 94AE versions that used the ramp front sight.

I "may" or "may not" have any spares as I keep them on my rifles also. But I will look.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Have you tried asking at your local funshop(s) and/or gunsmith(s) ?

Many such keep a scrounge box of odd parts, and may let you sort through it.

I've picked up (cheap) ALL sorts of "stuff" like that, from obsolete grips, to magazines, to sights, to buttplates - whatever.

gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'm in the same boat for several. They're around; keep looking. That said, after you I'll probably be asking on here too! If I run across spares, I'll give you a jingle. Hopefully you'll have found yours by then!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Doorgunner,

I would love to help you out. You can have the one I have off my Big Bore 94 as I will never use it again. I think it is the same standard sight hood, and mine looks brand new. Give me your address and I'll get it off to you. Chris
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
doorgunner
Levergunner

Post by doorgunner »

Thank you Chris. I sent you a PM.

CoSteve: I've already spent $11 with Numerich for a "mystery sight hood", so I'd prefer to buy from someone who knows what a W94 hood really is. Based on that pic, the correct hood could be #2 or #3. Impossible for me to tell without looking at them from the side, to determine the correct height, and double slope on both ends.

Pete: Called my local gunshop last week, and asked. They advised that they didn't have any in stock. That was the first place that I checked.

Thanks to those who replied. I appreciate the leads and advice. Chris was generous enough to part with one.

Brian
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

COSteve wrote:Have you tried Bob's Gun Shop? He's showing the following front sight hoods.
I believe that would be 1, 2, 3 or 5 as correct Winchester front sight hoods (if #4 is, I don't have a rifle with a matching profile to the hood). Depending on the width of the ramp of your 1971, I'm sure I have one. My 1970 M94 takes a thinner one than my 1972 M64A, which appears identical to my 1978 & 1979 M94s.

If I could lay my hands on my calipers I'd measure the sight bases so you could compare to yours and I'd be sure to send ya the right one... but, I'm getting ready to leave this am for Grandma's and Thanksgiving Day dinner, so I'm afraid you'll have to have a little more patience. If you don't have one by the time I get back, I'll search thru my spare parts better.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

You bet doorgunner. This one looks like #2 on the photo, and like all the recent 94's that I've handled/owned. Going in the mail and hope it works out for you!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
doorgunner
Levergunner

Post by doorgunner »

Thanks again Chris.

Brian
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I've been looking for one for a long while now. My 9422 has been without a front hood going on 3 or 4 months now.

Browning has discontinued manufacturing/selling them.

The Numrich's site only lists an aftermarket that doesn't look a thing like the factory.

Bob says he doesn't have any factory hoods either.

I remember they used to be $1.50 direct from Browning before they ran out, as I bought a couple for my 30-30s.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

go to EBAY 160379291481 they have 2 on bids here just go to ebay and put in this number, good luck...
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Try the Gun Garage @ 479 524-2038. Good kind a guy, 1886.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

If you need parts boys, try Ahlman's gunshop in Morristown, Minn. They're on the web. Old friends of mine. Need parts or old sights? (Maybe a Redfield 70 or 80 peep)? Sourdoughs, King types...they have them or they will even make them for you. Great people.

Marty (the old man-SASS Coyote Cap) did an action job on my 336 yrs. ago & Tim (Mogollon Drifter SASS) does CO2 laser engraving. If you need the web sites just pm me. They both are terrific gunsmiths specializing in SA's & LA's. Marty's brother Larry owns the shop. They have everything! The Ahlman's can stay with me anytime they want & as long as they want...that should be good enough.

LB
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

i've got a couple in the parts bin, pm me if you want one.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

See DG...problem solved... thru the levergun family.

Blessings to you & yours...

LB
doorgunner
Levergunner

Post by doorgunner »

Thanks again LB. You guys are good people!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »